Edozie

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
I know he didn't provide a lot of offense but I thought he came in and gave us exactly what we needed given the circumstance. We have other guys who can pick up the scoring. 4 rebounds in 16 minutes of play is pretty good and having his big body clogging up the lane had to have an impact even if it didn't show up in the box score. I was really watching to see if he could get back on defense since UNC likes to run and he really hustled back there. Props to Daniel.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Edozie gave some pretty big minutes on D. Just having that size in there really helped.

I love picture

032314-SW-CBK-DeAndre-Kane-PI-2.vadapt.955.medium.88.jpg

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
That big freshman for them was pretty scary. Edozie did pretty well on him when he was in.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
He played within himself both on offense and defense, which is exactly what we needed. I was especially impressed on D, where he didn't try to do too much. He just made his guy make a more difficult shot over him, which they did at times, but that is ok. When you start going for Sportscenter blocks is when problems can develop.

Well done, and I'm sure it'll be even better with a lot of reps with the ones this week.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
I liked Edozie on defense. On offense I would see him setting screens then not slashing to the basket and just continuing to be stationary. Hopefully he starts rolling off the pick more often and he will be dropping buckets.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
You can tell Edozie was playing really hard. He played with his own strengths instead of trying to be like Niang.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Yep! He provided us with some key minutes especially in the beginning. There was a time where he out hustled a UNC guy for a rebound in the beginning, and a few times where he played good enough D where their big guys bricked the shot against him. He did well and should be recognized for it, especially for someone who almost never plays and just started playing the game a handful of years ago.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
does he start against uconn or does it go back to naz?
I'm guessing he'll start again, even though it seems he won't be needed as much since UCONN also plays somewhat small. I think Fred will want to keep things consistent with Naz coming off the bench. If it would have been a disastrous beginning to the game he might have shaken it up, but I think he'll start again and get subbed out relatively quickly.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Only problem on d was letting his guy catch it too low... Can't be on inside position when your man is catching it inches outside of the charge circle. But he certainly gave us good minutes and definitely contributed to the win.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I thought for sure that Fred would start Naz, but once again Fred proved why he is a top coach in the NCAA. The extra minutes he was able to steal with an extra big on the floor by starting Daniel was huge. The whole team appeared gassed mid way through the second half and that would have been even worse if our other bigs would have had to play even more minutes against the biggest of UNC's bigs. That 290# freshman was a load and they were letting him bang, bang and bang again on offense. They were tiring out ISU's posts and Daniel's minutes were HUGE.

I was worried about him coming in too hyped up being it was his very first start on such a big stage. I have a lot of respect for the kid considering the big minutes he played at the end of the BYU game and how he played and then how solid he started his very first start with all the brightest lights on.

Good call Fred!

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
He played pretty well. We will need him to get the confidence to be a bit more of garbage man- he is big enough and quick enough to get a couple put back buckets or finishing after Morris and Kane break down the defense. Add a block or two and some hard fouls protecting the rim, and he is a solid 7th man.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
My only issue with him is that he lost his many MULTIPLE times when a shot was in the air, and he would block out someone who was already being blocked out, leading to 3 or 4 offensive rebounds for UNC.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
He also made a nice play by chasing down a loose ball that we quickly converted into a bucket in which he really showed his quickness. He has no problem getting back on D with other bigs that are athletic and can run. The extra reps working with the first unit all week could really help him.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
If he starts again, will be interesting to see what he can do with a few days to prepare.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I like what Edozie was able to come in and do, but Percy is a better basketball player at this point in his career, especially in terms of fundamentals. Would like to see him get similar opportunities.

Not to put down Edozie or anything. He played great defense, and rebounded ok, but I also saw a lot of things that others on here have mentioned. The double box-out leaving a UNC player un-boxed for an easy offensive rebound and put back, and letting his man catch it too low on the block. You could tell they (UNC) were picking on him. He put up a pretty good fight though. I could probably count on one hand how many times he touched the ball on offense, which essentially made it so that UNC had a 5-4 advantage when ISU had the ball.

Last edited:

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Edozie did what he needed to do. I've personally been one of those who believed he should play more most of the season. He can't do a lot on offense, but with guys like Kane and Ejim we really don't need him to.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I like what Edozie was able to come in and do, but Percy is a better basketball player at this point in his career, especially in terms of fundamentals. Would like to see him get similar opportunities.

Not to put down Edozie or anything. He played great defense, and rebounded ok, but I also saw a lot of things that others on here have mentioned. The double box-out leaving a UNC player un-boxed for an easy offensive rebound and put back, and letting his man catch it too low on the block. You could tell they (UNC) were picking on him. He put up a pretty good fight though. I could probably count on one hand how many times he touched the ball on offense, which essentially made it so that UNC had a 5-4 advantage when ISU had the ball.

I haven't seen a basketball player yet that didn't make the occasional mistake when they're in there, particularly during a big game. I would have to guess that Daniel gives Fred more of what he wants right now (and he does have size on Percy). I do think that Percy has been better in his last couple appearances at working within the flow of things though.

Help Support Us

Become a patron