Favorite Movies of 2018

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
agreed. It is info overload and for me, it didn't help that I hadn't watched the last Thor movie first. The 2nd time I was able to relax a little more and enjoy the ride....while catching several things lost on me the first time.
It probably didn't help me that I haven't seen any Thor movies, GOTG 2, the third Iron Man movie, Black Panther or Dr. Strange.

• Agree
Reactions: capitalcityguy

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Not a big movie buff but I saw a handful.

Liked:
Black Panther
Mission Iimpossible: Fallout
A Quiet Place
Red Sparrow
Bird Box

Decent:
Deadpool 2
Incredibles 2

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I've seen only these. This is how I would order them:
  1. Molly's Game
  2. Avengers: Infinity War
  3. To All The Boys I've Loved Before (Netflix Original)
  4. Ready Player One
  5. The Incredibles 2
  6. Black Panther
  7. Teen Titans Go! to the Movies
@Triggermv How have you seen that many movies?!

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Leave No Trace
First Reformed
Blackkklansman
A Star is Born
A Quiet Place
Tully
Game Night
A Simple Favor
Bad Times at the El Royale
Identical Strangers

There are still a ton I am waiting to see though. Next up on my list are Roma and Cold War.

Reactions: dahliaclone

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I've seen only these. This is how I would order them:
  1. Molly's Game
  2. Avengers: Infinity War
  3. To All The Boys I've Loved Before (Netflix Original)
  4. Ready Player One
  5. The Incredibles 2
  6. Black Panther
  7. Teen Titans Go! to the Movies
@Triggermv How have you seen that many movies?!

Yeah, I sure have. I've always loved movies ever since I was a kid. It helps my cause that my wife falls asleep pretty much at 9 pm (we have kids), which gives me plenty of time to hammer out a quick movie before I fall asleep. It is also no secret I'm a major comic-book movie nerd as can be witnessed by my Marvel and DC threads on here. However, I don't limit myself to that genre as I do like all kinds of movies. Shoot, I just confessed to being a closet chick-flick fan.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Sorry to Bother You was great. So strange, but was to be expected. I think Lakeith Stanfield is a top notch actor

Agreed. It's amazing how much talent is packed into the Atlanta cast. IIRC Donald Glover was the first choice for the lead role in the movie but he had to pass and he recommended Stanfield.
Loved David Cross and Patton Oswalt in it, too.
Took me about 3/4 of the movie to figure out who was providing the voice talent.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I didn't see many movies last year, but did really like A Quiet Place and Hereditary.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I just watched Mowgli (Netflix Original) and actually really kind of liked it. While I still probably like Disney's live-action Jungle Book a little better, I still really like what Netflix and Warner Bros did with theirs. It still had the same DNA, but they did ultimately go in a different direction with it, which was cool. As for visual effects, the Disney one definitely wins out, which is somewhat surprising when you realize that Andy Serkeis directed the Netflix one. With that said, I've added it now to my list.

L

LincolnWay187

Man I just don't get the black panther hype..it was okay maybe slightly above average film.

Another poster mentioned the social commentary, did we see the same movie? Super hero movie about a city in Africa with superior tech and their leader? How the eff is this up for best picture?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Man I just don't get the black panther hype..it was okay maybe slightly above average film.

Another poster mentioned the social commentary, did we see the same movie? Super hero movie about a city in Africa with superior tech and their leader? How the eff is this up for best picture?

Totally agree. My kids loved it, and I thought it was just ok. Terrible CGI movie without that great of a story either.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

Agreed. The "social commentary" makes no sense...this is made up stuff people!

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
While still not my favorite MCU movie, I did enjoy Black Panther more after the second viewing. However, I still also really struggle to get over the absolutely atrocious CGI of that movie, particularly in the last fight sequence. Its VFX in that thing really was a mess.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Agreed. The "social commentary" makes no sense...this is made up stuff people!

I think it was a bigger deal because it was a minority super hero on center stage, not just a secondary character. There are a lot of people who took pride in that and felt good about being represented in that kind of blockbuster movie.

It helps that the movie was very popular and had a lot of focus put upon it.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I mean, I'm white but I still get it.
I heard multiple stories about African American parents being in tears because of how happy their child was because there was a super hero who looked like them as the sole focus of a blockbuster Marvel movie.

That made me think about how there aren't a lot of positive portrayals of minorities in movies, period. Much less super heroes who save the day.

I'm trying to think right now of what blockbuster movies minority children could watch today that would portray their ethnicity in that kind of positive light. The new Star Wars movies have Finn and Rose playing bigger parts, but they aren't featured like Rey is. And I know there were white people making stupid comments about token minorities being added to the movie for no reason.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Off the top of my head - Top 12 (super hero movies excluded):
Roma
Isle of Dogs
The Green Book
Bisbee '17
Sorry to Bother You
Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Won't you be my Neighbor
They Shall Not Grow Old
First Reformed
BlacKkKlansman
At Eternity's Gate
Free Solo

still have not seen VICE or Into the Spiderverse but imagine those will be on this list somewhere once I do