Favorite Movies of 2018

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I think it was a bigger deal because it was a minority super hero on center stage, not just a secondary character. There are a lot of people who took pride in that and felt good about being represented in that kind of blockbuster movie.

It helps that the movie was very popular and had a lot of focus put upon it.

If I had to stretch, I guess I could get there, but seriously.....who has Will Smith been playing in numerous movies? How about Denzel Washington?

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I was kind of "meh" about black panther and then when we saw Aquaman I thought it was pretty but I told Mrs. Velo after that I think I am just about superheroed out.

I can't believe how many movies some people have seen. I think I have seen Black Panther, Jurassic Park, Incredibles and Aquaman this year.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
If I had to stretch, I guess I could get there, but seriously.....who has Will Smith been playing in numerous movies? How about Denzel Washington?

I didn't think about Men In Black or maybe Independence Day, but are those really kids movies? Denzel is a great actor, but he also isn't portraying a super hero.

Super hero movies are different, especially for kids. Will Smith and Denzel might be heroes to young African American kids, but they aren't portraying the same kind of characters as Superman or Batman or Captain America.

Now I'm not surprised by this, as comic books have always been marketed to white males more than anyone else, so that's who all the main characters are and who in turn gets movies made about them.

Let me put it in a sports analogy that all of us ISU fans might be able to understand.
We love ISU football, and we enjoy watching our players play in the NFL, but we've never had that superstar NFL player come from ISU, just supporting characters.
Now, lets say Brock Purdy does great things at ISU and gets drafted in the first round in a few years. He goes to the NFL and lights it up and ends up being the Super Bowl MVP. Everyone football fan in the world is finally watching a former Iowa State player as the star on the biggest stage in football.

Imagine how ISU fans would feel if that were to happen. We are a huge minority as far as alumni we can root for in the NFL.

Now, imagine there were approximately 47.4 million ISU fans in this country and we had never seen one of our own win a super bowl. How would we feel about that? Would that be a pretty big deal?

Black Panther wasn't the best super hero movie ever, but it was a very good movie and it is a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I didn't think about Men In Black or maybe Independence Day, but are those really kids movies? Denzel is a great actor, but he also isn't portraying a super hero.

Super hero movies are different, especially for kids. Will Smith and Denzel might be heroes to young African American kids, but they aren't portraying the same kind of characters as Superman or Batman or Captain America.
Will Smith did play Hancock.

I keed, I keed.
original.jpg

Reactions: cyhiphopp

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I have not seen a great deal of these - but here are the few I saw (disregard the numbers - I can't get them to delete without totally deleting an entry):
  1. Black Panther - was very good social commentary, but didn't adore it. Not really sure it belongs as an Oscar best pic nom
  2. Deadpool 2 - was hilarious. Not quite as strong as the first, but was still very funny.
  3. Ready Player One - not a great movie, but I didn't expect it to be.
  4. The Incredibles 2 - enjoyed it, bought it for the kids. Not as good as the first one, but it would be hard to be.
  5. Aquaman - was fine as a movie, much better as eye candy.
  6. Mary Poppins Returns - was adorable.
  7. Ralph Breaks the Internet - we liked it. Like Incredibles 2, it had a pretty high bar to meet in its predecessor that it didn't quite match, but was good.
This was probably one of my favorite movies last year. I thought the CGI was incredible. While the story was pretty different from the book, I thought they did an excellent job with it. It was a movie I could watch over and over and over again and not have to use my brain.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Of the Best Picture Nominees:
Bohemian Rhapsody - I'm torn on seeing this movie. I love Queen and I've heard mixed reactions.
The Favourite - Haven't seen it yet.
Black Panther - Why is this up for best picture? It was a fun movie. Had a great message. I'm happy a culturally diverse cast could make a box office hit...but the movie itself was not great.
BlacKkKlansman - My pick for Best Picture. Denzel's son was awesome. Adam Driver was incredible. The story, while incredibly embellished, had me from the opening scene.
Green Book - Haven't seen it yet.
Vice - Christian Bale's dedication to his character is incredible.
A Star is Born - I adored this movie. I thought the chemistry between Gaga and Cooper was awesome. If Lady Gaga sang more songs like she did at the beginning of the film, I'd buy every one of her albums.
Roma - Dear God this was so damn boring. Why is he doing martial arts naked? Why is his junk leading the race for Best Actor? Why did I watch this entire movie? The ending was haunting and devastating.

Reactions: Angie

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
Loved::
A Quiet Place
A Star is Born
Avengers: Infinity War

Liked:
Bohemian Rhapsody
Deadpool 2
Bad Times at the El Royale
Annihilation

Just OK:
Black Panther

Disliked:
Solo: A Star Wars Story
Vice

Agree with most of the posters that Black Panther was not that great of a movie. The Han Solo movie I really did not like, pretty much a completely unnecessary movie. Vice tried too hard to be a funny artsy take on **** Cheney and I didn't really care for it.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Bohemian Rhapsody - I'm torn on seeing this movie. I love Queen and I've heard mixed reactions.
Black Panther - Why is this up for best picture? It was a fun movie. Had a great message. I'm happy a culturally diverse cast could make a box office hit...but the movie itself was not great.
BlacKkKlansman - My pick for Best Picture. Denzel's son was awesome. Adam Driver was incredible. The story, while incredibly embellished, had me from the opening scene.
A Star is Born - I adored this movie. I thought the chemistry between Gaga and Cooper was awesome. If Lady Gaga sang more songs like she did at the beginning of the film, I'd buy every one of her albums.
Roma - Dear God this was so damn boring. Why is he doing martial arts naked? Why is his junk leading the race for Best Actor? Why did I watch this entire movie? The ending was haunting and devastating.
I agree with everything you said about Black Panther. It seems that those who vote for these awards are so hung up on sending a message that they are ignoring the quality of the actual movie for which they are voting. It is a good superhero flick with a message. It isn't best picture material by any stretch of the imagination though.

• Agree
Reactions: KKramer

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Loved::
A Quiet Place
A Star is Born
Avengers: Infinity War

Liked:
Bohemian Rhapsody
Deadpool 2
Bad Times at the El Royale
Annihilation

Just OK:
Black Panther

Disliked:
Solo: A Star Wars Story

Agree with most of the posters that Black Panther was not that great of a movie. The Han Solo movie I really did not like, pretty much a completely unnecessary movie.
I just saw Solo last weekend. I'm a pretty fair Star Wars fan but I wasn't enamored with this one either.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I agree with everything you said about Black Panther. It seems that those who vote for these awards are so hung up on sending a message that they are ignoring the quality of the actual movie for which they are voting. It is a good superhero flick with a message. It isn't best picture material by any stretch of the imagination though.
I think the list is pretty indicative of the quality of movies in 2018. Not great. Half of these movies wouldn't sniff Best Picture on any given year.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis

Bohemian is good. But I honestly have no idea why it's up for Best Picture and REALLY no clue why Malek is the frontrunner to win Best Actor. He's very good. But he lip syncs the whole time. Give me what Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper did in their movies over Malek any day.

The Favourite I really wanted to love. But I honestly kind of hated it. The ending pissed me off.

Black Panther is great.

BlackKklansman is great.

Green Book is great but again not sure why it's up for Best Picture. It honestly reminds me of an updated Driving Miss Daisy.

Vice I absolutely loved. I get why people hate it but I loved it.

A Star is Born is great.

Roma I couldn't even finish.

Reactions: Cybyassociation

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Bohemian is good. But I honestly have no idea why it's up for Best Picture and REALLY no clue why Malek is the frontrunner to win Best Actor. He's very good. But he lip syncs the whole time. Give me what Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper did in their movies over Malek any day.

The Favourite I really wanted to love. But I honestly kind of hated it. The ending pissed me off.

Black Panther is great.

BlackKklansman is great.

Green Book is great but again not sure why it's up for Best Picture. It honestly reminds me of an updated Driving Miss Daisy.

A Star is Born is great.

You at least got to the naked karate, right? If you got that far, you saw enough.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I just saw Solo last weekend. I'm a pretty fair Star Wars fan but I wasn't enamored with this one either.

Yeah, I just caught it last weekend too. It was...I don't know, fine? It wasn't a train wreck that people thought it might be during production, but it wasn't all that memorable either.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

Now I'm not surprised by this, as comic books have always been marketed to white males more than anyone else, so that's who all the main characters are and who in turn gets movies made about them.

Let me put it in a sports analogy that all of us ISU fans might be able to understand.
We love ISU football, and we enjoy watching our players play in the NFL, but we've never had that superstar NFL player come from ISU, just supporting characters.
Now, lets say Brock Purdy does great things at ISU and gets drafted in the first round in a few years. He goes to the NFL and lights it up and ends up being the Super Bowl MVP. Everyone football fan in the world is finally watching a former Iowa State player as the star on the biggest stage in football.

Imagine how ISU fans would feel if that were to happen. We are a huge minority as far as alumni we can root for in the NFL.

Now, imagine there were approximately 47.4 million ISU fans in this country and we had never seen one of our own win a super bowl. How would we feel about that? Would that be a pretty big deal?

Black Panther wasn't the best super hero movie ever, but it was a very good movie and it is a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Agreed. Here's hoping we eventually reach a point to where diversity is commonplace enough that it's no longer an issue.

To add to the topic - "Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse" featured Miles Morales as the protagonist and it was a really solid movie, IMO.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Black Panther is great.

BlackKklansman is great.

A Star is Born is great.

That's how we felt at first. But we decided to hang in with it and, in the end... wish we would've turned it off earlier too.

Nicely filmed, visually stunning in places, but that's all it had going for it.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I may have missed some this, but I am surprised nobody mentioned "The Mule" as one of their favorites. Old Clint plays a pretty good bad ass in this.

I list Incredibles 2 as one of my top five or six. I went on a Saturday afternoon at 4 and don't know what the hell I was thinking. Parents brought their really young kids to the show -- I am talking as three, four and five year-olds. While I don't have an issue with parents taking their children to the movies, this movie was not made for them. After one particularly intense scene, the four-year-old behind me said, "Mommy I want to go home. I am scared."

I have Darkest Hour in my top five, as well as First Man. Avengers Infinity War probably tops the list. I then have Wonder Woman and Black Panther rounding out my top six movies.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Agreed -- Black Panther was about as generic of a superhero film as one can make. I enjoyed it as a good popcorn flick, its cast had lots of charm, but it was a good version of a trope by this point. You can set your watch to the typical Marvel story beats by this point.

The only other one that I saw was The Favourite. It wins by default in a weak year.

None of the other really interested me except for maybe Roma, which I was going to probably watch this Sunday before the Super Bowl really gears up.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Agreed -- Black Panther was about as generic of a superhero film as one can make. I enjoyed it as a good popcorn flick, its cast had lots of charm, but it was a good version of a trope by this point. You can set your watch to the typical Marvel story beats by this point.

The only other one that I saw was The Favourite. It wins by default in a weak year.

None of the other really interested me except for maybe Roma, which I was going to probably watch this Sunday before the Super Bowl really gears up.
If anything is going to get you pumped up for the Super Bowl, it's Roma.

• Funny
Reactions: Triggermv