Facility Upgrades

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
The current facility was just pure football. It wasn't build and designed around having people there for anything but football. This is the next time set that happening. Create facilities where the team will be together and hangout after practice, lifting, and seeing the training staff. The plans as they are look great. Creating a better plaza where its not a mess to leave games afterwards will be a better fan experience. With the plaza it sets up some great stadium shots for the networks to show during games. Think of a drone hovering over the plaza and then lifting up, stadium lights on, crowd jacked, and it flies forward and over the NEZ video board. That will be a cool site. After this, if Pollard wants to redo the press box then go for it. I don't see the NEZ getting bowled in at any time.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
The current facility was just pure football. It wasn't build and designed around having people there for anything but football. This is the next time set that happening. Create facilities where the team will be together and hangout after practice, lifting, and seeing the training staff. The plans as they are look great. Creating a better plaza where its not a mess to leave games afterwards will be a better fan experience. With the plaza it sets up some great stadium shots for the networks to show during games. Think of a drone hovering over the plaza and then lifting up, stadium lights on, crowd jacked, and it flies forward and over the NEZ video board. That will be a cool site. After this, if Pollard wants to redo the press box then go for it. I don't see the NEZ getting bowled in at any time.
I do see a bowling in of the balcony in the NEZ but nothing immediate. Ticket sales are already crisp for next year and will be even greater the following year given the home slate. IF, and it is only an if, ISU can have an average of over 60k in successive years, that becomes possible.

How many seats would be included in adding an upper deck similar to the SEZ? The upper level seating in the SEZ is 5,800 seats. Given the sharp curve of the NEZ, that number is likely a bit smaller at 5,500 or 5,300. Let's go 5,400 and that raises capacity to 66,900.

One day, it is not a stretch to imagine something like that

Reactions: DBQR4CY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I do see a bowling in of the balcony in the NEZ but nothing immediate. Ticket sales are already crisp for next year and will be even greater the following year given the home slate. IF, and it is only an if, ISU can have an average of over 60k in successive years, that becomes possible.

How many seats would be included in adding an upper deck similar to the SEZ? The upper level seating in the SEZ is 5,800 seats. Given the sharp curve of the NEZ, that number is likely a bit smaller at 5,500 or 5,300. Let's go 5,400 and that raises capacity to 66,900.

One day, it is not a stretch to imagine something like that

Those are not considered high value seats. I don’t know if Jamie would touch a NEZ for awhile. I think he will do what is happening in Hilton, and get the seats pushed up in demand and then then add suites or premium seats somewhere.

If Mmb returns to form next year and we avoid years like this one, Hilton will be what needs to be addressed.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Those are not considered high value seats. I don’t know if Jamie would touch a NEZ for awhile. I think he will do what is happening in Hilton, and get the seats pushed up in demand and then then add suites or premium seats somewhere.

If Mmb returns to form next year and we avoid years like this one, Hilton will be what needs to be addressed.
I hear you on that for sure. That said, I am not sure that there is or will be much demand for high value- maybe there is and I don't know it. If there is, I doubt you can get away with putting high value seating in another end zone- you can't fool people with the same trick 2x. An increase in high end seating would almost have to end with increased sky suites, wouldn't it? Hypothetically, would you choose high end seats or if you had much demand for $175 seats (Cyclone fans are cheap) do you build to your consumers? I don't have any idea, probably why I am an AD.

Not much left to be done in Hilton w/o investing 30-50 million or more to install suites on the inner concourse. That would mean the old smoking decks become part of the outer concourse and likely concession areas. The old concessions become balcony exits where stairs are redirected to as those stairs currently dump into inner concourse. Then you would have to move some utilities, would be incredibly expensive to do all of that. That said, I would love to be rid of the inner concourse crowd from the under 8 TO in the 2nd half of games. Could possibly get attendance to 15,000 if demand were there and those would be high end seats. Had Fred remained, I think we would already be having that discussion as people really responded to the program unlike anything since Johnny arrived. Not a slight on Prohm, TF or LE, it was just a rare time when everything aligned.

At the end of the day, I know nothing about this stuff. Just spitballing

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Are there any better pics? You think an Engineering school could have produced a lot better real like pics.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
The main reason i could see people being disappointed is that there was talk of a multi-story building placed in the north end.

That being said, most of this is outside of the stadium's footprint, and thankfully doesn't put another major item in the way if someday we want to knock down the jake and video board and have the north end mirror the south.
Status quo, do nothing costs a lot more $$$ than it used to.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Notes: I am not going to say all the details because it's not my place, but this facility is going to be AMAZING. The more detailed drawings of the inside and outside will blow people's minds. With that being said here are some answers to questions for concerns noted in this thread:

1. There will still be a walkway from the north around the westside of the stadium so there will be no issues there.
2. Visitor and Official locker rooms will move to the basement of the Jacobson, currently JT facilities and maintenance are located there.
3. The hills sides will remain. Dirt will be brought in to help more "bowl" the hillsides. This will give better sightlines to parts of the hillsides.
5. The Academic Center will be more than twice the size of the one currently located on campus. This will be for all sports. The other benefit of this being at the football complex is now football guys can be at the football complex for everything except class and sleeping.
6. A Sports Nutrition Center will also be part of this. This will once again be for all sports, however football will have its own cafeteria connected to the locker room. Currently they have to have HyVee cater in meals so this will eliminate that and will have their own crew to cook.
7. The Olympic Building will be offices, weight rooms, batting cages, etc. for sports like soccer, softball, etc.
8. The plan is to get this started really soon (I don't want to say the specific time frame to get everyone's hopes up just in case), but it will come to fruition.
9. One of Campbell's biggest things was to get a Sports Performance Center, so that is really what this upgrade is doing.
10. Permanent bleachers will be brought in for the band.
Ok, Good. I thought for a moment, the fans and the band were getting nothing.

• Funny
Reactions: k123

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Notes: I am not going to say all the details because it's not my place, but this facility is going to be AMAZING. The more detailed drawings of the inside and outside will blow people's minds. With that being said here are some answers to questions for concerns noted in this thread:

1. There will still be a walkway from the north around the westside of the stadium so there will be no issues there.
2. Visitor and Official locker rooms will move to the basement of the Jacobson, currently JT facilities and maintenance are located there.
3. The hills sides will remain. Dirt will be brought in to help more "bowl" the hillsides. This will give better sightlines to parts of the hillsides.
5. The Academic Center will be more than twice the size of the one currently located on campus. This will be for all sports. The other benefit of this being at the football complex is now football guys can be at the football complex for everything except class and sleeping.
6. A Sports Nutrition Center will also be part of this. This will once again be for all sports, however football will have its own cafeteria connected to the locker room. Currently they have to have HyVee cater in meals so this will eliminate that and will have their own crew to cook.
7. The Olympic Building will be offices, weight rooms, batting cages, etc. for sports like soccer, softball, etc.
8. The plan is to get this started really soon (I don't want to say the specific time frame to get everyone's hopes up just in case), but it will come to fruition.
9. One of Campbell's biggest things was to get a Sports Performance Center, so that is really what this upgrade is doing.
10. Permanent bleachers will be brought in for the band.

That's an awesome post. Thanks! From looking at the initial design:

capture-jpg.54519

I would say that the orange area is the academic/nutrition area. The oval red is probably the new locker room, which would make sense if they have their dining area attached. Green area is Olympic sports and that is likely a small parking lot on the back side of it so that those coaches/athletes don't have to walk through the IPF for training.

Here are my questions:
1. It looks like they are adding a second level to the south end of the "triangle" of the Bergstrom FOF. What goes in there?
2.The "L" shaped red area outside the weight room...what is that? A hallway? I'm guessing a new entrance and a way to get into the IPF without walking through the FB facility?
3. If the Facilities crew is getting moved out of the Jacobson, where are they going? They would need an area with easy access to the field where they can drive mowers, etc.
4. Where does the ticket office go?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
That's an awesome post. Thanks! From looking at the initial design:

capture-jpg.54519

I would say that the orange area is the academic/nutrition area. Yes - 2 levels The oval red is probably the new locker room, which would make sense if they have their dining area attached. Correct Green area is Olympic sports and that is likely a small parking lot on the back side of it so that those coaches/athletes don't have to walk through the IPF for training. I think that is an outside training surface for Olympic sports

Here are my questions:
1. It looks like they are adding a second level to the south end of the "triangle" of the Bergstrom FOF. What goes in there? Additional FB coaches offices and support staff. The staff is considerably larger now than it was when the facility was built.
2.The "L" shaped red area outside the weight room...what is that? A hallway? I'm guessing a new entrance and a way to get into the IPF without walking through the FB facility? Yes like a hallway atrium thing
3. If the Facilities crew is getting moved out of the Jacobson, where are they going? They would need an area with easy access to the field where they can drive mowers, etc. I believe they are part of the lower level of the "triangle" referenced in item one.
4. Where does the ticket office go? Lower level east side of the orange

see bolded above

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
what is the eli horn memorial tree??

Eli Horn was a boy with cancer that the team kind of adopted and visited often. It even ended up that he was in NYC getting treatment when they were there for the Pinstripe bowl. Not too long after that he passed away and they planted a memorial tree outside the stadium for him.

I recently realized that his family moved to the CR area and goes to our church.

http://www.elihorn.com/blog/about/

Edit: I believe Ben Lamaak named his son after Eli.