FILM ROOM: Scouting the Iona Gaels

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
They have one great shooter but overall they are a good not great 3 point shooting team. Washington actually has a negative plus minus on offense and defense and he fouls a lot. They score a lot but efficiency isn't great so they must take a lot of bad shots which makes rebounding important. If ISU is good on the defensive boards this game could be a blow out.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I see all kinds of problems with a zone against these guys. First, they love to shoot it from outside, and aren't afraid to throw it up. Second, that allows them to choose which defender they want to attack with which player. I'd prefer to see Matt on English full time.

My thought was that it looks like they create their open shots and space from the dribble penetration. Cutting that off could force a little more stagnation out of them.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
So, you're saying they play Hoiball with regards to putting up shots before the defense sets up. Should be a fun game.

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
I miss that type of transitional offense that they are running . We seem to bury teams with that type of game play. I guess on the upside we know how to also stop that type of game play as well since the teams that usually beat us in that style slowed the game down and controlled the clock. It looks like if we don't get up quick we need to slow down the game and let Georges take this game over. I could see a huge game with Iona not matching up with the combo of Georges , Nader , and Mckay. I believe those three if they play the game they can we shouldn't have a problem with Iona . Then Matt heat up in the second half when Iona changes things up at halftime to collapse the lane .

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
When was the last time we had a first round game that was over before midway through the first half. Central Connecticut State? I'm sure I'm forgetting some since then, but I only seem to remember the nail biters and what happened last year.

Would love to be able to sit back and watch Stu get significant minutes in the 2nd half.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
and now I'm officially nervous... :mask:

Great breakdown! Stopping dribble drives has been a weakness, so I think we'll need to outscore them - because I don't see us slowing them down.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
When was the last time we had a first round game that was over before midway through the first half. Central Connecticut State? I'm sure I'm forgetting some since then, but I only seem to remember the nail biters and what happened last year.

Would love to be able to sit back and watch Stu get significant minutes in the 2nd half.

2nd half wasn't overly close in the Notre Dame or North Carolina Central games.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL

Central Connecticut State actually wasn't a full-on blowout. I think we end up winning by 10.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
If Iona is content to throw up threes without driving first, we will have a good chance of beating them by double digits. If they stick to driving and kicking, it could come down to how hot they are. As long as we stay disciplined in our offense and don't fall too far into their game, we should be able to get our points. The more I look at the matchup, the more I like what I see.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I often wonder what the film room for ISU says. Do they break down games by good Nader, bad Nader? Do they buy the "not athletic" label for Georges while watching him dissect his way through a defense?

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering

Didn't we 3-bomb the heck out of UCONN a few years ago? Notre Dame?

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Let's run a box and 1. Just have Thomas glued to English 24/7.

Run Thomas and Cooke all 1st half face guarding him in a box and 1...sorta like WV shutting down Buddy.

At the very least to tire him out early.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I love these breakdowns with the clips included. It's a great way to see players that many of us have probably never watched before. Keep these up!

Iona looks like a pretty free-flowing team that seems fearless from beyond the arc. It seems like attacking the perimeter is their chief objective, and then breaking down the lane once that gets stopped.

Their perimeter game scares me a bit, but I actually feel pretty good about our defensive match-up in the paint. I like McKay's chances at blocking some shots this game and I think Nader and Thomas could be very disruptive in the passing lanes with their quick hands. I could also see Burton being a real difference maker with his strength and wingspan.

Offensively, I think we're gonna get ours. We're just going to need to limit their second and third chances on defense and we should come out on top.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I often wonder what the film room for ISU says. Do they break down games by good Nader, bad Nader? Do they buy the "not athletic" label for Georges while watching him dissect his way through a defense?

Ha, we have to be frustrating as hell to scout from a defensive standpoint.

"Wait, how in the hell did that Nader guy score 24 points on us? He only had 2 points in that last game. And did that Thomas kid really just hit 6 out of 7 from three? He only put up two shots in the second half of that one game."

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
My thought was that it looks like they create their open shots and space from the dribble penetration. Cutting that off could force a little more stagnation out of them.

I do like it as a change of pace, possession by possession, to disrupt their rhythm. I think it's a good tool to use at times, but I think we are more effective at man overall. Also, they love the three, and I think they could really get going with some simple screens against our zone.

I can definitely see the benefit of using the zone more against Purdue, as they score more on the block, and don't have too many consistently deadly outside shooters. Could help protect our inside players from foul trouble there.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

We got up by 20+ against UCONN but they slowly crawled back in it. That first 10 minutes against them was the most fun I've ever had watching Iowa State play. North Carolina Central we blew out early in the 2nd half. Notre Dame we got up by 10-11 at halftime and blew them out the 2nd half.