Emergency Pod: What's next for ISU basketball?

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I would bet a lot of money that JP hasn't even started interviewing yet. You really think he has two interviews planned the following morning after he fired Prohm?

That would mean he was already planning on interviewing them and setting up the charters this last weekend. I don't see JP going behind Prohm's back and setting up interviews until Prohm knew he was gone.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
I would bet a lot of money that JP hasn't even started interviewing yet. You really think he has two interviews planned the following morning after he fired Prohm?

That would mean he was already planning on interviewing them and setting up the charters this last weekend. I don't see JP going behind Prohm's back and setting up interviews until Prohm knew he was gone.

From the sounds of Jps presser today hes known for a few weeks prohm is done.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
One that struck me after Pollard's video this morning was his talk of how a rebuild might take years, where @brentblum has said numerous times (and I tend to agree) that in today's high-turnover CBB environment there's no reason we should have to stay down for long.

I'd love to hear a deeper discussion about those two viewpoints and whether or how they can be reconciled.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011

He's known for at least 2 weeks prohm is done

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

I would be disappointed if Pollard wasn't reaching out to candidates/their agents before the formal announcement.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
One that struck me after Pollard's video this morning was his talk of how a rebuild might take years, where @brentblum has said numerous times (and I tend to agree) that in today's high-turnover CBB environment there's no reason we should have to stay down for long.

I'd love to hear a deeper discussion about those two viewpoints and whether or how they can be reconciled.
Under sell - Over Deliver

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I would be disappointed if Pollard wasn't reaching out to candidates/their agents before the formal announcement.
I think if he was, there would've been some smoke from the media. Sounded like until the announcement they had no clue if he was staying or going. Just everyone had a good hunch that you can't survive going winless.

I agree, that i hope he is reaching out and lining up interviews. Especially the monday and tuesday after some get knocked out of the tournament. I just don't see JP being that kind of person. He respects Prohm and coaches too much to go behind their backs.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I think if he was, there would've been some smoke from the media. Sounded like until the announcement they had no clue if he was staying or going. Just everyone had a good hunch that you can't survive going winless.

I agree, that i hope he is reaching out and lining up interviews. Especially the monday and tuesday after some get knocked out of the tournament. I just don't see JP being that kind of person. He respects Prohm and coaches too much to go behind their backs.

He didn't go behind their back - it was pretty clear he told Prohm a couple weeks ago based on his video. We need to be interviewing today, which means we needed to line these interviews up before the formal announcement on Prohm.

JP has likely been having conversations for months (if not longer) with potential candidates. These are long-term decisions that happen in (to the public) a short window, but there is a ton that goes on behind the scenes to get both sides comfortable with the job/hire in a short (once again, to the public) timeframe.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Just doing my best here guys. Trying to be 100 percent honest with you while analyzing the situation. Zero point in lying about it. If he gets the job, I will probably have to consider not covering the program.
I wouldn't care if you continued to cover the program. Everyone knows you are friends with him. No one should expect or anticipate that you'd be objective. This is an Iowa State website, for Iowa State fans, not a single person involved with Cyclonefanatic is objective. That's why we are here.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
I am not sure why a couple guys are knocking interviewing Dana Ford. He is a more experienced Gates in many ways. He has quickly turned programs around, he is an excellent recruiter and his teams play hard.

He was lead in getting Fred Van Fleet who was one of top recruits in Illinois to Wichita State. Toronto Raptor Fred VanFleet credited the relationship he built with Ford as the reason he chose to play for Wichita State. He also personally recruited NBA star Robert Covington to play for Tennessee State when he was their coach. He will have NBA credibility in terms of guys he recruits getting to the show.

His teams are very good defensively, very good at offensive rebounding. Two things we haven't seen much of lately.

College game is very much about getting the right players and Dana has a good track record. NCAA tourney success has been defined in recent years by ability to get stops and score off offensive rebounds. He is not a Fred style score 95 and win 95-93. If you have watched their games, it is exciting basketball. Personally, I like his style and coaching more than Porter Moser.

However, all that said, I trust JP and am 100% on whomever he hires.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006

I think the challenge on the rebuild timing is driven by a couple things. First, we have some B12 level players on the roster, but reality is we have a big portion that will need to turnover. When you combine that with the high probability (just based on what usually happens in coaching changes) that at least one of your B12 caliber players leave.

If you hang on to your current impact players, hit on the right transfers you can make strides next year, but competing for B12 championships, that will take awhile.

Look at Fred at NU, and I know they have less history, but it hasn't been an quick rebuild there even for Fred.

Finally, I take this as a good sign, because if JP's goal was to be middle of pack in B12, you could have a instant fix. JP's goal is championships and not always, but most of the time those take a couple years.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I notice fans continue to complaining about everything they don't like about potential candidates. Would be nice if people shared what they DO like instead. I'm already tired of reading but negative opinions of every possible coach.

TJ: Loves Iowa State. Knows what it takes to win in the Big 12 and Iowa State. Knows how to recruit to Iowa State. Has mid-west and especially Wisconsin connections. Seemingly had a phenomenal staff lined up if he was hired the last time around. Has experience at multiple P6 programs. Now has connections out West in addition to the mid-west. Has also coached at the JUCO level so he has connections there as well (might be able to re-establish our Indian Hills pipeline). Kept SDSU at the top of the conference (wasn't much room for improvement there). Is showing he can recruit to UNLV.

Craig Smith: Has had great success in multiple head coaching jobs, Utah State and South Dakota. Both of those weren't the premier programs in their conference, but he still got them to the top. Knows the mid-west, especially Minnesota, when it comes to recruiting.

Feel free to chime in with other candidates or add to the list I started with TJ and Smith.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Under sell - Over Deliver

I took that comment from JP in context with his talks with CSP on what it was going to take to turn it around. I think a new coach can deliver faster given transfers, fresh start etc. We can be competitive next year if things break right.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
I think the challenge on the rebuild timing is driven by a couple things. First, we have some B12 level players on the roster, but reality is we have a big portion that will need to turnover. When you combine that with the high probability (just based on what usually happens in coaching changes) that at least one of your B12 caliber players leave.

If you hang on to your current impact players, hit on the right transfers you can make strides next year, but competing for B12 championships, that will take awhile.

Look at Fred at NU, and I know they have less history, but it hasn't been an quick rebuild there even for Fred.

Finally, I take this as a good sign, because if JP's goal was to be middle of pack in B12, you could have a instant fix. JP's goal is championships and not always, but most of the time those take a couple years.
Well said. By turnaround quickly, I more mean be competitive in the middle of the conference, which would mean some type of post-season in next 24 months. Clearly will be so much turnover, it's hard to predict.