Favorite use of soundtrack

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
What is your favorite use of soundtrack? This doesn't necessarily mean just good music but the use of that music/score in the film/show.

Mine would be American Werewolf In London. The use of the music soundtrack in that movie are great and that is something that I always think no matter how many times I have seen that movie. The wolf transformation and ending credit music are incredible in that movie.

Another that I would throw in there for "use" of soundtrack would be the Buffy the Vampire Slayer "The Body" episode. There is absolutely no music/score in the episode. There is a very impactful death that happens at the very start of the episode. The gravity and silence of the scenarios hit home more than any music could.

Reactions: SaraV

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I was going to say Pulp Fiction, the singalong to "Tiny Dancer" in Almost Famous, and the use of Barber's "Adagio for Strings" in Platoon.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Two films come to mind off the top of my head, that had their openings completely sold by their music. From the same composer (Michae Giacchino)

The opening scene to the most recent Star Trek film. From about the 8 minute on especially in this clip to the end, you know this movie is about to be something great, and the music is a huge part of that.

[video=youtube;N5BONJcookQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5BONJcookQ[/video]

Up- everything with carl and ellie was told with that music.

I'm also a fan of the use of it on several moments from Bear Mccreary in his music for Walking Dead and Battlestar Galactica.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Oh, also, forrest gump. The music was huge to that movie.

MadCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2006
Madison, WI
What movie was it where there was a slow motion gunfight with "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" playing over it all?

I remember that movie "Face Off" with Nic Cage. The cops invade his hideout and the little kid has headphones listening to that song while a bunch of shooting is going on. Not sure if that is what you're thinking of.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Anything done by Wes Anderson. Royal Tenenbaums, Rushmore and The Life Aquatic all had killer soundtracks. The scene in Life Aquatic where Bill Murray goes nuts on the pirates set to "Search and Destroy" by Iggy Pop is hilarious.

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
"Once Upon A Time In The West". Morricone did separate musical styles for each main character (Claudia Cardinale, Henry Fonda, Jason Robards and Charles Bronson) and the music changed depending on who was the focus of that scene.

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
I was going to say Pulp Fiction, the singalong to "Tiny Dancer" in Almost Famous, and the use of Barber's "Adagio for Strings" in Platoon.

Whenever I hear that music, I think of that scene in "The Naked Gun" where Leslie Nielsen & Priscilla Presley are coming out of a theatre laughing their ***** off. When the camera opens up the shot as they walk away, you see "PLATOON" on the marquee.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
A couple of my internet friends are totally fehrklempt waiting for "Man of Steel" because he did the soundtrack. I guess some snippets of it have leaked, and it seems to be more excellent work on his part.

isn't Amy Adams going to be in that? I love her. Oh, and Pirates, can't forget Pirates.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Whenever I hear that music, I think of that scene in "The Naked Gun" where Leslie Nielsen & Priscilla Presley are coming out of a theatre laughing their ***** off. When the camera opens up the shot as they walk away, you see "PLATOON" on the marquee.

I always forget that sight gag until I see it, and then I lose it.

Mumbai1986

Mar 9, 2008
Arlington, VA
UP is the best when it comes to music defining the scenes. All you saw were the character's actions and the music to set the scene. One of the best scenes created by Pixar.

Two films come to mind off the top of my head, that had their openings completely sold by their music. From the same composer (Michae Giacchino)

The opening scene to the most recent Star Trek film. From about the 8 minute on especially in this clip to the end, you know this movie is about to be something great, and the music is a huge part of that.

[video=youtube;N5BONJcookQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5BONJcookQ[/video]

Up- everything with carl and ellie was told with that music.

I'm also a fan of the use of it on several moments from Bear Mccreary in his music for Walking Dead and Battlestar Galactica.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
Anything Hans Zimmer did, but especially the Dark Knight and Inception.

I was going to say Inception, and cool thing about the song that they used to wake up is the same one when they are different levels within the dream. It's just played a lot slower.