Ferentz with the worst contract in CFB

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
giphy.webp

NW has been a challenge for Iowa in the past, not sure what happened to them the last couple years. Purdue looked like it was getting better last year, but fell on their faces this year. NU will eventually get better under Frost. He is a very good recruiter, and will make a move eventually, but the talent level is startlingly bad right now. MN and P. J Fleck, who know. IL, there is no excuse for them not being better with the recruiting base that they have.

Right now, besides WI and IA the rest of the east looks like a conference KU would dominate.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
How much money has Iowa saved by not having to buyout a coach in 40 years? I saw where ISU paid Rhoads $5 million to leave. Other schools have paid much more to fire coaches.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
So basically ISU is paying Campbell $3.5 million and Rhoads $750,000. Total head coaching salary is $4.25 million.

• Informative
Reactions: dexterhawk

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
How much money has Iowa saved by not having to buyout a coach in 40 years? I saw where ISU paid Rhoads $5 million to leave. Other schools have paid much more to fire coaches.
All hypothetical. You never know, honestly.
Iowa could be where they're at now financially, or they could be lower with a worse coach or higher with a better coach.

• Agree
Reactions: iahawks and breck53

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
All hypothetical. You never know, honestly.
Iowa could be where they're at now financially, or they could be lower with a worse coach or higher with a better coach.

I agree with you, but the fact remains that Rhoads will be getting $750,000 a year until 2022.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I agree with you, but the fact remains that Rhoads will be getting $750,000 a year until 2022.
That's nothing these days. That plus Campbell's salary is still less than was Nebraska is paying Frost to be 0-4, what Illinois is paying Lovie Smith to suck, etc.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
That's nothing these days. That plus Campbell's salary is still less than was Nebraska is paying Frost to be 0-4, what Illinois is paying Lovie Smith to suck, etc.

Oh I agree, look at Jimbo's buyout. Holy smokes!!! KF and Campbell also have big buyouts at the moment. College coaches always have to have at least five years left on their deal in order to recruit so there will always be a buyout when someone gets fired. Just the way it works now.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Oh I agree, look at Jimbo's buyout. Holy smokes!!! KF and Campbell also have big buyouts at the moment. College coaches always have to have at least five years left on their deal in order to recruit so there will always be a buyout when someone gets fired. Just the way it works now.
That Jimbo contract with Texas A&M is SO BAD. Like who let the AD write that? Fully guaranteed if they want to fire him but he can just walk and not have to pay anything back.

At least Ferentz (very) and Campbell (getting there) are established at their schools. What if Jimbo can't figure out how to win in the SEC or in Texas? Granted Texas A&M is a money machine so they could pay off Jimbo pretty easily.

• Agree
Reactions: MeowingCows

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Urban Meyer, Jimbo Fisher, Gus Malzahn, Kirk Ferentz. Seems like a pretty strong list to be included in.

Yeah one of those things is not like the other.

I get you’re a ******* insecure moron, but to be as stupid as you come off is like the triple crown of worthlessness

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
This is why you pay Ferentz and why Iowa State will pay Campbell once he proves himself.

http://footballscoop.com/news/p-j-f...l-automatically-win-need-look-around-country/
Thanks, very interesting. I’m not sold that Fleck is the long term answer but stability once you find the right fit is critical. ISU is all in on Campbell which I think is the right move...the trick for ISU is to stick with him even if he falters. Just too easy to clean house to satisfy the donors and fan base when in the end that knee jerk reaction sets you back years.

Blue bloods in recruiting hotbeds can do this...devepmental/recruiting challenged programs simply can’t IMO

• Agree
Reactions: isu81

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron