Favorite Professor

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Mike Crum - Transportation

I used him as a reference for pretty much every logistics class I had and still use him to this day for projects I do in my career. He was, and still is, always happy to help.

Another good choice. I really enjoyed his class.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Actually Molian taught machine design and manufacturing. I'm not sure about the old Thermo 2 prof you're talking about.

If you went around now saying that you liked Judy Vance you may get your *** kicked anymore. Amoung my class she was regarded as the person that ran the department into the ground.

Interesting about Judy. I knew that she became the chair of the ME department for a while. Was she in over her head? I had her as professor back in 94 or 95 so I'm sure thing have changed.

zdorr40

Apr 3, 2006
Des Moines
Visit site
And of course Fred Choobineh

"You have 5, 6 martini..."

Not sure how much he said was really true. He could be kind of a ****, too. There was this kid in our intro to MIS class that had some kind of a speech impediment. Every time this kid would talk, Fred would laugh at him.

Last edited:

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Harry Kaun - Sports Management Dept.
Before the first test I took in his class he said, "If it says all of the above as an answer, it is correct". I was sceptical but that was correct and for the next three years I used that little hint very wisely.

As well Dr. Jack Daniels helped me learn alot!

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Interesting about Judy. I knew that she became the chair of the ME department for a while. Was she in over her head? I had her as professor back in 94 or 95 so I'm sure thing have changed.

I think it was a combination of things. I do think she was in over her head for one thing. I also think that she made some bad choices in how to deal with the budget crunch. She pumped resources into nano tech and VR which I would have been fine with but there were no courses offered to go along with it. That came at the expense of CAD, hydraulics, IC engines and a couple other areas (totaled 7 courses in one semester). I know a number of people met with her regarding those cuts (including myself) and she came off as very condescending to every one of us.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
David Stuart was pretty good.
Curt Hoff really isn't a professor but is pretty good.
Gotta love the Geo 100 lady. (can't think of her name)
Gary Koppenhaver was a good teacher and I learned the most in that class.
HDFS 276 lady had some funny moments.

And of course Fred Choobineh

Agree on Curt Hoff...Fin 445 right? He had a ton of great information and I learned a lot in his class.

I think Geo 100 lady is Cervato, at least that's who was teaching it when I had it.

And Choobineh. That guy is awesome. When I had him Google was just going public. He would ask every day if anyone "used the Google dot com." He also always talked about realmartini.com.

Last edited:

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
So does Choobineh strike a familiar look/accent to Borat? My roommate just took an MIS class last semester and all he ever referred to the guy as was Borat, and how he talked about "google stock" all the time

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
Lina Del Castillo for Colonial Latin America. Kind of hard not to pay attention in class when she is teaching.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I graduated in 2002 but here's some that still might be around and have already been discussed:

Fred Choobineh (MIS)
fred88.jpg

Probably the coolest prof

Larry Curtis (Business Law)
lrcmayor.jpg

Loved his class, made everything simple and easy to understand.

Jeffrey Kaufmann (Management)
jkaufmnn.jpg

If you are a business major you may get him for the mandatory Managment class I think it is you have take your final semester. He is AWESOME! No exams, it's all class participation and group case studies. He had a optional final if you were doing bad and needed a boost to your grade but if you put in the time and didn't skip out on class there is no reason you couldn't get an A or B in his class. He actually taught and didn't go through the motions like some profs do and he kept to his word on his office hours which some don't do either. Have to say he actually tops Fred as far as a prof you will actually like and learn a lot at the same time while enjoying his class.

As for other, Dave Stuart was not bad for Music 102, just don't be a JA in his class and get him mad because then you will feel the wrath! I heard they canceled Music 104 which was the History of Rock and Roll. He was awesome in that class, much more laid back and that class was a blast to go to.

As for a couple prof I would avoid like the plague:

Anada Weerasinghe (Math)
DahiyaR6135.jpg

The ONLY class I have EVER failed at any level. His teaching methods suck, you can't understand him, and even the TA's for his classes will tell you his ways suck and will show you better ways to do the material.

Mr. and Mrs. Tomlinson (Computer Science). According to the Computer Science faculty page it says they are both retired but both were terrible in lecture and didn't prepare you well for tests and assignments. I had Mr. T for 2 classes, her for 1. One of Mr. T's classes, the class average on 1 exam was under 50% which really PO'd everyone. He gave us some big lecture about it and someone piped up about how just maybe if the whole class bombed the test either it was not a good exam or maybe he should have lectured on the material better to prepare us.

Virginia Blackburn (Management)
vblackbu.jpg

Had her during the 9/11 semester and she basically rambled on about that the rest of the semester. A lecture hall of around 300 people was down to maybe 50 tops by the end of the semester because you didn't get squat out of her lectures. Read the book and attend the lecture before each exam and you basically got all you needed to take the exams.

I'll probably think of more for both lists later as they come to me...

TxCycloneFan

Oct 19, 2006
Bastrop TX
David Stuart was the best trombone teacher I ever had.
Joe Christensen (Big Joe) was an excellant teacher, he had great stories about his time at BYU and getting in trouble there. God rest his soul...

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
David Stuart was the best trombone teacher I ever had.
Joe Christensen (Big Joe) was an excellant teacher, he had great stories about his time at BYU and getting in trouble there. God rest his soul...

Amen

jjisu

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
Virginia Blackburn (Management)
vblackbu.jpg
I had her for my Mgmt course in my final semester. I didnt think she was bad at all... of course it wasn't a lecture class, only about 30ppl.
she did ramble on about oil prices a bit. Overall, a decent prof. IMO

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I had her for my Mgmt course in my final semester. I didnt think she was bad at all... of course it wasn't a lecture class, only about 30ppl.
she did ramble on about oil prices a bit. Overall, a decent prof. IMO

I think I got a decent grade in her class but the problem was I had her twice a week for 90 minutes each time and got absolutely nothing out of her lectures except for occasional naps which eventually I just started skipping class altogether like many others started doing. She'd come in and ramble about her coffee shop for 20 minutes or something completely unrelated to class that no one cared about. Almost all the exam material was in the text book so it was pointless to waste 90 minutes on a lecture you got nothing from. Maybe she is better in a smaller class, but I really didn't want to spend 45 minutes talking about 9/11 once a week right after it happened.

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
has it really been 10 years?

rest in peace Joe.

There was a suggestion at one time of raising the money and getting signatures to rename Music Hall after "C".

Don't know what ever became of that. It would be nice to get some portion of the Music Hall named after him. Great Man, Great Musician, Phenomenal Educator.

jjisu

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
I think I got a decent grade in her class but the problem was I had her twice a week for 90 minutes each time and got absolutely nothing out of her lectures except for occasional naps which eventually I just started skipping class altogether like many others started doing. She'd come in and ramble about her coffee shop for 20 minutes or something completely unrelated to class that no one cared about. Almost all the exam material was in the text book so it was pointless to waste 90 minutes on a lecture you got nothing from. Maybe she is better in a smaller class, but I really didn't want to spend 45 minutes talking about 9/11 once a week right after it happened.
can't blame you there...that would have been frustrating.

zdorr40

Apr 3, 2006
Des Moines
Visit site
I see Fred is still being Fred. Back in the Mid90s his favorite daily saying was how great his Boston Chicken stock was doing (is it still Boston market now after the bankruptcy? ) >

In the late 90s when I was there, he must have moved on to currency trading. He would talk about how he would buy currencies and watch them go up and down "in the real-time" and sell seconds later earning windfall profits.

His stories about when he was a cabbie in NYC and DC were amusing as well.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron