Eikmeier spotting at the Kansas game

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
I think its becoming more and more likely that Eik is going to redshirt. Haulska's emergence this past month is the same role that Eik is going to play. Plus he is only 170 lbs dripping wet (Nebrclone even said he is only 165 right now). Plus Lucca is a pure shooter and Boozer could also provide some spot minutes next year as he will be bigger and have a year in the system.

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
I know this is a message board, but why is everyone sold on that "wes eikmeier is going to redshirt"? NOONE KNOWS WHETHER HE IS GOING TO REDSHIRT OR NOT NEXT YEAR!!!

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I agree, I have been saying all along he might start. But the nice thing is he will do what ever GMac wants and will not complain about it.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I know this is a message board, but why is everyone sold on that "wes eikmeier is going to redshirt"? NOONE KNOWS WHETHER HE IS GOING TO REDSHIRT OR NOT NEXT YEAR!!!

Well, Mac said that Diante probably would have redshirted had they had any choice.

Next year the wing spots with have Wesley, Lucca, and Sean returning, with guys like Brian Peterson and Diante available to slide from point to the off guard, if needed. So I'd guess that Mac would attempt to redshirt Wes if at all possible. We've seen how tough it is to play defense in the Big XII without some muscle--just look at Craig and Diante.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
All hail Hollis Price... :notworthy: :wink:

Good point, but he is the exception not the rule. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE for Eik to come in and be awesome but it might be better for him down the road to redshirt and add some weight because we already have haulska, lucca, and boozer who are pure shooters.

I agree though that no one, not even Gmac, knows for sure.

Here are Prices numbers

Hollis Price Stats - Oklahoma Sooners - College Basketball

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
How do you know you can't last the entire big 12 season being 170 pounds? What does weight have to do with playing 30 some games? I understand he is probably going to get banged around and might even hit the freshman wall that most every freshman does...but unless you've been through the big 12 at 170 pounds, how can you speak for it? Cam Lee and Diante Garrett are both 180 pounds and can handle the big 12 it seems like...Diante can get through the lane, although he has trouble finishing at times but he seems to be handling it quite well and has progressed more than I think anyone thought he would.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think there is plenty enough evidence that you don't want to be that small going through the big 12, especially for defensive purposes.

Jul 25, 2007
I'm a nomad.
I quite enjoy how all you guys are just blindly assuming that we will have all of our returning players as well as the incoming recruits. When was the last time that happened?

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Does the staff expect to have everyone back next year, or are there problems with anyone?

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
How do you know you can't last the entire big 12 season being 170 pounds? What does weight have to do with playing 30 some games? I understand he is probably going to get banged around and might even hit the freshman wall that most every freshman does...but unless you've been through the big 12 at 170 pounds, how can you speak for it? Cam Lee and Diante Garrett are both 180 pounds and can handle the big 12 it seems like...Diante can get through the lane, although he has trouble finishing at times but he seems to be handling it quite well and has progressed more than I think anyone thought he would.

You said it best. Another 15-20 pounds and he makes a lot more of his shots when he drives to the hoop. At 170 lbs he is also going to have a hard time guarding physical guards. And Gmac is a defense first coach. Can you play at 170, yes. Is it ideal, no.

The biggest reason I see Eik possible redshirting is that his role is already filled with Hauslka, Lucca, boozer and even petey.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
I think Booze! will redshirt next year. It doesn't happen often, a player rs after his freshman year, but I think a rs would really help him develop his game. He does have a nice shot.

markshir

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Cookie Miller for Nebraska seems to be doing fine and there's no way he is over 165. I would love to have him on our team.

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Good point, but he is the exception not the rule. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE for Eik to come in and be awesome but it might be better for him down the road to redshirt and add some weight because we already have haulska, lucca, and boozer who are pure shooters.

I agree though that no one, not even Gmac, knows for sure.

Here are Prices numbers

Hollis Price Stats - Oklahoma Sooners - College Basketball

At the beginning of the season, everyone was on Haluska's arse becuase he couldn't make a three, and now that they are falling he's a pure shooter? I haven't really seen anything by Boozer that classifies him as a pure shooter other than he's got an arch on his shot that's going to make it rain! Reminds me of the guy in the movie "along came polly" where the fat guy throws up the shots and yells "Make it rain!" and clanks it off the backboard lol

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
At the beginning of the season, everyone was on Haluska's arse becuase he couldn't make a three, and now that they are falling he's a pure shooter?

I think it's been pretty much determined it was a confidence issue. I think Jeremy said something way back when he did the "Coach for a Day" thing that SH was nailing them in practice, but it wasn't translating into game time. Pretty much there was a lid on the basket when he was shooting. Then he hit one. Then he hit another one. Now he's pretty much busted that lid off the basket.

markshir

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I don't care if it is mental or not, you are not a pure shooter if you miss 26 threes in a row.

I don't have anything against Haluska and I am thrilled he is stepping up and playing well, but the fact remains that he likely set a record for consecutive three point misses to start a season. He is shooting well recently. Hopefully that continues into next season.

Todd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I can't wait for (and we have sorely missed this year) the guy who if he gets left open, the other team changes facial expressions..as in "Oh ***t, we're dead if I don't get there!". I haven't seen Lucca shoot but, if he's got a quick release, he may be that guy.