Ernie kent basically said Cyclone Alley

ZCyclone

Mar 24, 2009
Ames, IA
Re: Ernie kent basically said Cyclone Ally

It has everything to do with Cyclone Alley. There was never a problem until students moved to the current seating.

Students need to be spread throughout...no argument from me.

Not sure that would work so well...during the last few minutes of what was an extremely close and exciting game, the walkways above the non-student sections were filled up coat-wearing fans getting ready to leave as soon as possible. If you spread out the students, those folks will have to walk over all of the students who stay until the end instead of leaving with 2 minutes left with the rest of their row.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Are all fanbases as obsessive about fan participation and attendance as we are? I don't care how many are at the game, I just hope we win.

I hope not. It's really crazy.

I know how I would respond as a student if people kept complaining about my effort..............

And, for the record, I thought that Cyclone Alley made a pretty good representation today. I don't see any reason to complain about them instead of the other empty sections.

But our best attendance of the year. It really looks like we're making strides, and that's a much better focus.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois

Not sure that would work so well...during the last few minutes of what was an extremely close and exciting game, the walkways above the non-student sections were filled up coat-wearing fans getting ready to leave as soon as possible. If you spread out the students, those folks will have to walk over all of the students who stay until the end instead of leaving with 2 minutes left with the rest of their row.

Ugh, those fans are the worst. Don't bother showing up if you're going to leave when the team needs you most. Jesus, you are not going to get home that much faster by watching the game on the top of the parquet.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa

The problem is not Cyclone Alley. The problem is the parquet where corporate seat holders just sit the entire game with no passion for the Cyclones. I understand we have to sell these tickets or provide them to corporations to make money, but to me it's killed Hilton Magic.

The way to get them involved is to spread students throughout them. That is how it used to be done. You rotated 1 arena, 1 parquet, 2 balcony seats.

The problem is the creation of Cyclone Alley and concentrating all the students in one spot.

Last edited:

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006

The way to get them involved is to spread students throughout them. That is how it used to be done. You rotated 1 arena, 1 parquet, 2 balcony seats.

The problem is the creation of Cyclone Alley and concentrating all the students.

This.

I don't have anything against the students in Cyclone Alley. I just think the concept of students together on the ends removes a lot of the encouragement for the rest of the crowd to stand up and be loud.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines

i think the location of the student section is the problem.... but moving them to the sides will take donor seats aways... hmmm

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines

FWIW, the announcer was talking about our crowd in general in comparison to the Washington students who make noise the entire game. And also, it helps that Washington has had a successful basketball program for the better part of the past decade. We haven't seen any post-season play for men's basketball since 2005.

I think the problem is mindset. Believe it, if the program starts to do better, the noise will return. But right now, everytime the "magic" looks like it begins to creep back, there's that moment where something goes the other team's way and all the energy just gets sucked out because everyone in the crowd starts to think "here it goes again..."

Do not blame this one on the students. I've ragged on them in the past, but today, they were the ONLY ones attempting to make noise. Even at the end of the game, when it looked like there was a sliver of a chance that we could tie the game up, there was DEAD SILENCE from the crowd.

Granted, this could be because of the aforementioned reasoning of "same old Cyclones", but paradigm shifts don't happen on their own. The crowd can't make the shots on their own... all we can do is inspire.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Kids are so soft today. They need to yell at 120 decibels.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny

This was the best crowd in Hilton in a LONG time. One of the best in years. Great job ISU fans. Seriously not bad at all.

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007

It has everything to do with Cyclone Alley. There was never a problem until students moved to the current seating.

Students need to be spread throughout...no argument from me.

I like your enthusiam, but you can stop ******* INTO THE WIND with moving the students back to mixed in with the donor crowd. DONORS RULE. It will never happen again as long as ISU collects the donations from donors for the good seats.

You're just fooling yourself. Crowd was good today and will get better as more wins and CFH builds the team and crowd will follow.

I LISTENED TO CFH AND THE WHOLE TEAM ALL talk about bringing back Hilton Magic at a special preseason MBB outing.

You need to deal with what you can do to make it better cause IT IS NOT GOING TO CHANGE JUST FOR THE STUDENTS

Last edited:

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009

I hate to say it but I think this goes for all sports in that it doesn't mean as much to be at a game anymore with the quality of TV's that are out there and the massive and immediate access to scores, stats and video feeds of so many games right to your home. I know the NFL has had a bit of this issue and it is something to be concerned about. Some people are starting to realize that they can get a better experience in the comfort of their own home or dorm room for cheaper than going to the game, especially with packages like ESPN 3. I remember when I used to be extremely excited as a young kid to go to ISU games and now it sometimes seems like a better experience watching from home when the stats are available, no travel expense and I can flip to other games over commercial. Don't get me wrong I still try to go to as many games as possible but I think there is something to be said for the technology these days lowering fan attendance and hostility.

isuforlife

Sep 6, 2007

When the team gets bettter , I say students get better, build it and they will come

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

I don't like CA, they just are not doing a good job. Howver, I am more frustrated with the rest of the non student fans. These are the fans that were here for Hilton Magic yet they do nothing to help. Our fans don't know how to cheer or when to cheer. I get so frustrated when I stand up and make noise when the team needs it and when I look around everyone is sitting on their dead @ss. Why eve come to the games? You can just sit your dead quiet @ss on the couch.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006

Donors have always had the same seats in the same place. it has always been that way. That will never change. So that is not the problem

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA

Hilton used to be louder because the fans cheered to pick the team up too, not just when a good play happened.

+1000

Kent is very bias and he was being asked about Washington (the next game) and he said they were loud all game. I tuned into that game late in 2nd half and maybe it was UW was up by 25 or he is crazy because the crowd was very quite.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA

It really has nothing to do with Cyclone Alley, IMO, as much as it has to do with everybody in the stadium, students included, just being afraid to cheer. I agree there is a problem, I just don't think it can be easily blamed on the fact that Cyclone Alley exists (besides, the Hoiberg jerseys are sweet).

Students who sit in the upper half of Cyclone Alley aren't very loud. And adults seem to be opposed to standing and cheering unless something really good happens. Sometimes I would look and see a few scattered adults try to stand and make some noise, and nobody else would respond. It's a lot the same at football games, where people look at you like your weird if you try to make noise on 1st or 2nd down. It did get loud at times, to be fair, and I wasn't there in the 'good old days' to know what it used to be like, except as a kid which usually skews your view anyway.

I still love Hilton, and I think it will get rockin again if we start winning. In the last 2 minutes or so it seemed like people were just waiting for us to lose, because that's what we're used to. CFH also complimented the fans on the postgame radio show, so maybe it's not as bad as we think.

This is very true and something I ran into at the Well earlier this season - even though most thought the environment was great.