Football Recruiting: Ernst Brun an All-American

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Hopefully he is as sure handed as Collin Franklin. He seems more of a big reciever than a TE.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Hopefully he is as sure handed as Collin Franklin. He seems more of a big reciever than a TE.

In all honesty, Collin was kind of like that. We used him split out quite a bit. He was a good blocker, don't get me wrong but his best asset was his receiving capabilities.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
In all honesty, Collin was kind of like that. We used him split out quite a bit. He was a good blocker, don't get me wrong but his best asset was his receiving capabilities.

Blocking was historically Collin's weak point but to his credit he worked on it and stepped it up. How good of a blocker does Mr. Brun appear to be, yaman?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Blocking was historically Collin's weak point but to his credit he worked on it and stepped it up. How good of a blocker does Mr. Brun appear to be, yaman?

This is all going off of his comments and others so it's really nothing I cam up with or looked at but I think he's a pass catcher. Even he says he has work to do blocking so I imagine at this point it is somewhat weak. You know, if he never focused on it much, then it may be something that he catches on to and will improve right away. I kind of get the impression from his comments that in the past it hasn't been a focus. I would guess in terms of blocking we should hope for him to just hold his own if he's on the field this year. I'm not all that concerned with it. I think we have other blocking TEs (That's what Howard kind of was when he came in) that can take over that part. I don't want to devalue TE blocking but I just don't feel that's what he was brought in for.

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
I said the big reciver comment, because this guy is 6-4 225 lbs. Collin was 6-7 250, he had NFL size.

At 225 I don't see him being in on many rushing plays. We do still have Ricky Howard and Hammerschmidt to be our run blockers.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This is all going off of his comments and others so it's really nothing I cam up with or looked at but I think he's a pass catcher. Even he says he has work to do blocking so I imagine at this point it is somewhat weak. You know, if he never focused on it much, then it may be something that he catches on to and will improve right away. I kind of get the impression from his comments that in the past it hasn't been a focus. I would guess in terms of blocking we should hope for him to just hold his own if he's on the field this year. I'm not all that concerned with it. I think we have other blocking TEs (That's what Howard kind of was when he came in) that can take over that part. I don't want to devalue TE blocking but I just don't feel that's what he was brought in for.

Understood, I just think it becomes a little more important to have the versatility in each player if you are running an offense where you are trying to keep the D from having the opportunity to substitute. If you have to sub, you can't keep them from subbing.

Hopefully he picks it up enough to hold his own.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I said the big reciver comment, because this guy is 6-4 225 lbs. Collin was 6-7 250, he had NFL size.

At 225 I don't see him being in on many rushing plays. We do still have Ricky Howard and Hammerschmidt to be our run blockers.

I agree. I don't think you'll see him in on third and 1's. On the flip side those other guys need to be able to catch the football.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007

Franklin was 6'5 and he wasn't a thick TE by any means.

I'm guessing that Hammerschmidt will get a lot of PT, especially since he is so good of a blocker

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

I would be disappointed if he isn't pushing 240 by the first game if he is going to continue to play TE. It will be difficult for him to match up with a DE on the bullrush if he doesn't.*

Yaman, does his frame appear to suggest he can pack on 15 without sacrificing a lot of mobility?

*Hopefully he shouldn't have to regularly, but you can't control where the D lines up.

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
I would be disappointed if he isn't pushing 240 by the first game if he is going to continue to play TE. It will be difficult for him to match up with a DE on the bullrush if he doesn't.

Yaman, does his frame appear to suggest he can pack on 15 without sacrificing a lot of mobility?

He could line up in the slot, and simply be a recieving threat "TE"(as in a bigger reciever). I don't think Franklin ever stayed in pass protection.

Reactions: VeloClone

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I would be disappointed if he isn't pushing 240 by the first game if he is going to continue to play TE. It will be difficult for him to match up with a DE on the bullrush if he doesn't.*

*Hopefully he shouldn't have to regularly, but you can't control where the D lines up.

I don't really know that. There's not a lot out there on him. I would guess a guy whose 6'4 could throw on 10-15 when they hit a D1 strength program but who knows, maybe not.

I guess Scout does say he is a good blcoker despite his size but it's a different game when you get to the Big 12. Size does become and issue.

Reactions: VeloClone

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
He could line up in the slot, and simply be a recieving threat "TE"(as in a bigger reciever). I don't think Franklin ever stayed in pass protection.

That's what I htink of him right now. I think we will see 3 TEs play this year. Maybe even more. They all are a little different too. I am noticing that from this staff. They are bringing in guys to a position that all have a slightly different skillset which is nice.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That's what I htink of him right now. I think we will see 3 TEs play this year. Maybe even more. They all are a little different too. I am noticing that from this staff. They are bringing in guys to a position that all have a slightly different skillset which is nice.

I can't rep you again, but you just said a mouthful!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron