Financial Partners Matter Right Now ("We Will Collective" is separate from Cardinal & Gold Wrestling Collective)

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Love your passion and support for ISU wrestling.

Question: Why 9.9 scholarships? Why not 10.0? Or 20.0? Where did the 9.9 number come from?

All men's sports took a 10% hit around 1991 (which was implemented in segments through 1994-95). It was part of a major "restructuring" that included limits on number of contests in some sports, minimum number of sports to be considered Division I, and other measures.

FB went from 95 to 85 and MBB went from 15 to 13.

That's why the Olympic/non-revenue sports on the men's side all have weird decimals instead of whole numbers (wrestling 11 -> 9.9, baseball 13 -> 11.7, etc.)

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I believe Brent has stated that if someone donates and designates it to a specific sport they will get the money there.

As far as C&G goes I am disappointed it is not a non-profit. I have switched all my We Will donating to go through my employer to get a match. I can't give much so I might as well double it and use my company's money.
The C & G did get the help of We Will & @brentblum and set it up the same way. But it sounds like something with IRS or whoever controls that made some changes and made later collectives non deductible.
I believe this is correct.

I think some business call certain donations advertising, so it is deductible. Not that I am an accountant or anything. The CRTC is tax deductible though

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
But that’s a pipe dream. Out of 7,000 maybe what 1,000 are dedicated enough to give? That’s probably high. Each of them give $500 and we have enough money for Chad Richisom to wipe his a$$ with.
Exactly really the number is more accurate when you figure season ticket holders divided by guessing 3 ( average number of seats per ticket holder. 1000 is probably the base.

Ryan Rohlk

Mar 29, 2024
The current setup is great as wrestling is able to dedicate so much more time and energy to their supporters. And they have first class people leading the charge. We simply couldn’t give wrestling the time needed with the other sports and candidly the donor base is different enough that it has worked well. We are always looking out to help each other when we can.
Brent and We Will have been nothing but helpful to us in our efforts. I am very appreciative of everything that they have done for us.

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
I disagree. We averaged, what, 7,000 per home meet? If 7,000 each gave $100, that's $700,000. If half could give $1,000 you're at $3.5 million. If lots of us chip in, it can work. I signed up for David's $100/month challenge. I know everybody can't but if we all do something, we'll be fine. And I'm sure there are some big donors who have stepped up. That combination works for We Will and can work here. It's kind of the Iowa State way.
In today’s economy, giving a $100 to something that has no benefit to your family or society as a whole is hard to ask. Sure, please give IF you can spare it. Then you say of only half (3500 people) could give $1000. That’s just silly to expect. Sure, a family of 5 maybe able to afford a ticket to a wrestling meet and a water a popcorn for everyone and walk out less than $100 down for a day of entertainment. That family of 5 accounted for 5 attendance numbers. So you’re saying that family of 5 should just donate $500. And you are also saying that family of 5, if only half give $1000, they should add another $2500 to it.

Of the 7000 fans at each meet, I’m guessing very few could give $100 to something that genuinely helps them in no way.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
In today’s economy, giving a $100 to something that has no benefit to your family or society as a whole is hard to ask. Sure, please give IF you can spare it. Then you say of only half (3500 people) could give $1000. That’s just silly to expect. Sure, a family of 5 maybe able to afford a ticket to a wrestling meet and a water a popcorn for everyone and walk out less than $100 down for a day of entertainment. That family of 5 accounted for 5 attendance numbers. So you’re saying that family of 5 should just donate $500. And you are also saying that family of 5, if only half give $1000, they should add another $2500 to it.

Of the 7000 fans at each meet, I’m guessing very few could give $100 to something that genuinely helps them in no way.
It is more fun to watch a good product & entertaining event that wins. That takes $$$. I wish NIL wasn’t a thing, but this team is fun to watch.

I watched us lose & that is tough to support & watch

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
It is more fun to watch a good product & entertaining event that wins. That takes $$$. I wish NIL wasn’t a thing, but this team is fun to watch.

I watched us lose & that is tough to support & watch
Well, it goes back to what someone else said. We can’t expect a bunch of common joes who are barely getting by on their own to donate. We need a billionaire and several millionaires. I don’t think ISU has that

Last edited:
Reactions: wxman1 and crablegs

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
All men's sports took a 10% hit around 1991 (which was implemented in segments through 1994-95). It was part of a major "restructuring" that included limits on number of contests in some sports, minimum number of sports to be considered Division I, and other measures.

FB went from 95 to 85 and MBB went from 15 to 13.

That's why the Olympic/non-revenue sports on the men's side all have weird decimals instead of whole numbers (wrestling 11 -> 9.9, baseball 13 -> 11.7, etc.)

Fascinating the way rules and regulations come to be in their current form.

Ryan Rohlk

Mar 29, 2024
I apologize for the lengthy post and hope that I don't bore all of you to death with this, but after reading this thread, I hopefully can give some perspective on where things stand with the collective moving forward.

CNG is celebrating its first birthday this month. I am fortunate enough to be part of the ISU wrestling radio team with the great Joe Sinclair and the legend Nate Carr. As part of my radio duties, I get to walk around pretty much everywhere at the different venues. A year ago, at nationals in Tulsa, I was shocked at how many athletes from different universities were openly trying to cut deals for themselves with different programs right at the BOK Center. Literally walking up to coaches and saying that they have this much eligibility left and your team needs a guy at this weight etc. etc. It was slimy to say the least.

At the time I thought that somebody, certainly not me, but somebody else, should really start a collective for ISU wrestling to deal with the portal and all it entails. But what really put things in motion was when David Carr was offered a 6-figure deal to transfer and he wasn't even in the portal, that I decided to take the leap and the CNG was formed. BTW, I will always hold David Carr in the highest regard because he is a man of incredible character that quite frankly, gave us the "home team" discount to stay a Cyclone and honestly, he left a lot of money on the table to stay in Ames.

It was great to see that sometimes nice guys do finish first, and David Carr is the nicest of guys.

The CNG was modeled after the We Will collective and The Swarm collective at the University of Iowa. We had every belief that when we filed all of our applications for nonprofit status that the Cardinal and Gold collective would be approved, but unfortunately the IRS published a memo about 10 days after we filed that took aim at these NIL collectives. We consulted with our tax attorney and CPA and were in communication with the IRS frequently, and were told that we had a very good case and we had every reason to believe that our collective would be designated as a 501(c)3.

Month after month rolled by and we did not hear any decision as to our tax-exempt status. We were told we should know by September, then November, then December, but that there was no reason to think it wouldn't be granted. We were finally informed in January, 2024, that our application had been denied. At that time, we could have appealed the decision, but it was decided that it wasn't worth the time or expense to try and fight the IRS, so from that point on and moving forward the CNG is a for-profit entity. The CRTC is the non-profit arm of ISU wrestling.

A year ago, we held our first Cardinal and Gold golf outing at Emerald Hills in Arnolds Park with 5 foursomes and 1 hole sponsor. Next week our golf outing has 36 foursomes with a waiting list of teams and people calling still as recently as yesterday trying to get in, and we have 25-hole sponsors. Enthusiasm for ISU wrestling and what these coaches have built is high and continuing to grow.

The CNG had a war chest built up this spring through both very generous corporate donors and also individuals who have stepped up to the plate through their monthly donations, to where we could finally be in the game with the best portal guys out there. So, what happened?

Quite honestly it was a combination of things, some are a really good problem to have, and the others show how unpleasant and dishonest college athletics has become. With success comes an increase in the market value of our athletes and what is required to keep these young men in Ames increased. That's a good problem to have and we all want that success on the wrestling mat to continue.

The unpleasant part of college athletics comes into play when our guys who have no intention of transferring are approached by various Big Ten teams with huge dollar offers to go to their schools. It's pretty much common knowledge which athletes were approached and which schools are doing this stuff.

The other thing that comes into play with the portal is when certain athletes hit the portal that would be great fits in Ames put out that they are "do not contact." In other words, teams have been working the back channels and already cut deals with these guys before they have announced they intend to transfer. It's very frustrating and this coaching staff won't operate that way, no matter what rumors are out there flying around.

To give you all some updates on what has been going on with the CNG and the team, a few weeks ago we received some very good news that I can't post publicly just yet, but somehow there are a bunch of people that already know about it and have posted things about it on this message board. They must have spoken to the right person at the Tailgate Tour or something is my guess.

There are still some i's to dot and some t's to cross, but when it is finally public, you will all be very happy about this addition for ISU wrestling.

A week ago, we had a big-time verbal commitment to fill a hole in our lineup. I guess that a man's word and his handshake don't mean the same anymore because that doesn't look to be happening right now. Yesterday we had another 2x All-American decide that he would rather go somewhere else, than visit the Big 12 champions today with his dad.

I will admit that I was pretty upset yesterday and into this morning, but this is one thing I truly admire and respect about Coach Kevin Dresser, I texted him at 5:00 am this morning whining about how mad I was that this kid and his dad didn't give us a shot and even visit like they said they would. Coach will have none of joining my pity party and simply told me that, "the windshield is always bigger than the rearview mirror!" I need to remember that. This staff is always moving forward.

That is what gives me confidence in what we are doing. From the head man on down the line there are just some amazing people involved that are doing all they can to make ISU wrestling a success. People have been so great in stepping up and donating their skills and experience and expertise to help the CNG and our athletes.

Alli St. John is a tireless worker and a bulldog in getting things done. She's a superstar. And David Carr is going to do David Carr things in his new position, he's a champion on and off the mat. Alli and I had a meeting yesterday with a couple of great ISU wrestling supporters in Bob Shirk and Doug Pyle who have volunteered to bring much needed information and knowledge to our athletes with the CNG. We have people that truly care about these young men both on and off the mat. These guys are more than just what you can do for us on the wrestling mat to this coaching staff and program.

I see numerous posts about ISU wrestling just needs a "whale" to take care of all our problems. And I see people that say ISU wrestling doesn't have anyone like that. My answer is that there are people out there with both the financial resources and the love for ISU wrestling that we have had very productive meetings with, but we are really early in the process, so give us some slack on getting things done on that front. I'm confident in the direction we are going in regards to this type of donor(s).

And to the people that have stepped up and accepted David Carr's challenge, whether it's $50 or $100, or $25 a month, I offer you my sincerest thanks. We are chipping away at getting to the goal David set and I have no doubt that he will reach it. When he does, that is a game changer.

I have known Kevin Dresser for over 40 years, and I want all of you to know that he is as authentic and genuine and goal driven now as he was when we were running around Iowa City together, so that is why I can say with complete confidence that I believe in him, and I believe in the culture he has created in this program. There have been some total studs that wanted to come to ISU because of the product on the mat and the excitement there is to wrestle in Hilton, that Coach Dresser has turned down because the culture in this room is more important than a shiny red sports car. ; )

Thanks for reading this far down and please don't hesitate to reach out to me with any questions you may have, and I will do my best to answer them.

Ryan

Last edited:

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I apologize for the lengthy post and hope that I don't bore all of you to death with this, but after reading this thread, I hopefully can give some perspective on where things stand with the collective moving forward.

CNG is celebrating its first birthday this month. I am fortunate enough to be part of the ISU wrestling radio team with the great Joe Sinclair and the legend Nate Carr. As part of my radio duties, I get to walk around pretty much everywhere at the different venues. A year ago, at nationals in Tulsa, I was shocked at how many athletes from different universities were openly trying to cut deals for themselves with different programs right at the BOK Center. Literally walking up to coaches and saying that they have this much eligibility left and your team needs a guy at this weight etc. etc. It was slimy to say the least.

At the time I thought that somebody, certainly not me, but somebody else, should really start a collective for ISU wrestling to deal with the portal and all it entails. But what really put things in motion was when David Carr was offered a 6-figure deal to transfer and he wasn't even in the portal, that I decided to take the leap and the CNG was formed. BTW, I will always hold David Carr in the highest regard because he is a man of incredible character that quite frankly, gave us the "home team" discount to stay a Cyclone and honestly, he left a lot of money on the table to stay in Ames.

It was great to see that sometimes nice guys do finish first, and David Carr is the nicest of guys.

The CNG was modeled after the We Will collective and The Swarm collective at the University of Iowa. We had every belief that when we filed all of our applications for nonprofit status that the Cardinal and Gold collective would be approved, but unfortunately the IRS published a memo about 10 days after we filed that took aim at these NIL collectives. We consulted with our tax attorney and CPA and were in communication with the IRS frequently, and were told that we had a very good case and we had every reason to believe that our collective would be designated as a 501(c)3.

Month after month rolled by and we did not hear any decision as to our tax-exempt status. We were told we should know by September, then November, then December, but that there was no reason to think it wouldn't be granted. We were finally informed in January, 2024, that our application had been denied. At that time, we could have appealed the decision, but it was decided that it wasn't worth the time or expense to try and fight the IRS, so from that point on and moving forward the CNG is a for-profit entity. The CRTC is the non-profit arm of ISU wrestling.

A year ago, we held our first Cardinal and Gold golf outing at Emerald Hills in Arnolds Park with 5 foursomes and 1 hole sponsor. Next week our golf outing has 36 foursomes with a waiting list of teams and people calling still as recently as yesterday trying to get in, and we have 25-hole sponsors. Enthusiasm for ISU wrestling and what these coaches have built is high and continuing to grow.

The CNG had a war chest built up this spring through both very generous corporate donors and also individuals who have stepped up to the plate through their monthly donations, to where we could finally be in the game with the best portal guys out there. So, what happened?

Quite honestly it was a combination of things, some are a really good problem to have, and the others show how unpleasant and dishonest college athletics has become. With success comes an increase in the market value of our athletes and what is required to keep these young men in Ames increased. That's a good problem to have and we all want that success on the wrestling mat to continue.

The unpleasant part of college athletics comes into play when our guys who have no intention of transferring are approached by various Big Ten teams with huge dollar offers to go to their schools. It's pretty much common knowledge which athletes were approached and which schools are doing this stuff.

The other thing that comes into play with the portal is when certain athletes hit the portal that would be great fits in Ames put out that they are "do not contact." In other words, teams have been working the back channels and already cut deals with these guys before they have announced they intend to transfer. It's very frustrating and this coaching staff won't operate that way, no matter what rumors are out there flying around.

To give you all some updates on what has been going on with the CNG and the team, a few weeks ago we received some very good news that I can't post publicly just yet, but somehow there are a bunch of people that already know about it and have posted things about it on this message board. They must have spoken to the right person at the Tailgate Tour or something is my guess.

There are still some i's to dot and some t's to cross, but when it is finally public, you will all be very happy about this addition for ISU wrestling.

A week ago, we had a big-time verbal commitment to fill a hole in our lineup. I guess that a man's word and his handshake don't mean the same anymore because that doesn't look to be happening right now. Yesterday we had another 2x All-American decide that he would rather go somewhere else, than visit the Big 12 champions today with his dad.

I will admit that I was pretty upset yesterday and into this morning, but this is one thing I truly admire and respect about Coach Kevin Dresser, I texted him at 5:00 am this morning whining about how mad I was that this kid and his dad didn't give us a shot and even visit like they said they would. Coach will have none of joining my pity party and simply told me that, "the windshield is always bigger than the rearview mirror!" I need to remember that. This staff is always moving forward.

That is what gives me confidence in what we are doing. From the head man on down the line there are just some amazing people involved that are doing all they can to make ISU wrestling a success. People have been so great in stepping up and donating their skills and experience and expertise to help the CNG and our athletes.

Alli St. John is a tireless worker and a bulldog in getting things done. She's a superstar. And David Carr is going to do David Carr things in his new position, he's a champion on and off the mat. Alli and I had a meeting yesterday with a couple of great ISU wrestling supporters in Bob Shirk and Doug Pyle who have volunteered to bring much needed information and knowledge to our athletes with the CNG. We have people that truly care about these young men both on and off the mat. These guys are more than just what you can do for us on the wrestling mat to this coaching staff and program.

I see numerous posts about ISU wrestling just needs a "whale" to take care of all our problems. And I see people that say ISU wrestling doesn't have anyone like that. My answer is that there are people out there with both the financial resources and the love for ISU wrestling that we have had very productive meetings with, but we are really early in the process, so give us some slack on getting things done on that front. I'm confident in the direction we are going in regards to this type of donor(s).

And to the people that have stepped up and accepted David Carr's challenge, whether it's $50 or $100, or $25 a month, I offer you my sincerest thanks. We are chipping away at getting to the goal David set and I have no doubt that he will reach it. When he does, that is a game changer.

I have known Kevin Dresser for over 40 years, and I want all of you to know that he is as authentic and genuine and goal driven now as he was when we were running around Iowa City together, so that is why I can say with complete confidence that I believe in him, and I believe in the culture he has created in this program. There have been some total studs that wanted to come to ISU because of the product on the and the excitement to wrestle in Hilton, that Coach Dresser has turned down because the culture in this room is more important than a shiny red sports car. ; )

Thanks for reading this far down and please don't hesitate to reach out to me with any questions you may have, and I will do my best to answer them.

Ryan
Absolutely love the transparency Ryan! Thanks for all you do for the C&G Collective in an always evolving environment. Future is bright for the clones and you’re a big reason why!

Ryan Rohlk

Mar 29, 2024
Absolutely love the transparency Ryan! Thanks for all you do for the C&G Collective in an always evolving environment. Future is bright for the clones and you’re a big reason why!
Stu, thank you for all you do to help. It is much appreciated my friend.

Reactions: stuclone

Mead For My Horses

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
I've been wondering this for awhile and JP's recent comments and yesterday's Williams & Blum podcast prompts me to ask out loud: How much of a deficit does the wrestling program run? Between program revenue, CRTC & C&G Collective are we close to self-support? I suppose the number is published somewhere but I don't know where to look. TIA.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I've been wondering this for awhile and JP's recent comments and yesterday's Williams & Blum podcast prompts me to ask out loud: How much of a deficit does the wrestling program run? Between program revenue, CRTC & C&G Collective are we close to self-support? I suppose the number is published somewhere but I don't know where to look. TIA.
The crtc and the collective have nothing to with tuition, travel, meals, facilities, salaries of staff and coaches, and all the other stuff it takes to run a program. The money raised by these two organizations essentially goes into the pockets of wrestlers whether at the collegiate level or at the Regional training level. In reality, the money raised for the crtc can go to travel expenses related to these wrestlers.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Reactions: alexssdean12