Fitness watch recommendations?

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
My wife wants to get the Fitbit charge HR, I want the Samsung Gear S2. I figure if I'm going back to wearing a watch-like thing, I want it to look like a watch and not a medical bracelet. I have a coworker willing to sell me her Fitbit surge for $125, so maybe I'll go with that. Seems to be closer to the S2.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I got a Garmin Vivoactive for x-mas and absolutely love it.

Another vote for the Garmin. I received a Garmin vivofit for Christmas and I love mine too. It has a chest strap to monitor heart rate for my workouts, it tracks my sleep automatically, and the kicker is I don't have to charge it. It claims the battery will last for an entire year before I have to change it.

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30
I have heard the Garmin one is better than the FitBit and I think it's cheaper. I have the low level fitbit and it's fine for it's capabilities.

I'd go with a Garmin in the price range you want to spend. They've been in the business a long time. I have one that is old and out-dated and it still works and tracks all the stuff I want. Their new products are obviously better than mine. Fitbit products seem to be somewhat of a marketing/popularity phenomena. I got a fitbit for x-mas and really wonder why I'm continuing to wear it.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
One of the great things about fitbits is the ability to create online groups and track each other's status, progress, etc. That really helps keep people motivated.

I think other watches have that, but since there are so many more fitbits out there, it's more likely your friends/family will have one of those to join your group.

I'm guessing individually there are better options, but Fitbit has a quantity advantage if you want create a group.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
just to followup since this has been bumped - really liking my Fitibit HR so far. I'm very competitive with myself so the little thing of knowing my current step or calorie count really encourages me to do more to hit the next level. Just started adding friends today and I like that it shows your step count compared to theirs. More motivation!

The only downside I would say is having to charge it every few days (about 3 for me). It doesn't take long though so I'll plug it in while I shower or take the usb in my purse and plug it in at work when I'm going to be sitting at my desk for a bit.

Having the HR (vs. the regular Charge) has been worth it so far. It's definitely made the calorie burn more accurate and I like seeing how high it goes during workouts. It also gives your average HR during a workout and that's been useful as well.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
just to followup since this has been bumped - really liking my Fitibit HR so far. I'm very competitive with myself so the little thing of knowing my current step or calorie count really encourages me to do more to hit the next level. Just started adding friends today and I like that it shows your step count compared to theirs. More motivation!

The only downside I would say is having to charge it every few days (about 3 for me). It doesn't take long though so I'll plug it in while I shower or take the usb in my purse and plug it in at work when I'm going to be sitting at my desk for a bit.

Having the HR (vs. the regular Charge) has been worth it so far. It's definitely made the calorie burn more accurate and I like seeing how high it goes during workouts. It also gives your average HR during a workout and that's been useful as well.

Agreed on the heart rate tracking. It makes barre that much more satisfying looking down at those numbers afterwards.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Agreed on the heart rate tracking. It makes barre that much more satisfying looking down at those numbers afterwards.

yes! If it just tracked movement/steps, I'd be getting so much less credit. I think my highest HR at my class last week was from doing a bunch of chest flies lying on my back on a fit ball with my feet not moving. It was hard work but got me no steps. But my HR being in the 160 range gave me extra calorie burn. So I would definitely say if you are looking at using something for more than just counting steps, the Charge HR is definitely worth the difference from the FitBit Charge - if that's what you are looking at.