For thosewho watched the game...what happened on that last drive???!!!

COcyguy

Aug 30, 2014
Tried to get pressure. 1-on-1 coverage. Wrong calls IMO. Wasn't remotely close to what we were doing all night long. Sent too many guys on the blitz, needed to have safety help over the top. We had momentum. Their kicker had been shaky all year. A long fg would have been in our favor. On the bright side, the offense put up 45 on a pretty good defense.
The killer was 14 points off 2 turnovers.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
22 seconds left.

So manning up a linebacker on their best receiver in that situation is a better plan? Ok.

Still. 22 seconds with two timeouts and needing only about 40 yards to be in field goal range. If we were up 4, absolutely play prevent there.

And while Brackins is a linebacker in name, he's our nickleback. Let's not pretend like we were matching Matt Robertson up on him or something.

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive
Don't have a kicker that can kick the ball deep in the end zone so we gave up a decent return (Strong said he was planning on taking a knee and going to OT until they got a good return). Then we decide to play man to man with 28 seconds left instead of having safeties over the top so we don't give up a big play. An incompletion or 2 and they take a knee. How you don't roll into prevent there is beyond insane. So they had a couple time outs...keep everything in front and the worst case scenario they are trying a real long field goal. The one thing you for sure can't do is get beat deep. Instead we end up with a linebacker man to man on a WR with zero safety help. Just don't get it.

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Don't have a kicker that can kick the ball deep in the end zone so we gave up a decent return (Strong said he was planning on taking a knee and going to OT until they got a good return). Then we decide to play man to man with 28 seconds left instead of having safeties over the top so we don't give up a big play. An incompletion or 2 and they take a knee. How you don't roll into prevent there is beyond insane. So they had a couple time outs...keep everything in front and the worst case scenario they are trying a real long field goal. The one thing you for sure can't do is get beat deep. Instead we end up with a linebacker man to man on a WR with zero safety help. Just don't get it.

The return only got them to the 28. That's only a difference of 3 yards compared to a touchback.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Still. 22 seconds with two timeouts and needing only about 40 yards to be in field goal range. If we were up 4, absolutely play prevent there.

And while Brackins is a linebacker in name, he's our nickleback. Let's not pretend like we were matching Matt Robertson up on him or something.

Ben Bruns said that Brackins went inside a pick instead of outside and got a step behind. Give Swoopes some credit for a great throw.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
While that ending will keep me up all night now, I'm also really encouraged that we may finally have the formidable offense we've been looking for all season.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Cryinggifs_01_1.gif

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive
Just stating what their coach said. And the fact remains we have to cover almost every kick cause we can't kick it through the end zone. Our kick coverage is pretty good but you never give up a big return of they never return it.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

22 seconds is 4 plays. I would much rather make them complete 4 10 yard plays, while in a prevent (and I'm not talking complete lazy prevent, more like a soft zone) then go man to man, risking a big play over the top.

But it hey we can agree to disagree. Tough game tonight but we are improving, which is great to see. Have a nice night and hopefully we come out and compete again when Oklahoma rolls into town!

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Just because you're in man coverage doesn't mean you don't have cover 2 over the top with the safeties. Give me man over zone every day of the week. Soft zone is 15 yard completion after 15 yard completion for just about every quarterback in college football.

And all the prevent does is prevent you from winning games. Have you not watched us play prevent and give up scores shortly before halftime or the end of games?

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
While that ending will keep me up all night now, I'm also really encouraged that we may finally have the formidable offense we've been looking for all season.

Hopefully it's not an aberration.

I do find encouragement in the fact that Sam is wearing out Lazard, Montgomery, and Bibbs. Those guys have a ton of catches the last 2 games. Probably 13 each at least.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The call on the catch at the 5 yard line was correct...but if ISU makes that same catch we're ruled out of bounds on review. It was really close. The first big play is where there's more fault.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
The call on the catch at the 5 yard line was correct...but if ISU makes that same catch we're ruled out of bounds on review. It was really close. The first big play is where there's more fault.

There was clearly green grass between his foot and the sideline. It really wasn't close at all. It was an obvious call.

So if it was us, it probably would have been ruled out of bounds.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
There was clearly green grass between his foot and the sideline. It really wasn't close at all. It was an obvious call.

So if it was us, it probably would have been ruled out of bounds.

i feel like the way our replays go the obviously in foot we're still not in control of the ball and when we have control it's the next step that is out of bounds. Again it was the right call, but based on recent history I doubt ISU gets the right call in that situation. Control was very close on the first in bounds step, call on the field should have stood and did, ISU doesn't get that though.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron