Former UNI guard Nate Heise taking visit to Ames Monday (committed)

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
We must be out on Hadley then?
Not necessarily with NIL.

With the right sized check and potential for playing time, maybe both Hadley and Heise make sense. TJ has proven one thing over his first 3 years, the best players play! Whether that is true freshman like Lipsey or Momcilovic. Or a transfer from Denver named Rob Jones.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Super interesting. So less than 5 minutes per game.
I am sure the analytic folks can give a more precise mpg. But Milan had to play more than 5 mpg at the 4. Tre King only play 23mpg. And the combination of Rob Jones & Ward played 38mpg. So obviously Milan had to play the 4/5 spot a lot of those 19 mpg.

When Watson played his 10mpg, was he a 3 or a 4? I think we would be splitting hairs due to how positions blur (aka Momcilovic is a 3/4, Watson is a 3/4 while Tre King is more a 4/5).

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If he's the 3/4 type that makes ISU potentially very interchangeable next season which is not fun for opponents.

No complaints here.

Reactions: 83cy

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
It’s at least that, as he could have been at the 4 when Pav was in too.

I don’t think it’s negative if he’s getting 15+ more minutes per game at the 4

He’s not less mobile than King, so on defense you’re getting better perimeter defense at the 3 and 4 for worse post defense at the 4

On offense, you’re pulling out the opposing 4 better, and making Milan have positionally a better handle/quickness for driving, but do lose some of his posting up smaller guys offense

If Hadley is the 3, he’s a better rebounder than Milan was at that spot, offsetting losing King’s rebounding

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The poster implied Heise committing meant Hadley is out

All-in means getting both

Don’t feel like we have enough minutes to offer to get them both. Honestly, I’m surprised we had interest from anyone other than true interior players. The 1-3 positions seem pretty set. Only question really is just how small TJ is wanting to go for the 4.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Less than 5 minutes a game over the course of the season for that specific group. But a slightly disproportionate number of those minutes came in conference play onward (131 minutes from 1/6 on), and now that I'm at home I looked at the numbers with Pav included, which adds another 42 minutes. That's a bit over 7 minutes a game with MM at the 4, once conference play hit. Not a ton, but not nothing considering the limitation on guard depth to be able to push MM to the 4.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I am sure the analytic folks can give a more precise mpg. But Milan had to play more than 5 mpg at the 4. Tre King only play 23mpg. And the combination of Rob Jones & Ward played 38mpg. So obviously Milan had to play the 4/5 spot a lot of those 19 mpg.

When Watson played his 10mpg, was he a 3 or a 4? I think we would be splitting hairs due to how positions blur (aka Momcilovic is a 3/4, Watson is a 3/4 while Tre King is more a 4/5).
When I'm looking at lineups, I'm considering Watson the 4 and MM the 3. You're right that it's kind of blurry. Offensively, MM is clearly the 3 when both he and Watson are in. Defensively it probably depends on matchups. But on net, Watson is more of the 4 than MM is. If Hadley were to come and play in lineups alongside MM, I think that it would be very blurry which is the 3 and which is the 4.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
The poster implied Heise committing meant Hadley is out

All-in means getting both
Hadley is said to be a natural 4 that can play the 3 so Heise and his minutes aren't related.

As of now we have Jackson and Rock at the 5. Would feel a lot better if we added a 3rd (kyle). Watson and for now Momcilovic available at the 4. Could definitely use 2 guys that can log minutes here (Hadley and again Kyle). Definitely need bodies to fill minutes. Hadley needed at the 4 is what IMO makes their minutes unrelated.

Help Support Us

Become a patron