F*CK IOWA

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I'm worried Michigan will hang around. Kinda like northwestern did
Yeah, my concern is that MI has no need to put up style points or risk injuries; they're a lock with a simple win. I don't like that. I want total destruction early and often.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
giphy.webp

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

If Iowa gets Jim looking like this around mid-3rd quarter, Iowa's got a definite chance.

Because hands on the knees Harbaugh is thinking/making tight decisions Harbaugh, and I'd guess lots of Michigan fans don't want to see thinking/making tight decisions Harbaugh.

Jim Harbaugh recruiting Ole Miss players to Michigan

Reactions: Jer

Iowa'd

Nov 30, 2023
The schedule was indeed poor and the big 10 west was indeed bad, yet Iowa had 5 conference games that Iowa was tied or trailed late in the 4th quarter in which they won. That's over half their games. Iowa got absolutely smoked in the one conference game against a "difficult" opponent. What do you think that tells us about the Iowa team this year?
In my humble opinion I think first and foremost it tells us that Iowa has a strong coaching staff to go along with a strong culture within the program. I've been an Iowa fan for quite some time and the performance and winning they've arrived to this year is truly baffling, to the point where it is simply unexplainable.

Hard to predict or project what ISU would have done with Iowa's schedule this year, but I will note that I think Campbell and his staff did a remarkable job given the hand they were dealt in preseason. Losing your returning starting QB, TE, OL, RB and DL is no joke - and so ISU deserves a ton of credit for keeping it together and thriving. Shows good depth and a tough culture as well.

We all have our one-off games (Iowa's was PSU, ISU's was Oklahoma), but the bounce back is what matters...and I think both teams handled themselves extremely well.

Reactions: RagingCloner

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
In the second half I never felt like ISU could win that game. But it was still a one score game at the end, but then again Iowa does that a lot and still wins. I feel like they are 68-2 or something like that when leading by 8 or more points since 2015.
Agree. Iowa State was NOT winning that game. It was instantly over at 17-3. Instantly. At that point, Iowa had literally done ALL they needed to do to easily secure the win.

Sure, there was like a very, very 'tiny' glimmer of hope on that last minute drive, but I would have put my odds of stepping on the moon above our odds to win that game. Once Iowa is leading by more than a score, it's instantly over.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
In my humble opinion I think first and foremost it tells us that Iowa has a strong coaching staff to go along with a strong culture within the program. I've been an Iowa fan for quite some time and the performance and winning they've arrived to this year is truly baffling, to the point where it is simply unexplainable.

Hard to predict or project what ISU would have done with Iowa's schedule this year, but I will note that I think Campbell and his staff did a remarkable job given the hand they were dealt in preseason. Losing your returning starting QB, TE, OL, RB and DL is no joke - and so ISU deserves a ton of credit for keeping it together and thriving. Shows good depth and a tough culture as well.

We all have our one-off games (Iowa's was PSU, ISU's was Oklahoma), but the bounce back is what matters...and I think both teams handled themselves extremely well.

You had me until here.

Otherwise, yes, Iowa has a way of staying with it, and making the plays late even historically against very good teams. They're very fundamentally sound and in a tight late game, the stronger fundamentals tend to play out. It's often been the difference in the Cyhawk game and honestly ISU pulling off other games.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Time will tell but I’m guessing it’ll be harder. I don’t see Wisconsin, Nebraska and MSU underperforming indefinitely. There’s only so many wins to go around though.

And yes, the West has been awful the past two years. Prior to that, though, they usually had 2 to 3 good to really good teams every year.
LOL

Iowa'd

Nov 30, 2023
You had me until here.

Otherwise, yes, Iowa has a way of staying with it, and making the plays late even historically against very good teams. They're very fundamentally sound and in a tight late game, the stronger fundamentals tend to play out. It's often been the difference in the Cyhawk game and honestly ISU pulling off other games.
Understandable. The point of the one-off games are it's most often a time where a team has to answer some tough questions about who they are and how they are going to move forward through the season.

Iowa went 7-1 against a relatively weaker schedule, and ISU went 4-2 against a relatively tougher schedule that included at the time 3 ranked opponents, two of which are playing for the conference championship.

The schedules are the schedules; just have to find ways to regroup and fill the wins column the best you can.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Off games happen for even the best of teams. That said, it’s hard to argue getting shellacked by the one team that won 8 or more games one your schedule was an outlier when you also played a whole bunch of very close games against 5-7 and 7-5 teams. Yes, close games are their style, but 5 if their 10 wins were by a TD or less. A top 20 team should not be playing that many close games against .500 teams. IMO, that’s a better indicator of where Iowa would be with an average P5 SOS.

Reactions: Iowa'd

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017

Iowa this year reminds me of the Vikings last year. Won a ton of toss up games (nearly all of them), including against sub average teams. Rarely dominated a game. And they both had serious flaws as a team.
The stars happen to align just right for each team to pull out a large number of wins; however, that doesn’t correlate to anything. It doesn’t mean they have a strong coaching staff; it doesn’t mean they have a strong culture. They easily could be on the other side of those games, as the Vikings are finding out this year

May 7, 2020
Do Hawkeyes really not think it was advantageous to play ISU in week 2 after we lost our starting QB, RB, TE, and OL to gambling?
According to ISU Footballs director of personnel, we played 32 freshman over 4771 snaps this fall.

We were an incredibly young team that was learning to play together.

I don't see anyway that ISU would not beat Iowa if the game was played today, especially after Iowa losing Cade, Lachey, All, and Dejean. I just want Iowa fans to admit that as of right now, today, ISU is the better team.
Like most years, the only month that ISU isn't better than Iowa is in September.