Empty nest

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
My son just moved out tonight into his first apartment.

Although we always kind of looked forward to that day in a way, when it arrives, it's really hard. We spent last night packing boxes, and we were digging toys out of his closet that he and I played with when he was 5 years old. It's absolutely stunning how fast the time goes.
Yeah. Oldest is graduating this year and going to college in the fall. Like you, mom and I were going through her closest getting rid of old clothes and seeing what she will need.....found some dolls and toys....sat on her bed....looked at the clean, clutter free wood floor in her room and all of a sudden the mind started showing a movie of when she and her sisters were on that floor with those dolls having a good time. Don't know what happened after that because my vision became impaired.

83cy

May 14, 2006
It's cliche but it really feels like a couple of years ago I had 3 small children, now I have 3 adults. I went to my middle son's college graduation last night, he leaves for Chicago in a few weeks for his new job, my older son also works in Chicago and my baby daughter graduates from high school in 3 weeks and then is off to college. Empty house and all three kids will not be close to home, I'm more sad than mom go figure.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Been an empty nester for several years. It was hard getting used to doing all the work around the house again. But it took several more years before I became any empty check-booker. They always seem to need money when they were starting out."

I hear you on this front! I have two employed college graduates and the third will obtain his degree on May 26; getting them off my payroll (cell phones, cars, auto insurance, health insurance, etc.) has proven to be more difficult than I anticipated!

As for the empty nest, I never understood why so many couples got divorced after their youngest left the home. I get it now - it's hard work kick-starting the relationship that was previously dependent on kids events...

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

cyfamily

Mar 19, 2015

Although we always kind of looked forward to that day in a way, when it arrives, it's really hard. We spent last night packing boxes, and we were digging toys out of his closet that he and I played with when he was 5 years old. It's absolutely stunning how fast the time goes.

Yes!
But, adult children once they get their feet under themselves are really fun. And soon enough come grandkids! Don't get me started on the grandkid subject, but they are the absolute best thing ever!

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
It's cliche but it really feels like a couple of years ago I had 3 small children, now I have 3 adults. I went to my middle son's college graduation last night, he leaves for Chicago in a few weeks for his new job, my older son also works in Chicago and my baby daughter graduates from high school in 3 weeks and then is off to college. Empty house and all three kids will not be close to home, I'm more sad than mom go figure.
Same in our house. Thought mom would be the one stocking up on tissue. We have two younger daughters still in HS, however this first now being a grad and ready to spread her wings really has made me sit back....and of all the things I have accomplished, outside of getting my wife to say "yes".......the best is being called "daddy".

Reactions: wxman1

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Yes!
But, adult children once they get their feet under themselves are really fun. And soon enough come grandkids! Don't get me started on the grandkid subject, but they are the absolute best thing ever!

Agreed. Went to the Iowa Wild game and a night cap with my young adult son last night. Really enjoyed talking about some of his business opportunities.

Reactions: cyfamily

cyfamily

Mar 19, 2015
Agreed. Went to the Iowa Wild game and a night cap with my young adult son last night. Really enjoyed talking about some of his business opportunities.

It's moments like those when you realize, I did ok raising this kid! You will have more "proud parent" times ahead. Enjoy!

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Don’t worry, you will always have children like me to mod in the cave ;)

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
They also may move back in for a short time either moving back from college searching for a job or finding initially living on their own a tougher adjustment than they originally thought. Either way...you still get them to fly on their own shortly there after...all part of growing up and adulting.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
After my son moved back in after college for a short while, the first night he was back, he called me on my cellphone and wanted to know why I wasn't home yet and it was past 9:00 and wanted to know where I was at...lol Talk about role reversal.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
You spend 18 years of your life growing up and 18 years raising one child.
For us will be 20-22 years raising children. If we live to be 80, we spent 10 years partying so still got 30 to figure out what to do.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

uthaman

Oct 18, 2006
Des Moines
You spend 18 years of your life growing up and 18 years raising one child.
For us will be 20-22 years raising children. If we live to be 80, we spent 10 years partying so still got 30 to figure out what to do.

You are typing on CF at 1:00am at age 50. If that doesn't say PARTY I don't know what does!

For the record in 3 weeks or so I will be down to 1 kid left in the house. At one time we had 4 kids, my mother-in-law, a foster kid, and my niece living with us. With two still remaining it already feels empty sometimes. I am sure I'll be emotional when the last one goes...

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I’m still at least 8 years away from having both boys out of the house. With the middle school drama with the oldest I’m ready to send him packing any day now.

• Funny
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
You are typing on CF at 1:00am at age 50. If that doesn't say PARTY I don't know what does!

For the record in 3 weeks or so I will be down to 1 kid left in the house. At one time we had 4 kids, my mother-in-law, a foster kid, and my niece living with us. With two still remaining it already feels empty sometimes. I am sure I'll be emotional when the last one goes...
I'm 31, the 8 month old woke up.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Ahhh yes, I remember those days.

My daughters are 2 years apart, but the older commuted to Community College the first two years, so they officially moved out within a couple weeks of each other. Went from a full house to nothing.

Had a couple of great years, then oldest and her boyfriend decided they needed to save money for a house downpayment, so they'd move back home for a while. She brought the boyfriend, dog, cat and a bird. She gave birth to my first grandkid 2 months ago and I don't think they will be leaving any time soon.

Love getting to see the little guy grow, but I do miss the quiet evenings.