ESPN Blog about Campbell

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Well, he has seen the Apology Wall, right?

jimlad_zpswbglhlyu.png

You jimlad-ed! How did you jimlad!

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Apology wall?

All of the following referee "calls" were later deemed incorrect and a written apology was given.
- Foul called on Niang as he laid on ground after taking a charge that wasn't called
- Rosie Red Cheeks step-in charge drawn on Clyburn.
- Jeremiah George goal line fumble/strip vs Texas
- K State receiver hits leg on endzone pylon (which is out of bounds) before gaining possession

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
90 days and we will all know a lot more about how Matt Campbell stacks up as a Big 12 coach. All he has to do to be a hero is to put his team in positions that give them the best opportunities and then not blow it by not making no or bad calls during the games. There is no shame in getting beat by a more talented team if the players and the coaches are doing their best.

• Agree
Reactions: isugcs

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
This actually makes me a little nervous. Reminds me of my grad school days at Notre Dame with the third most losing coach in ND history, Gerry Faust. He could talk a big game and knock off #1 Pitt and then lose to someone mediocre. Hopefully Coach Campbell can sustain his intensity through the course of the season.

What is there to be nervous about? It's not like we are coming off of a National Championship year and our coach left for the NFL. Yes, I understand things can always get worse, scandals, etc. But it doesn't get much worse than what we've seen over the last few years at ISU.

I know I'm guilty of it as well, but it's part of the ISU culture we have to get rid of. Always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Or being nervous about how our new coach will be when we've had a handful of winning seasons during the entire stretch of the program.

Be a glass half full kind of person and look for good things to happen, not bad.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
What is there to be nervous about? It's not like we are coming off of a National Championship year and our coach left for the NFL. Yes, I understand things can always get worse, scandals, etc. But it doesn't get much worse than what we've seen over the last few years at ISU.

I know I'm guilty of it as well, but it's part of the ISU culture we have to get rid of. Always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Or being nervous about how our new coach will be when we've had a handful of winning seasons during the entire stretch of the program.

Be a glass half full kind of person and look for good things to happen, not bad.

d1Z-thats-not-how-it-works-thats-not-how-any-of-this-works.jpg

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I have to agree with the approach. Just painful the think about how this team mentally and physically just quit in games last year. Toledo, KSU, Iowa, OSU. Got to be tougher, and make some *&^*%*%* half time adjustments or at least have some plans to deal with other teams adjustments.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Rhoads's last few teams were awful at dealing with adversity. His first few were much better in that department. Last year's team should have been able to knock off K-State and Toledo and had solid halves against Iowa and Oklahoma State. Imagine if they had shown the ability to adjust to adversity in those games.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
90 days and we will all know a lot more about how Matt Campbell stacks up as a Big 12 coach. All he has to do to be a hero is to put his team in positions that give them the best opportunities and then not blow it by not making no or bad calls during the games. There is no shame in getting beat by a more talented team if the players and the coaches are doing their best.

How do you not make a call.....just don't understand, not trying to be a terd.....

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Campbell and his staff have been awesome so far. They are very creative in everything they do. I can't wait to see what they do with game day. I really get the feeling that the coaches and team are going to be a tighter group than ever before. This has to translate into more success on the field.

If you haven't seen the video's of the ice cream truck and pool day at practice, check them out. Campbell really seems to understand "work hard, play hard"

CyNerd

Jul 2, 2014
Forreal. There is no reason anyone should believe that Iowa State would ever do that, and to top it off the picture is obviously fabricated. Comeon guys.

Jamie Pollard went on television and publicly cried about a call the refs made after (I believe) the Texas game. I have every reason to believe that could be a real thing. It is pretty well in line with the culture of the previous FB staff (the basketball letters should have raised the flag for me, Hoiberg wasn't really in the habit of making excuses) and a lot of the fans.