Dropping a class?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
You can't declare it pass/fail. It's counting towards something you're required to take I'm guessing so that isn't an option.

I'd say don't drop it unless you have to, especially as a freshman. It should be a last resort, and if you're struggling with religion 205, you may want those in the future. Put in an honest effort until October 28th, and if you're still in an area where you think you're going to fail or get a D, drop it. If you can still get a C with some effort, just take the C. Get as many credits knocked out as an underclassman as possible because the workload in most degrees gets crappier as you get older.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
You can't declare it pass/fail. It's counting towards something you're required to take I'm guessing so that isn't an option.

I'd say don't drop it unless you have to, especially as a freshman. It should be a last resort, and if you're struggling with religion 205, you may want those in the future. Put in an honest effort until October 28th, and if you're still in an area where you think you're going to fail or get a D, drop it. If you can still get a C with some effort, just take the C. Get as many credits knocked out as an underclassman as possible because the workload in most degrees gets crappier as you get older.

Is there a drop limit?

I've never dropped a course, so I honestly don't know. I may be too stubborn.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Also, if you end up staying with it and aren't satisfied with your grade at the end, you can re-take the class and your first grade will be replaced with the 2nd. I did this once.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
you get 5 drops in 4 years but drops dont count your first semester in college. i dropped my com sci class my freshman year and it never counted against my 5.

id recommend just dropping it and take another humanities class, there are a lot easier ones out there than a religion class

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
You seem pretty worried about this. My best advice: Don't be. If your just a freshmen, (heck, even if its your 1st semester senior year) being one class behind doesn't mean anything. You have PLENTY of time to catch up. I'd probably just drop it if I didn't think I could easily get a C and then be able to really concentrate on your other classes. In the end the whole thing could raise your GPA.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
you can finish the class and see how you do and if you end up getting a grade you dont want, you should be able to retake the course another semester and they will give you the 2nd grade (not sure if you really want to waste 2 semesters on the same class tho)

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
If you are thinking about retaking it, I don't believe they replace the first grade with the second anymore. I think now they AVERAGE the first and second grades. If you get a C, then you might have to earn an A the second time to get a B on your records. Is it worth the extra work to you? I believe this change was made my sophomore year (spring 2001???), right after I had retaken Calc 3. Make sure to find out how it works when you talk to your advisor.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
I'm also a freshman at Iowa State this year....while this might be a LAST resort, get a tutor...even though in most cases it costs money (unless you are in ROTC or have a disabilitiy) it is worth it. I have a tutor and you meet some more people and you get test help (basically the tutor is a student from the previous year and she/he gets a copy of the test and they help study for it...they can't give the actual questions but similar ones).

You'd have to check if there's a tutor for the religion class...i'm guessing your advisor will recommend it to you (mine did)

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
There's usually no reason to panic.

I'd stay in the class study hard and hope you can raise the grade.

In my expirence, high school kids who got all A's, get to Iowa State and get a C (or an F) on one test and assume they are going to flunk out.

I'm guessing you can study hard and manage at least a C (probably a B) and have those 3 credits.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
If you are thinking about retaking it, I don't believe they replace the first grade with the second anymore. I think now they AVERAGE the first and second grades. If you get a C, then you might have to earn an A the second time to get a B on your records. Is it worth the extra work to you? I believe this change was made my sophomore year (spring 2001???), right after I had retaken Calc 3. Make sure to find out how it works when you talk to your advisor.

They still replace #1 with #2. If you have to retake again, then #2 & #3 are averaged. Also, you have up to 15 repeat credit hours. After those 15 hours are used then any classes repeated after that would be averaged regardless of attempt #. I graduated in 2006 and that was still the policy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron