Food options in Campustown...

isu22andy

Sep 17, 2012
Its not THATTTTTTTTTTTT bad. Yokes used to have some wings I used to frequent atleast once a week. Welch Ave has some good hot sandwhiches, pizza, and cheap chili on sunday. Cant forget free Papa Johns at Mikeys for FAC.... Dont forget WiseGuys for Burgers and Tacos at Estas on Tuesday. I actually find it somewhat satisfying, I mean it beats frozen pizzas, sandwhiches, and ramen.

Last edited:

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Manhattan, KS actually had a pretty decent area (Aggieville). Daytime there is shopping, lunch options, evening shifts to more of a bar feel.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I ate at the original Battle's location constantly, DaVinci's once or twice a month, got my nerd on at Mayhem Comics, and drank at pretty much all the establishments. I also got my hair cut at a great place but can't remember the name. That said the campus is an A and the campus town is a C-.

I was recently at Notre Dame a few times and they previously had literally no campus town, but now they have a big development. It's all brand new like a strip mall with no character but it's much better for the students and alumni visiting town.

NO!!! What if Lazard reads this and your last paragraph is the tipping point?!?!? Wait till signing day to post this ****, bro!

cyclones18

Apr 20, 2010
Ames
So if you guys could choose, what type of cuisine do you think students would go for? Is it ethnic? Pub cuisine? Tapas? Contemporary? Comfort food?

What kind of place do you all think would make people want to go to Campustown? Or is a matter of just having a place with good quality, fresh food? What about price?

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
So if you guys could choose, what type of cuisine do you think students would go for? Is it ethnic? Pub cuisine? Tapas? Contemporary? Comfort food?What kind of place do you all think would make people want to go to Campustown? Or is a matter of just having a place with good quality, fresh food? What about price?
Fast, easy, cheap

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
I've always thought Pepperjax would be good in Ames, but not sure about Campustown. Just doesn't seem like Campustown has much appeal to non-students for a variety of reasons.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Battles is my favorite, but I also like Stomping Grounds for lunch when I'm feeling classy.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I would think a sushi bar that had awesome drinks would kill it in campustown if it was done right.
Place in Omaha called Blue that is coming to mind.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Can someone remind me why Pancheros left? Seems like it still would be a good fit in Campustown.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Manhattan, KS actually had a pretty decent area (Aggieville). Daytime there is shopping, lunch options, evening shifts to more of a bar feel.

ISU tried to copy Aggieville a few years ago and hired a developer to do so, but ISU/Ames bailed when the price tag rose too high. Hopefully the Kingland renovation will help get the ball rolling on something like this.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
I thought to check if Pita Pit ever reopened. The one in Ames is gone, but there is now one in Ankeny.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I tend to swing by Cafe Beaudelaire whenever I'm in Ames. Bloody Mary with a Stella chaser along with breakfast gives me a reason to stop in Campus Town on a Sunday morning.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I think Campustown's food options are alright but it definitely is not on par with other college campustown areas..especially when we have a 30,000 student population. I really hope that this Kingland deal will open up Campustown to more businesses since Kingland plans on making the first floor of their new building retail. Adding that new transportation center will still help but they need to add more parking and appeal for businesses to want to build there.

loki8838

Nov 27, 2006
It was all downhill after Do-Biz closed. Two-fer Tuesdays. Warm Snickerdoodles. Ahhh....memories.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I feel sorry for anybody that missed out on the campustown Minsky's.

StevieISU23

Oct 31, 2007
Urbandale
RIP New Dragon.
I would from DM to Ames tonight, if it still existed.

So Good...So Cheap.
Would eat Ramen and ham sandwiches for a week straight, to save up Cash for the New Dragon...
Szechuan Chicken. spicy.