ESPN Blog about Campbell

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Jamie Pollard went on television and publicly cried about a call the refs made after (I believe) the Texas game. I have every reason to believe that could be a real thing. It is pretty well in line with the culture of the previous FB staff (the basketball letters should have raised the flag for me, Hoiberg wasn't really in the habit of making excuses) and a lot of the fans.

It's not all that uncommon for a coach or president/owner to do that and get fined or whatever. I wouldn't call it "crying". Some people just care about their teams.

CyNerd

Jul 2, 2014
It's not all that uncommon for a coach or president/owner to do that and get fined or whatever. I wouldn't call it "crying". Some people just care about their teams.

Pollard showed he cared about the team when he put a plan in place to drastically improve the facilities, established grassroots initiatives to build the fan base, and hired a quality staff that expects greatness.

That moment was embarrassing, and the outcome would have been the same if he had voiced his criticisms in private through the appropriate channels.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Or do it publicly to get the point across. It shouldn't have to reach that point in the first place. Pollard wasn't the first to do it, he won't be the last.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

CyNerd

Jul 2, 2014
What point did he make by saying something publicly that would not have been made by a private complaint? The private complaint would have gotten ISU an apology letter and the review of Big XII referee policies just like the public complaint did. It didn't inspire the team to play better or Rhoads to be a better coach. He still got fired. What it did was make ISU look like the kid who makes excuses and says life's not fair. It wasn't a good look for the university and did not accomplish a single thing that a private complaint wouldn't have.

Also, 'well other people do it, so why shouldn't we?' isn't the most sound rationale.

CyNerd

Jul 2, 2014
Yep. It's over. It happened. CMC is trying to get past it, why don't we do the same.

The question posed was, "why would anyone think the apology wall was a real thing?" I outlined why. Very much seemed like something Rhoads would have done and Pollard may well have supported based on things he had done in the past. Did not seem like something CMC and co would stand for. Didn't really have anything to do with not getting over it, was answering a question. Follow the dialogue.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The question posed was, "why would anyone think the apology wall was a real thing?" I outlined why. Very much seemed like something Rhoads would have done and Pollard may well have supported based on things he had done in the past. Did not seem like something CMC and co would stand for. Didn't really have anything to do with not getting over it, was answering a question. Follow the dialogue.

You weren't just answering a question. You were complaining that JP shouldn't have complained about it.

Just stating the reasons would be one thing. Going on and on about how it shouldn't have happened means that you, in fact, need to get over it.

Reactions: Tailg8er

CyNerd

Jul 2, 2014
Someone responded to my post, I responded back. I guess that is going on and on? Message board logic...:confused:

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
No, but you can join the Gridiron Club and chip in for Campbell's inevitable pay bump after he guides the team to a Big 12 championship in the next 3-4 years.

I don't think that's possible now, since JP publicly called out the refs after the same thing happening numerous times.

• Funny
Reactions: Tailg8er