enCYCLONEpedia: Midterm evaluations

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
Kirk's story about fans discussing optimism and not pessimism for the rest of the year is hopefully part of CMC's "Process." It sounds like these fans are new to the nut-cup culture of Cyclone fans, but maybe we can start moving away from that culture. It's a lot more fun to cheer thinking we are going to win, not that we are going to lose anyway.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Great article, really puts it into perspective how doing some of the little things (i.e. not turning the ball over, not allowing big returns on special teams, etc.) can add up to team success. Campbell has clearly upgraded the overall depth and talent so far, but I still think for a team like ISU to consistently succeed they have to play very sound football and not beat themselves. Should be a fun second half of the season.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
As a defensive stat, I do not understand this:

Scoring (Adjusted Defensive Efficiency) – The Cyclones are scoring a schedule adjusted 1.92 points per possession, which is the 47th best offense in FBS.

I would think it should be "The Cyclones' opponents are scoring . . . 47th best defense in FBS." Unless it somehow refers to defensive scores (interceptions/fumbles returned for touchdowns, safeties)?

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Doesn't this defensive stat:

The Cyclone defense is giving up just 33.8 percent of its yardage against the run, the 20th best in the country.

automatically mean that the Cyclone defense is the 20th worst against the pass?

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Yeah, but it’s still typically a good sign. I think people have started using this stat to identify defenses that funnel offenses certain places.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
As a defensive stat, I do not understand this:

I would think it should be "The Cyclones' opponents are scoring . . . 47th best defense in FBS." Unless it somehow refers to defensive scores (interceptions/fumbles returned for touchdowns, safeties)?

I had the wording mixed up, thanks for the catch!

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006

Basically, but as noted I think the preference is to stop the run.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Yeah, but it’s still typically a good sign. I think people have started using this stat to identify defenses that funnel offenses certain places.
I doesn't seem like an independently positive/negative type of stat to me, outside of the edge cases.

In combination, low percentage of run yardage and low total yardage and low explosive pass plays seem like 3 puzzle pieces that fit together as a picture of a good defense forcing what the opponents must do. In contrast; low percentage of run yardage and high total yardage and high explosive pass plays seem like 3 puzzle pieces that fit together as a picture of a defense that is just utterly horrible against the pass.

In other words, I don't see where the stat by itself has much meaning (it needs a couple other stats for context). It could be a terrible pass defense, or it could be a good defense that's especially good against the run. It could even be a sign of an elite scoring offense, considering that teams tend to start throwing the ball a lot when they get behind by 2+ scores in a game.

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
The announcers in the KU game this last weekend mentioned that they had never seen a 2-hr walk-thru before where 1+hr was devoted to special teams. Jay also mentioned in his article about the Ryen punt return TD execution on the delayed return.

This staff's attention to detail is amazing. Every play is important and can be the difference. All 3 phases of the game are important. It will be amazing to see what happens as the talent level, depth, and experience / continuity start to build as to how far they can go.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
So it sounds like, by the numbers, to summarize this team...

-- an offense that does not "look" that good based on how it gains yards
-- one that is incredibly efficient in the red zone and does turn the ball over, however

-- a defense that is kind of like Mario from all those old Nintendo sports games
-- does not do anything really well, but does not really have any weaknesses, either

If those four facts do not sound like outstanding coaching and scheme, what would?

Regarding the schedule...

-- remaining road games = Tech, WVU, Baylor, and KSU
-- remaining home games = TCU and Oklahoma State

Damn, that is really inconvenient/frankly brutal that our two least winnable games are at home while our most winnable ones are going to be on the road this season.

Depending on wins in Lubbock, Morgantown, Waco, and Manhattan for a bowl berth makes me uncomfortable. So does trying to upset one of those two at home.

I hope and think we can do it, but that is about as hard as you can make it.

Next year, when these flip, I really hope we can 4-0 those teams at home. Pick up Kansas on the road for at least 5-4 in conference and all bonus after that.

8-4 could be there for us. I feel we have a better chance of winning in Iowa City than we probably would in Austin, Stillwater, or Ft. Worth or against OU at home.

The other two games are SDSU (oh gawd Superbunny will be back) and Akron. If we have problems with those, then I might need to start eating my footwear.

*drools*

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron