Fitness watch recommendations?

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
If you want a Fibit HR, I'd sell it to you for what I paid for it. It's quite a bit below retail. I bought it because it was cheap but I don't think I'll ever use it Still brand new in the box.

thrillcat

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
I had a Nike fuelband and it was lame. I have a Fitbit charge hr now and it's pretty good. I like that their app also has calorie tracking and more capabilities all in one but it doesn't track strength workouts very well.

JHudd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Plano, TX
Since I don't do a lot of extra exercise outside of Crossfit, I love the Apple Watch. I am an Apple user(fanboy), have had it since first available, and still enjoy it. I previously used a Jawbone Up24 and a Nike Fuelband. The only thing I miss is the sleep tracking the Up24 provided.

H

HGPuck

isustud07

Sep 3, 2009
West Des Moines
You should definitely check out the new Garmin vivoactive. It is amazing! It is waterproof even and has apps to help track swimming, biking, running, etc. By far, I think it is the best bag for the buck! Battery even lasts a long time compared to most smart watches. It even has golf courses in there. I love it!

http://sites.garmin.com/en-US/vivo/vivoactive/
attachment.php

Attachments

• cf-lg.jpg
    cf-lg.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 268

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Started with an UP24 for basic tracking, then switched to the Apple Watch right when they came out. I love it because it's multi-functional but do realize it's a little less rugged and specialized for fitness activities. Great thing is is can track my exercises but also give me reminders when I haven't stood up or walked enough throughout the business day.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I have a FitBit Charge HR and it's...ok? Like you, I like the step tracking on days that I don't get a big workout in and I think the heart-rate monitor gives me a better indication of how many calories I've burned and things like that. The app with it is nice enough, though a lot of it is things that I was already accomplishing with MyFitnessPal and the like. My wife and I got ours because she got a pretty massive discount on any FitBit products through working at Mercy. Without that, I don't think I would have spent the money on a full-price fitbit.

PKirch

Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
I'll echo JBone's recommendation of Pebble. Mine is first generation (the Kickstarter edition), but the software is updated for all versions equally. The watch operates via blue tooth with your phone, both Anroid and Apple.

I use Misfit (tracks steps), Runkeeper (walking & biking) and FreeCaddie (golf) apps on my phone, and the data shows up on my watch. There is a swimming app which I haven't tried. Plus, phone, text, email and other notifications show up on my watch.

You can buy the original version for under $100, and I've seen ads for refurbished watches for $60. Very affordable and functional.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Bump.
Chris, did you get one? Did you like it?
I'm in the market for one. I want one that has accurate HR monitoring without chest strap. A program to download the data to would be nice.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
bumping for the holidays!

I'm looking at the Fitbit Charge HR - decent discount on Amazon today plus one of credit cards is doing 10% cashback on Amazon through the end of the year. Good time to take advantage!

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
bumping for the holidays!

I'm looking at the Fitbit Charge HR - decent discount on Amazon today plus one of credit cards is doing 10% cashback on Amazon through the end of the year. Good time to take advantage!

What will you be using it for? I had a Charge HR for a couple of weeks and I thought it worked well. I like that it doesn't require a HR strap. The sleep timer was also a favorite function. My wife uses hers daily and she loves it. She has had to do a warranty replacement because the plastic covering started to separate from the body of the watch. I only quit using it because I got a new Garmin 920XT.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
What will you be using it for? I had a Charge HR for a couple of weeks and I thought it worked well. I like that it doesn't require a HR strap. The sleep timer was also a favorite function. My wife uses hers daily and she loves it. She has had to do a warranty replacement because the plastic covering started to separate from the body of the watch. I only quit using it because I got a new Garmin 920XT.

working out, encouraging me to get up from my desk, think I would like the sleep timer.

packattack425

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 25, 2010
Des Moines
Have had the vivoactive for about a month now and love it. I don't have the heart rate strap. I love that the watch is waterproof. Battery life is great. You can even read text messages on it along with notification from Facebook, Twitter, snapchat, etc. Be careful with other smart watches as they wont let you read iMessages. Overall a great product that does everything I need when it comes to tracking running/steps/walking. The App Store is coming along and gives you options to download new faces and apps.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron