Favorite Professor

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
Sweet! Have him this semester for Acct 215 :biggrin:

If you sit in the first few rows he'll use you as an example for just about every story, but it's not as awkward as you'd think. I remember Prof Curtis asked a question on our 2nd day of class and I didn't have my hand raised and had never said a word to him--but he called me by name and after a few seconds of wondering "how does he know my name?" I answered.

But he's really cool. Tests are ridiculously hard. Seriously. HARD. But he curves it a lot--I had a 65% on the tests and came out with a B+. Wish I had a reason to take Acct 316

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
I assume the original poster has used ratemyprofessor? I always thought that was useful in choosing classes.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I assume the original poster has used ratemyprofessor? I always thought that was useful in choosing classes.
Yep. Place is the Bible of college professors. The only crappy part is when you sign up for a class and they don't give you the professor :mad:

CyGal

Mar 1, 2006
WDM
My intro to MIS teacher, Fred (don't remember the last name, but he told us to call him Fred), had thousands of stories to tell. Once pulled out about 40 credit cards, all in his name, and said he once bought a car with a credit card, one with cash back awards. Wasn't particularly fond of the class, but he was a hoot.

Also, a Political Science teacher who's name I don't remember. He was a German guy, and my class was during the fall of 2001. Watching him deal with the idiots asking him what the terrorists were going to do next, as if he had them on speed dial, was interesting. He did a great job of teaching the class and dealing with the current events of 9/11/01.

My major was accounting, and my 2 favorite teachers were Jim Kurtenbach, who was a great teacher, and Marv Bouillion, basically because I was teacher's pet.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
My intro to MIS teacher, Fred (don't remember the last name, but he told us to call him Fred), had thousands of stories to tell. Once pulled out about 40 credit cards, all in his name, and said he once bought a car with a credit card, one with cash back awards. Wasn't particularly fond of the class, but he was a hoot.

Also, a Political Science teacher who's name I don't remember. He was a German guy, and my class was during the fall of 2001. Watching him deal with the idiots asking him what the terrorists were going to do next, as if he had them on speed dial, was interesting. He did a great job of teaching the class and dealing with the current events of 9/11/01.

My major was accounting, and my 2 favorite teachers were Jim Kurtenbach, who was a great teacher, and Marv Bouillion, basically because I was teacher's pet.
The Choobineh dude discussed above.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Yep. Place is the Bible of college professors. The only crappy part is when you sign up for a class and they don't give you the professor :mad:

I work for one of the departments on campus as a System Admin and its pretty hilarious how bent out of shape some profs get at the reviews people give them

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Molian was probably the best professor I had in Mech. E. He made things every easy to understand once you figured out his accent (somehow young's modulus became hank's modulus).

I also thought LD Sturges was pretty good if he didn't scare you off in the first few lectures.

Cy Heavy

Aug 29, 2006
Ankeny
There was a really old dude that taught military history in the late 90's whose name escapes me that I loved. I also liked Steffen Schmidt when I had him for a graduate class

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I liked Ron Nelson for Thermo and Fluid Dynamics. He always was smiling and earned him the nickname Smiling Ron. Judy Vance was a good prof for Mechanics. Jon Van Gerpen was not very exciting, but taught well, for my IC Engines Course. There was another quirky, younger professor that taught heat transfer. He was a loose canon. He would call a pop quiz and say something like "If anyone gets a perfect score, you get an A for the Semester" and my personal favorite "If you currently have an 85% or higher in this class, you don't need to take the final unless you want to." This was probably 94 or 95. Anyone know who I might be thinking of?

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Molian was probably the best professor I had in Mech. E. He made things every easy to understand once you figured out his accent (somehow young's modulus became hank's modulus).

I also thought LD Sturges was pretty good if he didn't scare you off in the first few lectures.

Hey, who was the old dude that taught Thermo 2 opposite Molian that no one wanted? I can't recall.

Some other names of ME profs that people tried to avoid:

Peters - ME310
Delmer Van Meter - Thermo 1 & 2. (he was my advisor. he was disgusting as was his office.)

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
The best part about Choobineh is how he always went to FAC and had a couple beers at the M-Shop while asking his students during class to join him. Awesome.

Choobineh was good, but I have to say that I was home for a summer and took some classes up at UNI. I had the best Prof I've ever had there. His name was Dr. Fred Miller and he was the head of the Econ Department at UNI. I took Macro Econ, and he was awesome. Best teacher I've EVER had.

Other great professors at ISU include Mike (i think it was Mike) Barone in Marketing, and Russel Lascniak for Marketing Stat. I was a Marketing / MIS double major, but all my MIS professors sucked except for Choobineh.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Hey, who was the old dude that taught Thermo 2 opposite Molian that no one wanted? I can't recall.

Peters - ME310
Delmer Van Meter - Thermo 1 & 2. (he was my advisor. he was disgusting as was his office.)

Joensen was the prof that people tried to avoid....All these people that we tried to avoid are now Emeritus Profs. Peters, Van Meter, and Joensen. Crazy.

Alfred Joensen

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA

Peters - ME310

Actually Molian taught machine design and manufacturing. I'm not sure about the old Thermo 2 prof you're talking about.

If you went around now saying that you liked Judy Vance you may get your *** kicked anymore. Amoung my class she was regarded as the person that ran the department into the ground.

josier

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 9, 2007
Johnston
Choobineh used to tell us he had a computer model for predicting the movement in the Dow Jones for the next day. He said he would take cash advances from his credit cards and buy DJIA futures and he would make $100,000 a day. His model was 94% accurate. I never could figure out why he was still working at ISU making all that money.

Gary Koppenhaver was by far my favorite professor. I had him for 3 classes and enjoyed them all. I heard recently he left and went to Illinois State which is too bad. Marv Bouillon was also great, had him for real estate and Accounting.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Fred Haan

I think the class was Aero 161 or something along those lines (was 5 years ago). Suddenly, in the middle of lecture he starts to sniff and asks, "Do you guys smell something?" We all are looking at eachother like, "Well, it is Gilman, so we always smell something". He continues, "No i seriously smell something". He walks into the hall and comes back with cookies for the class.:wink:

Or another story with him was opening day for the Cubs he did an entire lecture with his baseball glove on. Didn't mention anything about, just did the lecture with his glove.

Certainly! Put me in as another vote for Fred Haan. Only prof I ever had that brought cookies in to class!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron