Favorite ISU FB Game You Saw in Person

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Sigh, do I really need to use :jimlad: to let you guys know I'm kidding? :confused:

Well DUH! :biglaugh:

For me it's definitely the 2005 Colorado Cyclone game. Nothing could beat that day... my parents in town, the weather, the electricity in the stadium, the huge plays, and the Cyclone win!

isunomad

Aug 31, 2007
Des Moines, IA
1A--2002 @ Iowa Such a satisfying win

1B--2002 Texas Tech I remember thinking immediately after "The Run" that Seneca was going to win the Heisman

wright4cy

Jan 15, 2007
Boone
They are all awesome !! But I was on the sidelines with a press pass when we beat T.T . I was in heaven watching Seneca that day!!The Run ! But 23 - 3 Was sweet too Iowa win... Tornado game was electric colorado win ..Nebraska win at home was awesome and fun... OOOh I love them all !!!

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
What's depressing, for me, is I had a huge gap between my college days and the recent decade, when I didn't see any games at the Jack. And my college years were during the Criner regime, which, of course, you know what that means. It'd be easier to list my least-favorite games.

But anyway.

Unfortunately, a couple of games in my top 5 were losses, but exciting. Sad, I know.

1. 2005, Oklahoma State, W 37-10. Only modern-day ISU game I attended when we completely dominated (I also went to the gawdawful A&M game in '04 and the even-worse Texas game in '07, so I guess it wouldn't take much). Crappy weather that day, though.

2. 1984, Oklahoma, L 12-10. Sat on the southeast hill, mixed in with some OU fans. Highlight, second half, a Sooner fan proclaimed, loudly, "I can't believe we're losing to IOWA STATE!" I just wish we had finished the job. :no:

3. 2008, Kansas, L 35-33. The first half was unbelievable. I had a bad feeling about the other shoe dropping (too long as an ISU fan, I guess). And I was right (sorry that I jinxed that game :no:) Second half was a slow, methodical mess, but still, the ending was thrilling. I don't celebrate losses, but it was encouraging enough that I thought the rest of the season would shape up better than expected after so many missed chances. I was horribly wrong. (I know, you're probably spotting a trend. I promise to never go to an ISU game again :jimlad:)

4. 1986, KSU, W 48-19. Probably the high point of the Criner era, or maybe not. Sure, KSU was awful during those years, but I got to see so few Big 8 wins during that time, it was fun to watch a beatdown. "Hey, they suck more than us!" :yes:

5. 1983, KU, W 38-35. To be honest, I don't remember ANY details about this game. But I do remember it being one of the most raucous days at Jack Trice, which back then was still called Iowa State Stadium and looked like a parking lot with stadium seating. And it came a week after watching one of the most depressing losses, to New Mexico Freaking State.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
Without question - 2002 @ Iowa. The first half was miserable. The second half was the exact opposite.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Addition to my original post: I somehow forgot two other reasons the OU game was so memorable.

1. The game was on ESPN (back then, that was a hee-uge deal). Being present at an ESPN-telecast game created extra buzz.

2. It was a night game — they had to install temporary stadium lights for the occasion. If I recall, it was the first night game in Iowa State history, or at least at the now-Jack. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
Mine was probably 2002 vs nebraska. I had been to pretty much every beat down in Ames since the early 80's. The only home game vs nu I had missed in that time period was in 1992. :confused:

I just remember looking at the scoreboard about 1000 times in the 2nd half, not believing what I was seeing. We were hitting so hard that game and just swarming the ball from beginning to end.

A couple of honorable mention games would be 2000 in Stillwater. Big game that ended up clinching a bowl game, I believe. Michael Wagner filled in for Ennis and ran wild. The 2005 iowa game was a thing of beauty, particularly when Hicks had the pick 6 to pretty much seal the deal. And Dobbins tossing Tate like a rag doll for a sack...

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I'm probably the only sorry sap that will mention it, but I liked 1997 Baylor - it was the first win I saw as an ISU fan/student, it ended the nation's longest losing streak, and it's the last time I remember Jack Trice Stadium's goalposts being tossed into Lake LaVerne (shortly after that they were made permanent "unremovable" structures).

My favorites that I attended, however, are 2002 Texas Tech (The Run) and 2002 Nebraska. And while I wasn't AT the 2002 Iowa game, I was at a house party across the street from Kinnick. It's amazing how for the first half Iowa City was completely rocking, and then after halftime it just got quieter and quieter, until the end of the game.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Can't remember the exact year, early to mid 1980's. Okie State was ranked, and I believe had Thurman Thomas. It was snowing/sleeting horizontally, but my boda bag of JD kept me pretty warm. 92 Nebraska was another great one.

BleedCycloneRed

Sep 1, 2009
Chicago, IL
1976 The Cyclones whipped Nebraska 37-28. The game featured the top 2 ranked offenses in the country. Nebraska did not come into this game expecting a cakewalk, they came to play. First half was close. 2nd half the Cyclones took them to the woodshed. It was 37-21 before Nebraska ran a trick play on a kickoff to score and make the score closer than the game. Nebraska had no excuse about not preparing, etc. They got outplayed by a better team. Not often the Cyclones can say that, but the 1976 team could. Hoping the same for the 2010 team.:biggrin:

RandomFan

Aug 11, 2009
2000 Insight bowl.
2002 Iowa
2002 TTech
2002 FSU

Fall of '02 was my last semester of college. Lots of memorable games that season.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm going to go with the first bowl win against Pitt in the 2000 Insight.com Bowl. We drove to that that game which was a 28 hour non-stop drive. Kept rotating drivers and taking turns sleeping, the whole trip was a blast.

MB4CY

Aug 29, 2009
Norwalk, IA
Like a broken record, here's another post that says 2002 Texas Tech and 2005 Colorado. I think I'd rank the Colorado game first though, because I felt good all the way back to the car. After I watched us play Tech, I remember walking out with a sinking feeling that ISU's AP ranking was a little too optimistic. Unfortunately, Oklahoma didn't need long to back up that fear.