FERGUSON: Joens' return sets sky-high expectations for Iowa State in 2022-23 season

Connor_Ferguson

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 9, 2019

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm not trying to turn this into some anti-Bill thread, but boy is the pressure on for him to adapt this offseason. You've got every piece you could ever want for a deep run in the tournament, it's time to add some variety to the roster. There was much made of this year's team being great and fun to watch but being limited by a ceiling due to the lack of variety in their play. It's time to fix that and build some pieces around a great, great returning roster.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm not trying to turn this into some anti-Bill thread, but boy is the pressure on for him to adapt this offseason. You've got every piece you could ever want for a deep run in the tournament, it's time to add some variety to the roster. There was much made of this year's team being great and fun to watch but being limited by a ceiling due to the lack of variety in their play. It's time to fix that and build some pieces around a great, great returning roster.

I don't think there's much opportunity to add variety to the roster - but I do think its huge to add to the offense.

Even with Ashley back, I think you need to design the offense around Ryan and her ability to distribute. Ashley really struggled with scoring when her back was to the basket (against some teams). I'd love to see her on the wing more and driving to the basket - maybe some pick and roll/pop with Ryan.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
I agree. The expectations will be sky high but the ceiling could stay the same unless we're willing to change.
Like I said in other post: we should try experimenting using Ashley as a decoy. You know opponents are going to swarm her. Try to run plays without involving her with her on the court.
Find good post players. I know that "we don't apologize for who we are" but who we are? I love BF but at some point I am sure recruits want to join team who adapts. Can we be physical without being WWE level? Sure, we can.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I don't think there's much opportunity to add variety to the roster - but I do think its huge to add to the offense.

Even with Ashley back, I think you need to design the offense around Ryan and her ability to distribute. Ashley really struggled with scoring when her back was to the basket (against some teams). I'd love to see her on the wing more and driving to the basket - maybe some pick and roll/pop with Ryan.

I guess there just isn't quite the roster turnover in WBB as there is in MBB and I agree there's limited opportunity to reinvent the wheel here. I just hope it's not another year of complaining when we get out-physicaled. It's time to do something about it in the way we construct our roster.

I would also agree it's time to take a good, long look at where our offense runs through. I think by the end of the year we rightfully figured out Ashley iso-ball can be effective but isn't a long term plan.

Connor_Ferguson

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 9, 2019

I think it's tough to say they lost the Sweet 16 game because of lack of variety. They just didn't play their best game and it bit them. That team was 7-0 with six comfortable wins against capable teams that play a similar style. That's just March and Creighton caught lightning in a bottle. Missed opportunity for sure to hang another Elite 8 banner, but yeah like I said it just didn't go their way.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Should be Preseason Top 10 and a pick to contend for the Big XII title - depending on what Baylor does.

I've been paying extra attention to WBB this year. The difference between Top 5 and Top 10 is significant.

South Carolina had 11 players over 6 feet tall! And all were athletic.

Last edited:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
In the last 3 seasons, ISU is 2-8 when the opponent makes 10+ three-pointers. Creighton made 11.

The two wins were at Drake this year (ISU made 15 to Drake's 10), and a 64-63 win over OU in 2021.

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I started watching WBB in 2020 when the MBB was so terrible and now I can’t miss a WBB game. Ryan and Donarski were good players last year but made huge strides this year. Diew improved greatly throughout the season. Fritz showed great athleticism and toughness early in the season so can’t wait to see her healthy next year. Kane and Jordao also improved during the year. May need to add a bigger body to compete with the TX, Baylor, and KSU centers.
I’d like to see some wrinkles in the offense to get more movement. Late in the season we saw a lot of standing and watching the dribbler go one-on-one. Could also stand to be a little better on defense (Donarski and Ryan excepted).
Looking forward to seeing them again in the Fall!

• Agree
Reactions: TrulyCyclone

peatyscotch

Feb 16, 2022
I enjoy the comments here, and yes, a bigger post or center would be nice. My much bigger worry next year is pressure. I've written about it before. I hope the fans can back off a bit and let the women play. Our girls were under a LOT of pressure to win; Creighton were on the floor laughing and grinning, just like they did against Iowa. They had nothing to lose and had very little pressure on them. Reading the above, you are already ratcheting up the pressure. Remember, we make our free throws against Creighton and one or two more baskets and we win that game. Nothing strategic. Nothing requiring changes to the nature of the womens' game. Maybe the team needs a sports psychologist more than a bigger post or a center. For me, I am happy to sit back and watch then women play, I thoroughly enjoyed watching them this year, and will do so again next year. They showed character and grit all season long. Oh, and by the way, do you really think Ashely came back just to break a few team records?

CloneSt8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 1, 2011
I enjoy the comments here, and yes, a bigger post or center would be nice. My much bigger worry next year is pressure. I've written about it before. I hope the fans can back off a bit and let the women play. Our girls were under a LOT of pressure to win; Creighton were on the floor laughing and grinning, just like they did against Iowa. They had nothing to lose and had very little pressure on them. Reading the above, you are already ratcheting up the pressure. Remember, we make our free throws against Creighton and one or two more baskets and we win that game. Nothing strategic. Nothing requiring changes to the nature of the womens' game. Maybe the team needs a sports psychologist more than a bigger post or a center. For me, I am happy to sit back and watch then women play, I thoroughly enjoyed watching them this year, and will do so again next year. They showed character and grit all season long. Oh, and by the way, do you really think Ashely came back just to break a few team records?
Wow! Most sensible post yet! And yes it would be nice to have that Angie Welle like post. But it has to be someone with the right personality that will not ruin the chemistry this team has! One bad apple...

Reactions: ISU40

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I actually think a bigger post could help us defensively against certain teams. However, I'm not sure it's the answer offensively that some are wanting. We've got enough players needing touches our post does not need to score inside. I hated (but admired) the way Creighton was backdooring us to death. Would like to see Ashley and Lexi cutting to the basket more rather than backing down with the dribble. But yes, I am more than excited about the next season. Watching that UConn/NCState game last night was amazing. As another poster said, the difference between Top 5 and Top 10 in WBB is huge. I have no doubt we can be top 10, can we make the leap to top 5? Huge ask, but I'm excited to see if play out!

Reactions: NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I think it's tough to say they lost the Sweet 16 game because of lack of variety. They just didn't play their best game and it bit them. That team was 7-0 with six comfortable wins against capable teams that play a similar style. That's just March and Creighton caught lightning in a bottle. Missed opportunity for sure to hang another Elite 8 banner, but yeah like I said it just didn't go their way.

We got out Iowa Stated by Creighton. Just one of those games.