Dublin

bstegs

SuperFanatic
Apr 11, 2006
Champaign, IL
The girlfriend and I are taking a trip to Ireland in May. I am wondering if anybody can offer advice on things to see in Dublin as well as suggestions on hotels or b&bs.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
I only was in Dublin for a night. We stayed at a hostel called Jacob's and spent the day walking Dublin on foot. We stopped at the Guinness brewery, a pub called The Brazen Head (oldest pub in Ireland), and swung by St Patrick's Cathedral (very impressive structure). Beyond that, I don't have much advice for you.

I do recommend you take a train from Dublin to Cork and spend a couple nights there. The city itself isn't anything special, but you can tour/explore the Ring of Kerry and the Blarney Castle, which are fantastic. We also got to see a traditional celtic band play in a bar in Cork, which was awesome.

ps. Try the boxty!

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
I was there about 7 years ago. Find someplace close to the Temple Bar (I think that is the name of their old market district). Make sure and go to the Brazen Head and Guiness. Lots of good pubs and restaurants. But my recomendation is that if you have time, get out of town. Try taking a train or bus to Cork or Galway. Northern Ireland (Belfast) would be great, but I didn't have time to make it there. My thoughts on Dublin were that it was cool for pub-hopping, but I wouldn't spend more than a few days there.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
If you have the opportunity, catch a hurling match. It's a fantastic game. The All-Irelands are best, but I don't think they'll be played when you are there.

Hurling | Cumann Lúthchleas Gael Official Website - GAA.ie

We rented a car for two weeks and drove around the entire island. The North coast was my favorite. Dublin was mostly shopping, the Guiness factory, and pubs. There was an interesting display of the Bloody Sunday happenings at the main post office that was pretty interesting as well.

If you get a chance to head to any of the small villages surrounding Dublin, hit a pub just after dinner time. That's where you get a real feel for the Irish people. Very good folk.

bstegs

SuperFanatic
Apr 11, 2006
Champaign, IL
We are going for ten days, beginning and ending in Dublin. We are headed to Cork, Killarney, Doolin, Galway, the Aran Islands, and maybe one other place. We are spending two nights in Dublin. This is the only lodging that I have to find for the whole trip. The girlfriend is handling the rest. I want to be close to the city center (1-2 miles) but don't want to pay much more than $150 per night.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Try to stop by The Cliffs of Mohr in county Clare. They are about 700 feet high straight down to the ocean and pretty spectacular. Go to Google images and you will find plenty of pictures. If you make it to The Ring of Kerry, try to be there for sunset.

I would love to go back to Ireland some day.

Todd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
The Cliffs of Mohr in county Clare....hey, those look like the Cliffs........of INSANITY!!

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Kind of jealous. We have the Irish part of my family traced back to Ireland (although I forget the town's name off the top of my head), and I'd like to research my family history there.

dukeebear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 30, 2006
Ames
We went on a tour of Croke Park while we were there. Great stadium. Guiness tour isn't worth the money, unless you want to see the view from the top of the plant. Brazen head is awesome. Stayed in Dublin only two days. Were in Ireland for two weeks.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
We are going for ten days, beginning and ending in Dublin. We are headed to Cork, Killarney, Doolin, Galway, the Aran Islands, and maybe one other place. We are spending two nights in Dublin. This is the only lodging that I have to find for the whole trip. The girlfriend is handling the rest. I want to be close to the city center (1-2 miles) but don't want to pay much more than $150 per night.

Be prepared to stay in a dump. The dollar is worthless. We are going to London in April and we're looking at $300 a night for decent lodging in a good location

cowboycurtis

Jul 20, 2006
We stayed at the burlington hotel in dublin. Nice place. We got there the day after the Ireland vs. Wales rugby match. Looks like we missed one hell of a party because everything was covered in plastic with beer bottles thrown everywhere. Always a day late and dollar short I guess!

cowboycurtis

Jul 20, 2006
Also, Trinity College is great and check out the Jameson whiskey distillery. Lots of free drinks!

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
I wanted to see the Book of Kells in the Trinity Library but we got behind and were unable to see it. The Trinity Library has a self-guided tour that sounds interesting for eight euros.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
My co-worker lives part-time in Dublin, and he is now telling me what to type:

Dublin Post Office - site of 1916 Fenian Revolt
Temple Bar Area - Pub crawl from hell + sightseeing.
Guiness tour
Trinity College
St. Stephen's Green
Awesome seafood
O'Connell street for shopping
Theater district

First thing, hire a bus tour, and listen to the tour guide, then decide what you want to see.

You can get off anytime you want, and get on the next one, provided it's the same company.

Look into getting a Dublin pass, which is good for some transpo as well as free or reduced admission to a bunch of the sights.

There are also IWalks, which is a walking tour downloadable to your IPod, or you can rent an IPod.

Last edited:

bstegs

SuperFanatic
Apr 11, 2006
Champaign, IL
I want to thank everybody for all of the ideas. Keep them coming. This thread will also go a long way towards getting my girlfriend to enjoy CF more. As far as expensive hotels, we are doing only B&B's outside of Dublin with costs between 30 and 40 Euro per person. In Dublin is another story though. I am just looking for something within distance of the city center for a reasonable price. Again, thanks to everyone for the recommendations.