Fertilizing my lawn for initial spring application

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
http://www.gddtracker.net/?model=7&offset=0&zip=50021

It appears I'll be putting down my pre emergent this coming weekend. Seems a little early, but it is supposed to really warm up in the coming days

814temp.new.gif

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Going to overseed and feed today. I recently relocated five squirrels from our back yard to have culled the heard a bit. Those damn buggers had little holes dug all over our back yard. With no kids in the back yard for a couple of weeks and some showers forecasted along with temps in the 50's, seed is not going to grow in the bag.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Amazon is selling pre emergent at a pretty good discount. $11.89/5K sf of product

https:// www.amazon.com/Scotts-Crabgrass-Grassy-Preventer-000sq-ft/dp/B00DU7Z62W

Make sure you aren't throwing down weed and feed. First fert application should wait until closer to Memorial Day

This is good advice for guys who did a good job in the Fall getting down two applications. When I stopped forcing early spring growth, less disease and better summer grass was the result. My fescue is fully awake now here in Kansas City and it doesn't need any fertilizer. In fact, I'll definitely mow
this week. The bluegrass in the front is still waking up some. My experiment this year is I'm not going to run crabgrass control this year. If I have issues I'll do post emergent control.

Guys who did two applications in the Fall likely don't need fertilizer until May.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan92

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Does everyone have that big of a crabgrass problem? I've gotten by with spot spraying Ortho Weed-B-Gone plus Crabgrass control. Since my neighbor mows down to the crown of the grass plant, I no longer have to worry about his ever going to seed again.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Does everyone have that big of a crabgrass problem? I've gotten by with spot spraying Ortho Weed-B-Gone plus Crabgrass control. Since my neighbor mows down to the crown of the grass plant, I no longer have to worry about his ever going to seed again.

I do in Ankeny. Major problem. In fact I should probably be hammering the lawn here before stuff starts growing again.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013

Crabgrass really only likes sunny spots. I quit applying in shady spots years ago. My problem was I bought some dirt to fill garden beds and I swear that dirt was 10% dirt and 90% weed seeds, so I still need it in the backyard. Front is pretty much free of crabgrass seeds at this point. If somehow the wind brought some seed in I'll pull it or spray quinclorac at the appropriate time.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Stick a thermometer in the ground and find out the temp. If it's above 50 degrees on a cloudy day you are in the window.
I've never applied earlier than May, never had a problem, and never have had to reapply. Maybe I've just been lucky but it's been working for me for years.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
If your preventer has starter in it now would be a good time. I’d rather get a good jump start and have to spot spray later.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
bought some seed the other day to fix a few bare spots from the leave piles in the fall, but with the forecasted temperatures and possible freezing rain/sleet mix possible will have to hold off on applying it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron