Fertilizing my lawn for initial spring application

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Grass is so dull. Prairie up.

I've wondered about doing something similar for the back of my backyard. My lawn slopes slightly down towards the back and everything then drains horizonally from there. Leaving the back part of my lawn soft and muddy pretty often and hard to mow without ruts.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
I am planning on dethatching this spring for the first time. Does anyone have any timing tips? Is it a no-go until everything has dried up?

tyrelrobert

Oct 18, 2006
West Des Moines,IA
I am planning on dethatching this spring for the first time. Does anyone have any timing tips? Is it a no-go until everything has dried up?

For sure wait until it dries up. It is a pain to clean muddy blades. If the weather cooperates enough that it is dry and the grass really hasn't started growing yet, get it done! It will still dethatch if actively growing, but in my experience the dethatcher fills up faster because it is pulling up thatch and cutting grass. Just more debris to clean up.

• Informative
Reactions: Fitzy

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
I've tried googling this, but wasn't smart enough to get the information I was seeking. Is it possible that soil temps can vary significantly even just yard to yard within a neighborhood or small geographical area? I have a full sun, flat, lower lying (wetter) back yard and I would contend my soil temps rise earlier in the year and my first application needs to go down sometime in mid March (maybe even early March). I suppose I could just measure my own soil temps, but was wondering if my hypothesis has any legs.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Once my yard dries out a bit more I want to aerate the heck out of it and then thrown down a bunch of grass seed. Then once the ground temperatures rise it should just start germinating

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
We are considering seeding the ditches in front of our farmstead to a prairie mix. The ditches can be a pain to mow if wet, the prairie is prettier, and it provides good habitat for monarchs and such.
We are thinking about doing this too and including a small patch of land. Do you have to kill the current grass/weeds first?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
As long as it isn't thick enough to choke out the grass I haven't had any trouble with wood chips/sawdust causing trouble.

I just filled two yard waste bins chuck full of chips/twigs and sawdust. Some areas were choked out. That was from a 30' x 30' area. Still have to deal with around 20 holes now. Some of those logs really did a number on my yard. A couple holes are almost a foot deep.

Last edited:

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
We are thinking about doing this too and including a small patch of land. Do you have to kill the current grass/weeds first?
I'd recommend it. Also, don't expect instant results. Natives and prairie forbs in particular are very deep rooted and will take 3-4 years to fully establish. Adding some annuals and biennials to nurse things along can help bridge the gap.

• Informative
Reactions: 1100011CS

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We are considering seeding the ditches in front of our farmstead to a prairie mix. The ditches can be a pain to mow if wet, the prairie is prettier, and it provides good habitat for monarchs and such.

I sowed some native perennials last spring in the front of a couple big wooden planter boxes and was amazed by the production of peppers I got. Going to plant some milkweed seed in it this spring.

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
What is the earliest I can overseed to get a head start? I anticipate that it will be dormant for a while with soil temps but getting it down on wet grass/ground before we get additional snow rain could be beneficial right?

Reactions: arobb

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
What is the earliest I can overseed to get a head start? I anticipate that it will be dormant for a while with soil temps but getting it down on wet grass/ground before we get additional snow rain could be beneficial right?

The earliest was last fall before winter. But yes, if you didn't do it then right now would be best. The soil is still damp because the angle of the sun has yet to warm the soil to where things evaporate more quickly. But that window is closing fast. And if we hit a dry March spell you may want to water what you put down just to make sure.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I've tried googling this, but wasn't smart enough to get the information I was seeking. Is it possible that soil temps can vary significantly even just yard to yard within a neighborhood or small geographical area? I have a full sun, flat, lower lying (wetter) back yard and I would contend my soil temps rise earlier in the year and my first application needs to go down sometime in mid March (maybe even early March). I suppose I could just measure my own soil temps, but was wondering if my hypothesis has any legs.

I'd buy a meat thermometer at stick it in the ground in you want to be that precise.

Reactions: tman24

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Best product to use for over seeding lawn? And method? My back yard is getting thin and I have a handful of bare spots to begin with. Didn’t get on top of it last fall when I should have.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
Is it possible to throw some seed down in spots now, try to get some growth, then still be able to apply pre-emergent this Spring?

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Is it possible to throw some seed down in spots now, try to get some growth, then still be able to apply pre-emergent this Spring?

Id say no. By the time the ground is at a temp where the grass will germinate, the weeds are starting as well.

• Winner
Reactions: cyfan92

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club

I think you are supposed to wait several months before seeding after applying pre-emerg. Seeds won't likely germinate until after you have put down your application anyway.

If you have to seed and weeds weren't too bad in 2020. Just seed in the spring and tackle weeds once it has established

Reactions: HardcoreClone

MushroomPinball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2017
You could do that but then you’d have to wait to apply your pre-emergent later in the spring and likely miss the window for that application.

Reactions: HardcoreClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron