Financial Partners Matter Right Now ("We Will Collective" is separate from Cardinal & Gold Wrestling Collective)

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
if these numbers are even correct.. they leave out the branding/marketing aspect that each provide. wrestling and volleyball are similar in profit/loss too soccer, track, gymnastics, but wrestling and volleyball bring alot more attention and eyeballs nationally to ISU

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
yeah those revenue numbers are interesting to say the least.
I’ll admit I don’t follow any other sports closely. But it doesn’t compute that Women’s track makes double the revenue of wrestling. What are they selling?

Seems that the wrestling revenue is entirely ticket sales. From what I know about the cost of season tickets and the amount sold, that comes out close to $300k.

I know track is not selling that many tickets. How do they make their money?

CyDawg23

Nov 13, 2017
I’ll admit I don’t follow any other sports closely. But it doesn’t compute that Women’s track makes double the revenue of wrestling. What are they selling?

Seems that the wrestling revenue is entirely ticket sales. From what I know about the cost of season tickets and the amount sold, that comes out close to $300k.

And women’s track revenue is more than 2x men’s track (with similar expense allocations). It defies logic, so I must assume they’re applying some sort of athletic department accounting principles to be in compliance with some sort of government regulations.

alexssdean12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2018

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

And women’s track revenue is more than 2x men’s track (with similar expense allocations). It defies logic, so I must assume they’re applying some sort of athletic department accounting principles to be in compliance with some sort of government regulations.

track revenue comes from hosting home indoor meets at the Lied. teams have to pay per athlete to enter races. also host 2 HS meets which is a HUGE money maker.

i cannot answer why womens is 2x mens

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and wxman1

BooneCy

May 30, 2006

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
track revenue comes from hosting home indoor meets at the Lied. teams have to pay per athlete to enter races. also host 2 HS meets which is a HUGE money maker.

Wrestling puts 5,000 butts in the seats (plus associated concessions) 6x a year. I can’t fathom 2 HS track meets bringing in a total of 5,000 people combined. Maybe I’m way off base.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I posted a similar comment in the KXNO thread. I think there's a weird accounting quirk for several of the women's sports. They all have very large numbers under "Other Operating Revenue" that make up a lot of their total revenue. My best guess is that it would be something Title IX-related, but I don't know what it would be (especially since I believe Title IX is more about spending than revenue).

1717688004850.png

• Informative
Reactions: CyDawg23

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I wouldn't really put too much stock in the numbers ISU or any athletic dept puts out.

There has been funny accounting going on in Athletic Departments for a long time because they don't want to show a profit and spend accordingly.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Wrestling puts 5,000 butts in the seats (plus associated concessions) 6x a year. I can’t fathom 2 HS track meets bringing in a total of 5,000 people combined. Maybe I’m way off base.
the HS track meet has like 2500 kids entered at $25 a head
plus the parents that come to attend for $5 per person

• Informative
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

You probably answered it.

Title IX, means more women athletes and teams in these sports than Men. Means, if they are paying per athlete, for these meets, then the women make more from these meets.

There probably are other factors too, but that would make up a lot of the difference.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
You probably answered it.

Title IX, means more women athletes and teams in these sports than Men. Means, if they are paying per athlete, for these meets, then the women make more from these meets.

There probably are other factors too, but that would make up a lot of the difference.
Both of those meets combined doesn’t seem to add up to the gate from the Iowa/ISU dual. Not seeing how they women are doubling wrestling’s revenue.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Both of those meets combined doesn’t seem to add up to the gate from the Iowa/ISU dual. Not seeing how they women are doubling wrestling’s revenue.
As others have posted, its also in the way the conference allocates their distributions too.

Its all an accounting hack. And it also depends on years for some of this. Is the Iowa meet home, or away etc. How many meets are televised, where, and how much income is allocated out of the contract being home or away.
Other media contracts. etc.

I believe tier 3 is considered to make 4M across all sports for TV, so I would guess that is divided up across all those sports in some formula, of which football has at least one tier 3 game and probably takes a big chunk. Which as some stated probably has a title IX aspect to it too, not to mention the number of meets televised on the media contract etc. This may be part of the issue with not having meets on ESPN+ but on the other streaming services like Flowrestling that probably dont pay near as much, too.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I wouldn't really put too much stock in the numbers ISU or any athletic dept puts out.

There has been funny accounting going on in Athletic Departments for a long time because they don't want to show a profit and spend accordingly.
I hear you. I'm not sure of funny means the proper thing since that could mean that it could be illegal. I don't think they're doing that. But it is hard to be a non-profit and to make that much money. Hahaha.

Ryan Rohlk

Mar 29, 2024
Today is a great day for Cyclone wrestling, and today is also a great day to consider joining David Carr's challenge for $50/month to the Cardinal and Gold Collective. https://cardinalandgold.org/

The Board of Directors had a very productive meeting yesterday with some financial/business partners, and look for some exciting things to come soon for ISU wrestling that will allow all of you to help support this team and reach the goals these coaches have set.

And $50 a month does make a huge impact.

Thanks for your time and consideration, this season should be lots of fun.

Ryan

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron