Fertilizing my lawn for initial spring application

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I know this topic gets discussed every year, but would like to adjust the question a bit. I know it has been said that we should fertilize our yards at the end of April/early May for the initial time. Should this be adjusted since we are trending towards warmer temperatures earlier than normal?

• Funny
Reactions: flycy

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
My rule of thumb on crabgrass preventer is mid-March to mid-April. Ill probably do it no later than April 1 this year.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
It's Iowa, I wouldn't read too much into the temps this week because you never know when the next foot of snow might dump on us the following week. Last year we had 2 snow events in April so I would stick to normal time lines with yard work. Believe me, this week has me itching to get outside too but I know better enough than to think this weather is going to last all month.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Can we do the no weeds thing without adding fertilizer? And what would that look like?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Neighbor put his down on Saturday. Neighbor is also the guy that rakes the snow piles out and onto the street so they melt faster. He also mows it so low you can see where the blade rotations on top of the ground.

Going to overseed my yard in the next couple of weeks also.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Can we do the no weeds thing without adding fertilizer? And what would that look like?

Yes, but you'll need to go to a lawn and landscape supply store or order the powder concentrate and apply as a liquid. The granular type has an analysis of 0-0-7 , so it still contains potassium but no nitrogen. Active ingredient is typically prodiamine (barricade).

• Informative
Reactions: keepngoal

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
I was gonna post this link. That's what I follow too. And don't get worried until upper 40's and lower 50's.
This is 4 inches deep. Syngenta has a website that has surface temps. No need to put down pre-emergent herbicide until daily surface soil temps average 55 degrees.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Neighbor put his down on Saturday. Neighbor is also the guy that rakes the snow piles out and onto the street so they melt faster. He also mows it so low you can see where the blade rotations on top of the ground.

Going to overseed my yard in the next couple of weeks also.

Too early and irresponsible. Waste of chemical and fertilizer.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Just let the lawn go without putting poison on it. It will be fine.

It's a good goal to use the least amount possible. I haven't needed pre-emergent in the front yard in a couple years and most of my fertilizer is sourced from chicken manure these days. I don't generally recommend weed n feed products either unless specific conditions are met. There is a movement in the industry to build the soil and microbes to promote healthy turf without fungicides, herbicides, and insecticides.

Reactions: Acylum

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I know this topic gets discussed every year, but would like to adjust the question a bit. I know it has been said that we should fertilize our yards at the end of April/early May for the initial time. Should this be adjusted since we are trending towards warmer temperatures earlier than normal?

This question always reminds me of a former coworker who unabashedly admitted to other coworkers that he fertilized his house plants with his own excrement. Whenever I'm reminded of this, it ultimately leads to some unpleasant visuals (not to mention other senses) of him collecting the "fertilizer." Or did he just apply it directly? And why would he say something like that out loud, even if it was true? This guy very rarely ever spoke in the office and was only there for about 3-4 months, but he definitely left a lasting impression.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Yes, but you'll need to go to a lawn and landscape supply store or order the powder concentrate and apply as a liquid. The granular type has an analysis of 0-0-7 , so it still contains potassium but no nitrogen. Active ingredient is typically prodiamine (barricade).
I'll be applying this is a large yard (1.5-2 acres), where mixing with water would be quite time consuming. I do have the ability to spread the granular, and will that have the same effect if timed with upcoming rain? Looking at this:
Pennington Pro Care Crabgrass Control Plus .37 Prodiamine 0-0-7 Turf Fertilizer

• Agree
Reactions: nocsious3

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I use milorganite on my lawn. Its a byproduct of the waste treatment plant in Milwaukee.
I started using Millorganite last year because of all of the good feedback on it and plan on using it again this year. I saw a person mention Pennington pre-emergent. Any other recommendations for just pre-emergent?

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
I'll be applying this is a large yard (1.5-2 acres), where mixing with water would be quite time consuming. I do have the ability to spread the granular, and will that have the same effect if timed with upcoming rain? Looking at this:
Pennington Pro Care Crabgrass Control Plus .37 Prodiamine 0-0-7 Turf Fertilizer

That Pennington Pro Care is exactly what you're looking for. Sometimes people do split applications, once in April and then a second in June. If you do the split application, you'll need to read the label and stay under the yearly max rate. Also, the June application can sometimes interfere with Fall seeding, as Prodiamine is active in the soil longer then any other pre-emergent.

• Informative
Reactions: keepngoal

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron