First bar you went to at ISU

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
I had to post here. I have not heard of most of these places mentioned. Comes with getting old I guess.

The first bar I went to as a student in Ames was a bar downtown called That Place. You can try and figure out the year. lol. Another downtown bar back then....which was the place to dance back then was Genuine John's.

In campustown we had a place called the Cave-in......next to the firestation on Welch. Had another one across the street....can't remeber the name.....it was more of a pizza place. Also on Welch was The Library.

Out at the mall there was a bar called The Hallway. Those are the main ones I remember. I'm old!

We went to the Cave on Thursdays for Ladies Night. Women drank for free so we just gave them the pitchers to get them refilled. I remember drinking Bloody Mary's at the Hallway. The best part was there were a bunch of Hawkeye fans watching a basketball game against Ohio State and the Hawks were getting it handed to them. We sat there and cheered on the Buckeyes... By the way the Dean's List? How many different bars has that location been? I can remember it being The Billboard and Beamer's.

Last edited:

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Deans list.

Btw any of you deans list regulars remember the plywood glued to the side of the broken urinal downstais circa 2002?

No but i remember dudes trying to drop a duece in that bathroom. Does anyone else remember how small it was with 2 urinals, and one crapper WITHOUT A DOOR.:eek: It was kinda awkward cause you walk in and turn the corner and there is a stranger sitting on the john.

Last edited:

H2O4ISU

Aug 14, 2007
Nickel draws at the Cave Inn every Monday...$0.75 Gin & Tonic's @ Thumb's Up every Thursday (the original on Welch - I worked there for 2 1/2 years)...Fish Bowls and Tequila shots at Lucillan's on Fridays...breakfast at 4:00 am @ the Happy Chef at least twice a week. Am I really this old? The memories are coming back!

Landshark

Jan 23, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I think my first bar in Ames was either Sporties on main street or Lost and Found. I can't remember, but Welsh Ave. became my favorite as time went by.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Nickel draws at the Cave Inn every Monday...$0.75 Gin & Tonic's @ Thumb's Up every Thursday (the original on Welch - I worked there for 2 1/2 years)...Fish Bowls and Tequila shots at Lucillan's on Fridays...breakfast at 4:00 am @ the Happy Chef at least twice a week. Am I really this old? The memories are coming back!

Dime draws and dollar pitchers at Down Under.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
No but i remember dues trying to drop a duece in that bathroom. Does anyone else remember how small it was with 2 urinals, and one crapper WITHOUT A DOOR.:eek: It was kinda awkward cause you walk in and turn the corner and there is a stranger sitting on the john.

The bathroom in my high school didn't have doors on the stalls either, talk about weird taking a dump. I think I only did that once or twice otherwise I'd wait till shop class where we had our won bathroom.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Let's see, it would either been:
Cave Inn
Cy's Roost
Billboard
Lucky Q
Down Under

if in Campus Town
or
That Place
Top of the Town
if downtown.........or it could have been the infamous..............Grandaddy's!!!!!!

I'd ask you to guess my years at ISU by the list but my handle is a dead give away

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
The Cave Inn. Back when the drinking age was 19 and campustown had a lot more visitors and bars.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
No but i remember dudes trying to drop a duece in that bathroom. Does anyone else remember how small it was with 2 urinals, and one crapper WITHOUT A DOOR.:eek: It was kinda awkward cause you walk in and turn the corner and there is a stranger sitting on the john.

We had that in from my freshman to junior years of high school...the school got tired of vandalism on the doors so they put the cabash to that...

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
We had that in from my freshman to junior years of high school...the school got tired of vandalism on the doors so they put the cabash to that...

When my middle school got tired of the vandalism in the boys bathrooms, they locked them up and made us use the one in the office.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
cy's roost and welch ave st were regular hangouts. wallabys in the early 90's was a good place to go. is it still there?

moo-u

Apr 12, 2006
sheldon
Let's see, it would either been:
Cave Inn
Cy's Roost
Billboard
Lucky Q
Down Under

if in Campus Town
or
That Place
Top of the Town
if downtown.........or it could have been the infamous..............Grandaddy's!!!!!!

I'd ask you to guess my years at ISU by the list but my handle is a dead give away

aw, 83 you're not so ancient.

Sigh....all of those bring back some fantastic memories tho.
On a snowy winter nite the roost was probly the place I crawled home from most often. (nothing like lounging on the cushions in the dark with a Rowe gal at Cy's...)

But I guess the real first place was Torks's.

moo.

mauiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Mine was the Foxy Lady Strip Club on South Duff which is just north of the current Wendy's. I would get my homework done and then head to the Foxy Lady for a stress release. Coming from a small town I was like a kid in the Candy Store.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron