Food options in Campustown...

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
It definitely needs to be improved, the LANE4 plan would have done that. Now that it fell through things will happen in a piecemeal fashion and much slower. There are several projects on the horizon though: Kingland development, new 7 story building where first national bank is currently, Kum&Go, new 5 story building next to Outlaws, and a new facade program. Its a start but more needs to be done and it sounds like the city and university are both set on turning that area around.

I've heard about all those projects except the First National Bank one. Is it related to the old CBS building project? Is FNB just going to close that branch or relocate?

And yes, the Lane4 plans would've done wonders, but it was more that a specific local developer wanted all power over the development plus Matthew Goodman not wanting to move his disgusting burrito place again.

aute19

Sep 30, 2011
I think that there are some gems in campustown. Stomping Grounds, 20/20, and Cafe B come to mind for sure. What turns me off are the ridiculous bars down there. Admittedly, I'm getting farther and farther from "college age", but Cys, Lost & Found, Paddy's, Mickey's, and Sips are gross. Even Yoke's would smell like a hot urinal if you went there on Friday for lunch; not the kind of place I'd like to eat. And there's no way that some of those buildings are up to code.

I used to live close to Penn State. Their version of campustown was awesome: 3 blocks wide, by 16 blocks long of bars, restaurants, music venues, apartments, and all sorts of shops and stores.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Manhattan, KS actually had a pretty decent area (Aggieville). Daytime there is shopping, lunch options, evening shifts to more of a bar feel.

The bars were very tame (by comparison to Ames; which is probably a Kansas v. Iowa thing), but Aggieville is a nice area about the same size as Campustown. Much cleaner and more to it than just bars/restaurants. Campustown could learn some aesthetic lessons from there. I'm thinking the renovations should help that.

Campustown's issue isn't the lack of options. It's the overall presentation. Campustown has pizza places, barbecue, cheap Chinese, burritos, sports bars, burger joints, and street vendors.

Campustown needs the same type of businesses it already has. But it needs to renovate badly.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Yes, it is not ideal. But there are a few good ones left out that make it worth re-visiting when I am back in town.

Thai Kitchen is very good. (On Chamberlain just west of Welch.)

As others have mentioned, Battle's BBQ is great, Jeff's Pizza is underrated, Cafe Beaudelaire has some good options.

And Stomping Grounds is very good. Just get over any class-warfare reservations you may have and enjoy it.

Last edited:

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I think that there are some gems in campustown. Stomping Grounds, 20/20, and Cafe B come to mind for sure. What turns me off are the ridiculous bars down there. Admittedly, I'm getting farther and farther from "college age", but Cys, Lost & Found, Paddy's, Mickey's, and Sips are gross. Even Yoke's would smell like a hot urinal if you went there on Friday for lunch; not the kind of place I'd like to eat. And there's no way that some of those buildings are up to code.

I used to live close to Penn State. Their version of campustown was awesome: 3 blocks wide, by 16 blocks long of bars, restaurants, music venues, apartments, and all sorts of shops and stores.
Very true, and it was not always like that irrc. Developers (I believe Paterno was an investor) really did a good job of blending campus and overall appeal. A modern business/commercial area without losing that campustown/State U feel. State College does serve as more of a regional city than Ames.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
Pizza Pit still has some of the best wings ever and they are still around. I loved hitting up Welch Ave Station for beers and Pizza Pit wings.

aute19

Sep 30, 2011
Very true, and it was not always like that irrc. Developers (I believe Paterno was an investor) really did a good job of blending campus and overall appeal. A modern business/commercial area without losing that campustown/State U feel. State College does serve as more of a regional city than Ames.

Yes, I should have noted that State College and Penn State are both larger and more of a regional center than Ames and Iowa State.

Nonetheless, their approach of a healthy mix of bars, restaurants, apartments, shops, and parking was enough to attract more than just college students and the odd alumni to that area for shopping, dining, entertainment, etc.

I hope that whatever the future of Campustown holds, the developers can strike a fair balance between student-centric entertainment options (e.g., cheap food, cheap drinks) and ones that will bring in others, such as professors, visitors to town, alumni, etc.

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
Also, Kum and Go bought the Post Office and Battle's B lots. They along with many others have also tried to buy the T-Galaxy lot but the owners, which is a large membered trust, can't agree on any kind of price.

-That corner T-Galaxy lot is so crucial in my opinion, that lot, because of it's prime location, needs to be done correctly to really improve the "inner presentation" of Campustown. Hopefully the lot can someday be purchased and designed appropriately as that lot has a ton of potential. Currently the building sits empty but hopefully not for long.

-Kum and Go will eventually build an "Ultra Kum and Go" on the lots they purchased. I was told the gas pumps will thankfully not face the street as they currently do and will be in the back hidden behind their building. Hopefully, Kum and Go can design a very unique Gas Station building and facade. Not sure what will happen to the current Kum and Go site.

-The Kingland development will absolutely improve the outer feel of campustown.

-The old CBS store, Lorry's Coffee, and the Concrete bank have been bought and there will be 5-7 story apartment built there with I believe retail on the ground floor.

-Next to Outlaws, this is planned - Roseland, Mackey, Harris Architects PC - Architectural design services - Current Projects

-I think, but not quite sure, that the corner of Welch and Knapp might be getting a taller apartment also.

cyclones18

Apr 20, 2010
Ames
I'm thinking about a "tapas" type restaurant(not necessarily Spanish). With small plates, between $3-7 with a regular menu that offers dishes between $8-$15. A bar that utilizes fresh ingredients to make both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, a good beer selection and some wine. Something that keeps up with the trends (i.e. gluten free, vegetarian/vegan, non-traditional meats, fresh produce, everything homemade). It would be something that would change seasonally but wouldn't be a "Campustown Bar" per say.

Do you guys think something like that would work in Iowa State's Campustown?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
...been to a couple other college towns recently and noticed that they have a lot of different food options. Coming back, I realize that our campus area doesn't have much to choose from. Cheap Chinese, cheap burritos, 2 sub places. That's about it.

Boudalaire, Battles, Stomping Grounds, multiple decent pizza places. And that is the start. There are more options in Campustown than you are giving it credit for. Plus Main Street has a lot more.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Boudalaire, Battles, Stomping Grounds, multiple decent pizza places. And that is the start. There are more options in Campustown than you are giving it credit for. Plus Main Street has a lot more.

One thing that makes Ames unique to a lot of other college towns is there are basically two separate "downtowns". I've never been to the little apple, but that is a similar sized town with a land grant university, so I am curious if they have 2 similar business districts or if their campustown is also their downtown.

Also, to add to the restaurants not mentioned are Thai Kitchen, India Palace and Joy's Mongolian BBQ. If all the development that is being discussed happens, it will only add to the options.

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
After three years of being in Ames I finally made it to West St Deli. WOW. My pesto chicken sandwich was amazing. I may never eat at Subway again. Their location isn't the worst, but certainly not the best. I wonder if they have ever considered moving closer to Welch.

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
Also, Kum and Go bought the Post Office and Battle's B lots. They along with many others have also tried to buy the T-Galaxy lot but the owners, which is a large membered trust, can't agree on any kind of price.

-That corner T-Galaxy lot is so crucial in my opinion, that lot, because of it's prime location, needs to be done correctly to really improve the "inner presentation" of Campustown. Hopefully the lot can someday be purchased and designed appropriately as that lot has a ton of potential. Currently the building sits empty but hopefully not for long.

-Kum and Go will eventually build an "Ultra Kum and Go" on the lots they purchased. I was told the gas pumps will thankfully not face the street as they currently do and will be in the back hidden behind their building. Hopefully, Kum and Go can design a very unique Gas Station building and facade. Not sure what will happen to the current Kum and Go site.

-The Kingland development will absolutely improve the outer feel of campustown.

-The old CBS store, Lorry's Coffee, and the Concrete bank have been bought and there will be 5-7 story apartment built there with I believe retail on the ground floor.

-Next to Outlaws, this is planned - Roseland, Mackey, Harris Architects PC - Architectural design services - Current Projects

-I think, but not quite sure, that the corner of Welch and Knapp might be getting a taller apartment also.

By the fall of 2015, there will be 37,500 sq ft of new retail space along Lincoln Way from Lynn to Welch including:

- Kingland: 25,000 sq ft (at least one restaurant)

- 23 Twenty Lincoln: 5,000 sq ft

- The Foundry: 7,500 sq ft

This doesn't include the retail space planned for the Public House project on Chamberlain (link above). Let's hope the right mix of business come to Campustown; similar to what is happening out in Somerset.

I agree with jammin that Welch, especially around the clock tower, needs upgrading. Hopefully the facade program will work as well as it did on Main St.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Indian Delights has opened up a location in Campustown, really good Indian food and nice people. I would recommend trying it, even if you've never had Indian food before. Located between Cafe Mood and Paddy's. There menu is a little bit different at their campustown location, I tried the ginger Chile chicken in some sort of wrap/roll and it was delicious. Also Insomnia Cookies is opening in Campustown as well: https://insomniacookies.com/

Last edited:

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Personally I am of the mind that Campus town really should be catered to the students and not the alumni. Problem with family junk now a day is that many people with families are keeping said families out waaaaaay late (recently a group of friends brought their daughter to a sports bar when I was under the impression drinks would be had...) It was awkward watching parents get drunk yelling at a TV with a 2 year old right there.
I am an alum and whenever I am in town outside of Welch Ave Station or Cafe B I really just stick to Main Street and call it good. Let the students have that area for themselves, we all had that advantage when we were going to Iowa State. It seems pretty lame to try to take that away from them. I honestly don't remember many people over the age of 30 at the campus town bars when I was there. I probably wasn't looking for them... whenever we did see people it was kindof pathetic and usually 40 year old men trying to pick up college girls.

TurdFerguson

Sep 13, 2013
Campustown in general has been pretty dead the last 7 years compared to what it was prior. It's as busy on the weekends now as it used to be on Monday,Tuesday, Wednesday night.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Personally I am of the mind that Campus town really should be catered to the students and not the alumni. Problem with family junk now a day is that many people with families are keeping said families out waaaaaay late (recently a group of friends brought their daughter to a sports bar when I was under the impression drinks would be had...) It was awkward watching parents get drunk yelling at a TV with a 2 year old right there.

As a parent of a 2 year old, I think you're just hanging out with losers.

*edit: OK, technically a 3.5 year old and a 1.5 year old, but the point still stands.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Campustown in general has been pretty dead the last 7 years compared to what it was prior. It's as busy on the weekends now as it used to be on Monday,Tuesday, Wednesday night.
I find that very hard to believe unless you are talking about when the drinking age was 18 then maybe this is true.

Last edited: