Fans In the Stands and in the Tailgating Lots

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
Yes. 2008. It's weird but there seems to be a connection between consumption of alcohol and being a douche.

Somewhere Andy Brodell is still running with no one in sight.
I'm sure there definitely have been a fair share of our fans being idiots in IC. That said, there are a lot less Cyclones who go to IC versus Hawk fans who come to Ames and I think that does have to do with the hostility just by wearing school colors on each others' campus

• Agree
Reactions: 1776 and BCClone

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
This is the best and worst tailgate of the year. Best because you can more of your friend group together. Worst because of all the douchebags that ruin fun for everyone. The people who have their personality based on sports teams results are incredible to me.

When murph and Andy were talking about the people that don’t like this game need to get off Twitter I was pissed. For me it’s all about fan behavior in and around the stadium. It’s appalling.

• Winner
Reactions: carvers4math

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
We have had season tix for 20 or so years. Yesterday was the first time in a long time during an Iowa game there was nothing but civility and good sportsmanship in our area. Had at least 6-8 hack fans in our row. A nice surprise to be honest.
Same in our section, outside of the lone Clone fan that always wants to argue with me. This time was on one of the questionable PI calls (or no calls), I was like "same team, buddy..."

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
One more last, if a Iowa fan sees me on the road or a vacation in Cyclone gear. I DO NOT NEED YOU TO COME UP TO ME AND SAY GO HAWKS. As you could tell by my Cyclone Gear, Go Hawks is not coming out of my mouth....

Nothing like a well timed throat punch to put a stop to that.

Reactions: carvers4math

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Nothing like a well timed throat punch to put a stop to that.
Walking to the game and waiting to cross University Ave. a bunch of hawk fans were doing the I-O-W-A chant. When it was over, I shouted, “Great Job! You guys can actually spell a word!” Clones fans got a big chuckle out of it. Guy next to me goes “that was a good one!”

Last edited:

TrailCy

Mar 3, 2021
Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but this was probably the most civil Cyhawk tailgate I've ever been to; I think this was number 10 or 11.

Several hawks in my section but none of them screaming profanity. They still don't know how to spell words with more than four letters, but that's to be expected. They were also doing the wave at the end of the first quarter which seemed really strange. I get they're creatures of habit...

• Agree
Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
A family member witnessed this along frat row during the game. In one frat on the second floor, they threw out a metal bed backboard on to the street. Could have killed someone or severely damaged some car. A guy saw this and moved it to their front yard. A couple of frat boys drunk yelled for him and my family member to move it back and then come up and they would beat the crap out of him. The guy on the street, who by this time had four or five people standing next to him, said I have a better idea. Why don’t you frat boys come down here and we‘ll beat the crap out of you. Keep in mind these are all guys over six feet 250 pounds and my family member who has a black belt. The frat boys even though they were drunk, decided they wouldn’t win that fight and settled down and came down and picked up the backboard and moved it back inside, with their tails between their legs.

Reactions: cycloner29

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
The stupid yelling go hawks in a cyclone fan' face for just wearing a shirt truly shows who puts their whole being into the one game.
It's just freaking rude - antisocial behavior.

Like, would you go out of your way to insult someone in public based on their sports team? Their political party? Their hair color? Some cause they support? Who does this?

Obnoxious a$$holes, that's who...

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I had no issues this year and actually had more interaction with random Iowa fans than probably any other year, and it was all positive. That said, I always feel an undercurrent of tension at this game, like something *could* happen at any minute. CW and Brent alluded to this on the podcast, but Iowa fans come in and act like they own the place, as opposed to being a guest in someone's home. And it's more than just the sheer numbers, it's the arrogant sense of entitlement.

My thought on Saturday, as I pulled in to park after two hours counting every crack in the pavement on Highway 30 between Duff and University, was that this might be my last CyHawk game. Dealing with Iowa fans, the extra people and hassle, the inept traffic management, and Campbell's record in this game all add up to make something of a grind out of what should be a pretty fun day.

I'll set a reminder to revisit this post in a month and see if I still feel the same way.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
The stupid yelling go hawks in a cyclone fan' face for just wearing a shirt truly shows who puts their whole being into the one game.
They harassed one of my kids when he was 12 and wearing a red jacket from his middle school. It was early morning on a Saturday entering a building on their campus for a math contest and they were yelling profanities about “clowns.”

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: t-noah and MJ29

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I had no issues this year and actually had more interaction with random Iowa fans than probably any other year, and it was all positive. That said, I always feel an undercurrent of tension at this game, like something *could* happen at any minute. CW and Brent alluded to this on the podcast, but Iowa fans come in and act like they own the place, as opposed to being a guest in someone's home. And it's more than just the sheer numbers, it's the arrogant sense of entitlement.

My thought on Saturday, as I pulled in to park after two hours counting every crack in the pavement on Highway 30 between Duff and University, was that this might be my last CyHawk game. Dealing with Iowa fans, the extra people and hassle, the inept traffic management, and Campbell's record in this game all add up to make something of a grind out of what should be a pretty fun day.

I'll set a reminder to revisit this post in a month and see if I still feel the same way.

My wife gets a lot of enjoyment out of this but I could happily never go to this game again. I absolutely hate it.

May 7, 2020
It's just freaking rude - antisocial behavior.

Like, would you go out of your way to insult someone in public based on their sports team? Their political party? Their hair color? Some cause they support? Who does this?

Obnoxious a$$holes, that's who...
I have been in Texas for awhile now and have had numerous pleasant conversations with ISU fans by initiating the conversation with a Go Hawks. It has always been met with a smile and something along the lines of "oh you are one of those". Time permitting we have a brief conversation about our ties to Iowa and go about our day.

And I have had ISU fans initiate conversations with me by giving me a "hard" time about the Iowa hat I was wearing. It has always been good natured and said with a smile.

• Creative
Reactions: NWICY

cycloneted

Apr 19, 2006
Des Moines
psycho-happy-gilmore.gif

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm as big of a hawk hater as anyone but I have to be honest. We have a big tailgate and even bigger for the Cy-Hawk as a lot of friends come who are iowa fans as well. Everyone was respectful before and after the game.

We needed a ticket for my son so he used my ticket and I sat with my hawk buddy in his visitor section seats. I never had a single issue and talked a lot about the game, JTS and other stuff with the big hawk fan next to me who I had never met before. Didn't have anyone talk smack to me or get upset when I stood up and cheered - which I do a lot.

I have had problems with hawk fans at Kinnick and JTS before but I didn't have any Saturday.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron