Fertilizing my lawn for initial spring application

• Fanatics -

Thank you for your patience today and welcome to the newest version of Cyclone Fanatic!

Most of the changes we have made are very simple, but will greatly improve your user experience while visiting the website.

We have upgraded our forum software to speed things up. Our homepage is much cleaner and should be even more mobile friendly than before.

We appreciate your loyalty and are committed to not only keeping Cyclone Fanatic in tip-top shape, but continuing to build this community for the next decade and beyond.

We ask that if you are experiences any glitches to let us know in this thread . Will will be diligently working on the site all day.

Thanks again.

Chris Williams - Publisher

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
When is the best time to start seeding in central Iowa. Late August?
Its not scientific but i was went by the rule of thumb to seed any month except the ones that end in y (excluding may). Usually it depends how much you want to water really.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Okay so another question I’ve been watering and the crab grass is just absolutely exploding to the point I can’t keep up on it. Is that a sign I’m watering too much?

chuckd4735

Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
You go early or late december?
Ive heard people say the best way to seed is to wait for the first snowfall, and put your seed on top of the snow, and let it keep snowing on top of the seed. Once spring hits and the snow melts, it takes off. Ive never tried that. My rule has always been to seed after Labor Day.

BCClone

SuperFanatic
Sep 4, 2011
North Iowa
Ive heard people say the best way to seed is to wait for the first snowfall, and put your seed on top of the snow, and let it keep snowing on top of the seed. Once spring hits and the snow melts, it takes off. Ive never tried that. My rule has always been to seed after Labor Day.

A late seed before any sprouting can happen is fine. If you seed fall, I would seed so you get an inch or so of growth on the grass and don't even come near it with a mower. Worst thing is to seed it and have it just sprout, good chance it will die right away.

titleist

Dec 31, 2008
Ames
Is it a good time to spread this or is it too late? Forgot i had it in my garage.

NickTheGreat

Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I've known some old timers who swear by that. Haven't tried it myself either.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Curious if anyone knows of a good local aerator (maybe overseed as well though I can do that myself). Did it myself once and that was enough for me.