Fab Five Documentary

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
Here's a tip: do a google search. Apparently, there are columnists -who are black - and critical of Rose's comments, that "don't get it" either...

Here's a tip: think for yourself. Listen to the man's words and make your own judgement instead of leaning on someone else's.

He said that was how he thought about Duke going into the game. That was his mindset as a kid who grew up in the Detroit ghettos, seeing guys like Hill at Duke. "Duke didn't recruit guys like me." That was his perception as a young basketball player. You've watched it twice, you should have heard him using past tense verbs. "I thought", "I hated". Never did he insinuate he felt the same way now.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
His criticism of Duke was when he was 18 years old and was his description of what he thought about Duke at the time. He later gives them compliments for the way they played the game. Great story, too bad Webber declined to be on it, would have been interesting to hear his side of the Ed Martin stuff.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
Here's a tip: think for yourself. Listen to the man's words and make your own judgement instead of leaning on someone else's.

He said that was how he thought about Duke going into the game. That was his mindset as a kid who grew up in the Detroit ghettos, seeing guys like Hill at Duke. "Duke didn't recruit guys like me." That was his perception as a young basketball player. You've watched it twice, you should have heard him using past tense verbs. "I thought", "I hated". Never did he insinuate he felt the same way now.

I would say this is STILL a fair assessment of Duke.

I thought the best quote was calling Latener a B ***h.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Rose said that however, Muhammed Ali made a spectacle about the same thing calling Frazier that over and over. Yet everyone loves Ali and people are trying to say Jalen is a bad guy for saying it. Rose was making a point about two situations while Ali was trying to embarrass someone. I understand what Rose said and what he meant by it.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006

His assessment of Duke may be correct but his verbage is poor and demonstrates the hate that is apparent in this country. He basically says he hates Duke because they recruit kids that grew up in families that were middle class or better.

It is class warfare at it's best racist at worse. The use of the term "Uncle Tom" is just flat out ridiculous. He may have chanegd his tune but it doesn't change the fact that he said it. I wonder how he would feel about someone calling his kids "Uncle Tom's?" In the end, just because he was younger when he said it, doesn't make it right.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Thought this was a great documentary. Very well done. Especially the part about what happened immediately after Webber called timeout. The footage of him walking down the tunnel after the game was pretty painful to watch.

As for Rose's comments about Duke's recruiting practices, I think they were honest and accurate. Duke does recruit a certain kind of player, and they only changed this when they felt like the program was slipping in the mid to late 90's and started going after guys like William Avery and Corey Maggette.

The somewhat ironic part is that Rose's comments apply to Webber. He is exactly the kind of player Duke goes after. Webber came from a middle class, two parent home, he even went to the same high school as Shane Battier.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
Thought this was a great documentary. Very well done. Especially the part about what happened immediately after Webber called timeout. The footage of him walking down the tunnel after the game was pretty painful to watch.

From a production stand point, this was amazing. You could actually feel what he was going through. Very painful to watch. Although, he traveled way before the infamous timeout. How do three refs miss a guy taking two steps before dribbling?!

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Rose said that however, Muhammed Ali made a spectacle about the same thing calling Frazier that over and over. Yet everyone loves Ali and people are trying to say Jalen is a bad guy for saying it. Rose was making a point about two situations while Ali was trying to embarrass someone. I understand what Rose said and what he meant by it.
Who said he was a bad guy? I think some are pointing out that what he said is a very, very poor choice of words that displays hate. The guy has obviously grown up.
And just because Ali said it doesn't make it right. Of course, Ali said it 25 years prior when times were different but it still doesn't make it right.

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
I realize there's a 99.9% percent chance it didn't happen this way, but the conspiracy theorist in me has always wondered if Webber intentionally threw the game. First he blatantly traveled, then less than five seconds later called a timeout when they didn't have any left. With all the shady stuff that was allegedly happening up there at the time, who knows. Stranger things have happened.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
I realize there's a 99.9% percent chance it didn't happen this way, but the conspiracy theorist in me has always wondered if Webber intentionally threw the game. First he blatantly traveled, then less than five seconds later called a timeout when they didn't have any left. With all the shady stuff that was allegedly happening up there at the time, who knows. Stranger things have happened.

I've thought the same thing since Ed Martin was connected to illegal gambling and financed Webber.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011

If this were true, he went into the wrong profession. That would have been an oscar award winning act of the emotions he showed right after it happened and then him after the game

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
I couldn't stand the Fab Five. I didn't like their trash talking and their posing for the cameras and their baggy shorts - I still think that basketball players with shorts below their knees look silly (I'm old) and I blame them. I rooted for the other team everytime they played. When C. Webber called that time out, I remember getting this huge sense of satisfaction. In my mind, there was nobody in the sports world that needed a dose of humility more than the Fab Five and they had just gotten a HUGE dose of it.

They were unbelievably talented. How many college teams can claim to have had three guys that all lasted more than thirteen years in the NBA?

This documentary showed the human side of these guys and I enjoyed it. My opinion of them has mellowed somewhat because of it.

jammons4

Jun 4, 2006
Parkersburg, IA
I was impressed with Rose's honesty. He made it very clear that the coaches told the team they were out of timeouts when they used their last one. He was also very critical of what Webber said about Ed Martin once everything came out. Both of these things "called out" his friend Webber, but Rose didn't pull any punches when talking about them.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I've thought the same thing since Ed Martin was connected to illegal gambling and financed Webber.

Martin wasn't involved in sports betting though. He ran an illegal numbers game at Ford or GM, whichever one he worked at.

Also, the reason the refs missed the travel is the same reason as to why Webber traveled. Everyone was looking at Rose to get the outlet pass, except for Rose for some reason. Webber starts to pass to him, sees he's not looking and starts dribbling after taking a couple steps.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
It crossed my mind as well watching it last night but I think it's infinitely more likely that he heard the bench yelling TO and he just did it. You can see Mike Talley making the TO signal and Eric Reilly also said he heard guys calling for it.

I was in my first year of law school at UM when those guys were freshman, went to the regionals and final four that year. A lot of fun and that brought back a lot of memories. Used to see Juwan hanging out in the law quad from time to time.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
Honestly, the part that struck me the most was the fact that Michigan alums were signing their names to letters calling them n-words, and other racial epithets. It amazed me that they were so open about it.

edr247

Aug 4, 2010
It crossed my mind as well watching it last night but I think it's infinitely more likely that he heard the bench yelling TO and he just did it. You can see Mike Talley making the TO signal and Eric Reilly also said he heard guys calling for it.

I was in my first year of law school at UM when those guys were freshman, went to the regionals and final four that year. A lot of fun and that brought back a lot of memories. Used to see Juwan hanging out in the law quad from time to time.

You mean, Hogwarts?

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Was this one of the official "30 for 30" films or was it independent of that? I DVR'ed it last night and plan on watching the whole thing later on this week.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron