Financial Partners Matter Right Now ("We Will Collective" is separate from Cardinal & Gold Wrestling Collective)

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
But, why?

Why does wrestling need their own? Why not one for Soccer, Mens BB, womens BB etc, why not one for each sport?

Why not just be a part of one?
And what one would they be a part of ? We Will not going to wrestling so they started their own . I guess I’m not sure what you are saying .

Mead For My Horses

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
I know C&G had some help from B Blum when it was set up, but I think wrestling would get table scraps after football & men's BB get theirs and wrestling would probably rank behind women's BB if it was all pooled. Yes, this duplicates some effort, but the wrestling program is much better funded this way.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
And what one would they be a part of ? We Will not going to wrestling so they started their own . I guess I’m not sure what you are saying .
I guess that was my question, was We Will not willing to include wrestling? Is that why there is a separate one? Or did We will stop including wrestling because they started a separate one?

It was a question. As to why there is a need for multiple funds instead of one for all sports.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
How does We Will distribute for the multiple sports they do now?

Same way they distribute to FB, MBB, WBB etc.
The amount of money that is needed to keep the current wrestlers from transferring is substantial. No way would We Will allocate the funds necessary to keep this team together. So wrestling staff wanted control of it’s own.

I think Blum said they had a $1,000,000 budget the 1st year & now $5,000,000, I think I heard him say.

Wrestling has not had that kind of increase in NIL budget. Not talking dollar wise, but growth

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
I guess that was my question, was We Will not willing to include wrestling? Is that why there is a separate one? Or did We will stop including wrestling because they started a separate one?

It was a question. As to why there is a need for multiple funds instead of one for all sports.
The current setup is great as wrestling is able to dedicate so much more time and energy to their supporters. And they have first class people leading the charge. We simply couldn’t give wrestling the time needed with the other sports and candidly the donor base is different enough that it has worked well. We are always looking out to help each other when we can.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Definitely appreciate what you do @brentblum.

It is tough to get money necessary to compete with PSU, Michigan, now Ok State. We rely on numbers of donors giving small amounts. I know Blum does also.

Ok State had 1 donor step up and help finance their RTC, NIL & part of salary to put that staff together. Don’t have that at Iowa State.

Cyclonewrestlingfan2022

May 30, 2023
Definitely appreciate what you do @brentblum.

It is tough to get money necessary to compete with PSU, Michigan, now Ok State. We rely on numbers of donors giving small amounts. I know Blum does also.

Ok State had 1 donor step up and help finance their RTC, NIL & part of salary to put that staff together. Don’t have that at Iowa State.
They have that oil money

Reactions: wxman1

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
The current setup is great as wrestling is able to dedicate so much more time and energy to their supporters. And they have first class people leading the charge. We simply couldn’t give wrestling the time needed with the other sports and candidly the donor base is different enough that it has worked well. We are always looking out to help each other when we can.
That was my question. I didnt know why there was a separate one for wrestling, vs other sports.

I it wasnt asked with angst. Just didnt know why they had a separate one and others didnt or are part of We Will.

Reactions: jkbuff98

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Does Volleyball, Track, Golf or any others besides Football & Basketball programs get NIL from We Will?

Reactions: 2speedy1

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
That was my question. I didnt know why there was a separate one for wrestling, vs other sports.

I it wasnt asked with angst. Just didnt know why they had a separate one and others didnt or are part of We Will.
You just have to understand our state’s dedication to wrestling, ISU’s historic contribution to the sport and the top heavy NIL influence from other schools. The people close to wrestling just believe this is one of the sports we can be perennially top 5 every year and they are going for it. Good on them.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
You just have to understand our state’s dedication to wrestling, ISU’s historic contribution to the sport and the top heavy NIL influence from other schools. The people close to wrestling just believe this is one of the sports we can be perennially top 5 every year and they are going for it. Good on them.
Oh I totally agree that Iowa is one of the few states that a separate fund for wrestling works.

I have a hard time believing it would work for several other sports here, just like in other states it wouldnt work for wrestling but may work for another sport.

I also have no idea if other schools have separate NIL funds for different sports or if we are unique in that aspect. It was more curiosity than anything as to why and the benefits of having separate vs all in one.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Does Volleyball, Track, Golf or any others besides Football & Basketball programs get NIL from We Will?
Im curious about this too, I have no Idea what all is included and what is not.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Thank you for all of your time and effort. You are not lecturing. You are trying to survive. People look for reasons not to contribute. You're either with us or against us and thank you for being with us. Don't let the negative nannies pull you down. Keep up the great work.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
One thing I wanted casual fans to know it that very few wrestlers are on a full ride. 9.9 scholarship over 40 guys doesn't go very far.

I do understand about paying for my on kids college education. Also have grandkids going to be starting at Iowa State and going to have to get loans.

Love your passion and support for ISU wrestling.

Question: Why 9.9 scholarships? Why not 10.0? Or 20.0? Where did the 9.9 number come from?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Love your passion and support for ISU wrestling.

Question: Why 9.9 scholarships? Why not 10.0? Or 20.0? Where did the 9.9 number come from?
NCAA. It is not an even number, because at one time there was a 10% cut in scholarships and that took wrestling to 9.9. @theshadow, is that the correct percentage and do you know what year?

That means our 10 starters can't even get a full scholarship!!!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Wrestling needs its own collective. It is a pretty hard core group and wrestling fans are a different breed than the rest (not bad different, but just different in their own way). It is a sport that probably has been supporting itself better and longer than other sports over the years.

We Will focuses on the 3 main sports of Football and MBB and WBB. You have to do Football and MBB because that is your two money making sports. Let them die and the whole AD suffers. Face it, soccer and swimming really have never been that successful, and very few people even mention them, so We Will needs to focus on what draws people.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I believe Brent has stated that if someone donates and designates it to a specific sport they will get the money there.

As far as C&G goes I am disappointed it is not a non-profit. I have switched all my We Will donating to go through my employer to get a match. I can't give much so I might as well double it and use my company's money.