Fertilizing my lawn for initial spring application

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Anyone have any suggestions for dealing with black medic? My neighborhood in Ankeny has seen this crap just explode the last few years. I've been pulling it out by the root and disposing of it, but it's starting to feel like a losing battle

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Just apply some N or do I apply some P and K too? Ive got some 30-0-3 in the garage but would something like a 10-10-10 work better?

I’ve been keeping up with mowing and raked out the crappy spots because I laid some seed down. The grass in that pic is only about 3 inches, it’s just not standing up. I haven’t aerated or dethatched since I moved in a couple years ago. I should probably do that I guess.

I'd just use the 30-0-3 you have on hand and see how it looks after a week or two.

Reactions: AgronAlum

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Anyone have any suggestions for dealing with black medic? My neighborhood in Ankeny has seen this crap just explode the last few years. I've been pulling it out by the root and disposing of it, but it's starting to feel like a losing battle

www.canr.msu.edu/news/white_clover_and_black_medic_infesting_turf

Says here, "The most effective herbicides for controlling black medic and white clover contain the active ingredient clopyralid, fluroxypyr or quinclorac."

extension.wsu.edu/whitman/2013/10/black-medic/

Says here, "Herbicides that contain triclopyr, dicamba, clopyralid, or 2,4-D combinations are generally effective if applied correctly, usually in early spring or fall when the plant is young and actively growing. More than one application may be necessary."

I'd invest in a bottle of something like Gordon's t-zone, as that's a handy and powerful cocktail of weed killers that would be useful for your black medic problem and other broadleaf weeds. Please follow the label rates and apply during the recommended temperatures, as t-zone is a little less forgiving then your typical bottle of weed killer. Another option would be to buy a bottle of Quinclorac name brand Drive. It would work on the black medic and also come in handy for post emergent crabgrass, if that's a problem in your lawn. You'll need to go to a lawn and landscape store to find these products or order online from somebody like www.doyourownpestcontrol.com

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
Download the Scotts app. It will tell you exactly what to do for any yard problem you may have. It works like a charm.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

Is that what that is? I just call it "three-leaf clover!"

I also have it and live in Ankeny. I've had mostly success with Roundup for Lawns, but it needs a couple sprays a week or so apart.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013

I also have it and live in Ankeny. I've had mostly success with Roundup for Lawns, but it needs a couple sprays a week or so apart.

Clover, oxalis, and black medic look a lot alike. Roundup for Lawns isn't the best bet for these weeds, but it should give ok control after 2 applications.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
I assume so, this is the 3rd summer we have been here, and previous owner obviously didnt do anything with the yard.

First off, I'm a fan of your avatar so I will continue to reply in order to see that nice young lady again.

You can rent a power rake or dethatcher, but it's cheaper just to buy a plug in one off amazon and they work pretty well. I think greenworks and sun joe make one.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
First off, I'm a fan of your avatar so I will continue to reply in order to see that nice young lady again.

You can rent a power rake or dethatcher, but it's cheaper just to buy a plug in one off amazon and they work pretty well. I think greenworks and sun joe make one.

Should I do it now? Fall? Spring?

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

It's a bit of a guess. At first I thought it was Creeping Charlie but the leaves are wrong and that stuff usually grows in thicker tree areas than my yard. If it's alive long enough it grows tiny yellow flowers that make me think that's right.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
It's a bit of a guess. At first I thought it was Creeping Charlie but the leaves are wrong and that stuff usually grows in thicker tree areas than my yard. If it's alive long enough it grows tiny yellow flowers that make me think that's right.

I think it's probably oxalis, or wood sorel. Triclopyr is the go to herbicide for that sort of thing and the t-zone I recommended earlier will wipe it out.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I de-thatched my front yard this AM and was appalled at how much thatch there was!!!

mom lawn clumps33.JPG

Looks like little hay piles! (after this I took care of the piles with the push mower / bagger).

Edit: I bought a cheap SunJoe electric de-thatcher -- it's on Amazon ( link here if you want to see it). I figure if it last 3 seasons it's cheaper than renting one. The bagger is so small it's useless, tho.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Should I do it now? Fall? Spring?

Even those pull behind ones for a rider will help out. I have a 40” one and it really pulls it up. It cost around 70 bucks. That is what the commercial people charge. We either hire it or do it ourselves each first mowing.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Dethatching seems odd to me. Why would you remove organic material from your yard that is eventually going to replenish top soil?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Dethatching seems odd to me. Why would you remove organic material from your yard that is eventually going to replenish top soil?

The right amount is good. If there's too much of it it can choke out the lawn.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
This is just one of those things I hire out and have it professionally done. I've done the math, and with the size of my yard it's just as cost-effective to have someone else do it, plus I don't have to worry about trying to figure out when to do it as it almost always seems like the weather here conflicts with my schedule to do it, plus I almost always leave burns and dead spots in my yard when I do it myself. My wife and I do almost all the rest of our yardwork, including mowing, but I'm done with fertilizing my yard myself.