EXTRA POINTS: Pass game potential, more notes

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
That was actually what I was suggesting. Aclone told me I wasn't looking in the right place. If not on Cyclone Fanatic then where should I go? I guess it is Jimlad time.

You can certainly get additional information at Cyclones.com (official website of ISU athletics). Go to the bottom of the page and click on "Spring Football Central".

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
If that were not enough, then I would.

Please read the comment in context. I posted a legitimate question which posed a number of potential alternative reasons why there don't seem to be quotes from Steele Jantz or pictures of Steele Jantz in recent reports about the football team. The poster I was responding to suggested that perhaps I wasn't looking in the right place. My response was directed at his suggestion.

Luckily I see you are on the scene, Mr. CW. Are you able to answer the original question posed (by which I mean are you at liberty to discuss it?). Perhaps Jantz isn't giving interviews. I honestly don't know and I was curious.

OK NOW I SEE YOUR RESPONSE ABOVE. Thank you.

Maybe it is the opposite of what you were wondering. Maybe Jantz is feeling like he is in the lead, but is keeping a low profile until he shows it at the Spring game. Maybe Barnett is trying to make up ground by being more available to the media.

Who knows?

CW said it was just that he talked to Barnett and missed Jantz because he left. Here is something really radical. Maybe there is nothing to it and it is just like CW said.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Maybe it is the opposite of what you were wondering. Maybe Jantz is feeling like he is in the lead, but is keeping a low profile until he shows it at the Spring game. Maybe Barnett is trying to make up ground by being more available to the media.

Who knows?

CW said it was just that he talked to Barnett and missed Jantz because he left. Here is something really radical. Maybe there is nothing to it and it is just like CW said.

I don't think it is particularly radical. I am willing to accept what CW has to say because he would know. What you say above is equally plausible. I don't know. That's why I asked a question. Also note that I asked the original question prior to CW's comments. What you say is entirely plausible.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
no he is not. Reggie was on the field a bunch his freshmen year, much much more than the little exposure to live action that Irving had. IMO, we should redshirt him. He obviously needs that extra year from lack of overall football experience.
You have it backwards. Reggie played some meaningless downs as a frosh, largely because (and this is straight from the horse's mouth--McCarney) they weren't sure they would be able to keep him eligible.

Irving, on the other hand, not only played meaningful time from scrimmage through the season, he made a number of plays during the OSU game, including batting down a pass and a couple times chasing Weeden from the pocket, that arguably contributed to the biggest win yet in Cyclone history.

cyrider2014

Aug 11, 2010
Iowa
Why not add fuel to this fire?
I have seen both scrimmages and a few practices and I believe that CPR is "coach-speaking" about the QB position. I think he wants all 3 of those guys to continue working, but I believe it is over. I had heard that from several people around the team, but after seeing it a few times, I believe it. One of these guys has shown vast improvement and seems to be comfortably in the lead.
JB has recorded 7 TDs passing and a couple running and 0 TO's in the 2 scrimmages. He has put on some weight, which looks like it is helping with his arm strength. You would be splitting hairs to say JB or SJ has the stronger arm right now. He has completed at about a 70-75% clip over the 2 scrimmages and, as we already knew, is effective in run-game. We are efficient, for the vast majority mistake free, and dangerous on offense when he is leading it. He looks like our guy, through and through.
SJ and SR have looked good as well, Steele is impressive physically as we know but he still leaves you scratching your head at times. He is completing at about 60-65% and has 3 TO's in 2 scrimmages. He has done some nice things, I think he has 5 or 6 TDs and has run pretty well. He is a viable option as a back-up no doubt, and I'd feel fortunate if we had to use him that we have such a capable guy back there. SR looks like SJ and JB looked in the spring last year, it is just too fast for him right now. He is gifted though and has a bright future.
Anyway, let the firebombs be tossed. This is one pair of eyes' opinion.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Why not add fuel to this fire?
I have seen both scrimmages and a few practices and I believe that CPR is "coach-speaking" about the QB position. I think he wants all 3 of those guys to continue working, but I believe it is over. I had heard that from several people around the team, but after seeing it a few times, I believe it. One of these guys has shown vast improvement and seems to be comfortably in the lead.
JB has recorded 7 TDs passing and a couple running and 0 TO's in the 2 scrimmages. He has put on some weight, which looks like it is helping with his arm strength. You would be splitting hairs to say JB or SJ has the stronger arm right now. He has completed at about a 70-75% clip over the 2 scrimmages and, as we already knew, is effective in run-game. We are efficient, for the vast majority mistake free, and dangerous on offense when he is leading it. He looks like our guy, through and through.
SJ and SR have looked good as well, Steele is impressive physically as we know but he still leaves you scratching your head at times. He is completing at about 60-65% and has 3 TO's in 2 scrimmages. He has done some nice things, I think he has 5 or 6 TDs and has run pretty well. He is a viable option as a back-up no doubt, and I'd feel fortunate if we had to use him that we have such a capable guy back there. SR looks like SJ and JB looked in the spring last year, it is just too fast for him right now. He is gifted though and has a bright future.
Anyway, let the firebombs be tossed. This is one pair of eyes' opinion.

I think you are correct. I think JB is clearly the leader right now, and it's by a wider margin than a lot would like to believe it is.

Not that SJ isn't capable, because he is, but he still just makes too many mistakes. He is capable of making spectacular plays, but also capable of throwing it right to the defense too. We can't have that. Our schedule is tough enough the way it is, we can't afford to be helping out the teams we play by giving them the ball.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
You're reading into things. Steele has been on our front page plenty of times. Last Saturday Steele wasn't available to interview. Today I was interviewing Jared and Steele was gone by the time I got done. Simple as that. Believe what you want though.

I believe JB is the starter minus injury and the "competition" is coachspeak mostly.

But that's just me.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
If both JB and SJ show significant improvement from last season, then I will be happy with whomever wins the battle. Competition can only make them better.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron