Flynn deserved and should have been the QB

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Re: Howie3310 did u even read my 2nd comment?

I actually agree with you on that. Nothing I have seen from Meyer outside of the A&M game would make me think he is any better than Flynn.

Oh I think Meyer was a better QB, but I think Austin was a better leader.

And yes, I agree, Flynn got smashed numerous times. I always admired how he'd scramble with some cojones though.

copenhagen

Apr 23, 2007
isufan22 marino montana young long whoever

u can think of would not of been good the yr Flynn played. Im amazed he still has his arms and legs attached.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Obviously, no one - not even Chuck Norris himself - could have succeeded behind that offensive line from '03.

However, that still does nothing to prove anything about Flynn's abilities as a QB. It just proves he can take a beating and keep on going - just as Meyer did last year.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I'm not sure which is the better QB, Meyer or Flynn. I remember having to admit to myself I knew Meyer was set to take over but... Meyer never thrilled me. I was happy to see Flynn move to WR, and he did a heck of a job at that position. He also seemed to be a great leader - I was sad to say goodbye to him at the endzone after Mizzou last year

That said, this is a bit of a irrelevant thread...

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I'm not sure why we would want to have wished for Flynn anywhere other than WR. He did an amazing job there. Just think what he would have done had he been at that spot his entire career at ISU.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
It's real easy to sit here and bash Mac now that he is gone. We now have a new coach that is starting the same QB that Mac started.

There is little doubt in my mind that Mac should have been let go but remember some of the places he took us along the way.

I'd rather not live in the past and continue to blame Mac. He has moved on and so should we.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I think his move to WR was probally the best for him personally...
However his replacement almost never thrilled me :no:
He had a decent season, but I never bought that the O-line was his only problem last year...

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
He had a decent season, but I never bought that the O-line was his only problem last year...

Flag Guy, you're smarter than that.

The entire offense, from the OC all the way to the line/WR/backs/QB were the problem last year.

Not many QBs would have faired that much better than Meyer in '06, as not many would've done better than the guys we threw out there in '03.

That isn't to say Meyer was without fault last season.

bluehooper

Apr 10, 2006
You've got to be kidding me?!?!

Bret has one crap game and you start thinking about the past??

Austin's move to wideout was for the better.

Bret is/was a better QB than him and Austin was better at WR than QB anyways.

Bret will get it back, guys. He's the offensive leader of this team, he'll get back into his underclassmen form only with more experience, more composure and better passing mechanics.

I believe in him. Don't give up on him after 1 game.

I couldn't have said it better myself!!

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Re: Howie3310 did u even read my 2nd comment?

Oh I think Meyer was a better QB, but I think Austin was a better leader.

And yes, I agree, Flynn got smashed numerous times. I always admired how he'd scramble with some cojones though.

Austin was indeed a better leader.

The quarterback should be the team leader.

Football is a team sport.

A Team needs a good leader.
Therefore, logically Austin was the better QB.:wink:

In all honestly, I think Austin definitely had more leadership and credibility with the team. IMO I would have liked to seen him had a better, more legit chance at QB, as IMO he had a lot less room for error than Meyer, instead of him getting thrown in when the chips were down.

Also, I think few would argue that Flynn was the better runner.

This post/thread may be meaningless, but then again, this is a message board:yes:

goldmember

May 31, 2006
Regardless of how Meyer played or plays the rest of the season, I always felt Flynn got the short end of the deal from Mac. Flynn took a beating behind a pathetic line his freshman year, and the next year Mac starts Meyer behind a vastly improved line.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Idea: Let's support the QB we have now, who I believe is a good one, instead of the QB we had that became a WR that has now graduated.

Prediction: Meyer goes on to have a good senior season, and this thread becomes even more irrelevant.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Seneca Wallace would be a better QB than Meyer right now too, but just like Flynn he's gone. Let's focus on this team, this season, and the future.

peachy

Oct 14, 2006
Here is something to keep in mind. The last 3 years, Meyer has been sacked 104 times. That's like 3 sacks every game he has played! A few have been his fault, but our line has sucked since he got here. When is the last time we have had a 1,000 yard rusher?

Bottom line, he is hesitant, and it shows. He is scared to get creamed when he passes, and I can't blame him. He is always throwing off his back foot, and that leads to picks. I think he is a very good QB, I still remember his 2005 Independence Bowl. I just think that he is playing timid. Year after year of playing behind crappy lines makes the quarterback look worse than he is. Just ask David Carr.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Here is something to keep in mind. The last 3 years, Meyer has been sacked 104 times. That's like 3 sacks every game he has played! A few have been his fault, but our line has sucked since he got here. When is the last time we have had a 1,000 yard rusher?

Bottom line, he is hesitant, and it shows. He is scared to get creamed when he passes, and I can't blame him. He is always throwing off his back foot, and that leads to picks. I think he is a very good QB, I still remember his 2005 Independence Bowl. I just think that he is playing timid. Year after year of playing behind crappy lines makes the quarterback look worse than he is. Just ask David Carr.

Or maybe he's just not that good.. he's regressed in the last two years and there's NO getting around that. He's put up some big numbers for ISU in his career, OK, I support that and I salute that, way to go Bret. But dam, he's played like sh** for like 14 straight games or so and it's time to say hey, what can your backup do? Bret's a great Cyclone, he's represented himself well over the years and I applaud him for that, but I'm sorry, that doesn't mean he's the man "just because"... IMO. he's got a LOT of work to do to stay starting QB...

Help Support Us

Become a patron