Drake Coach to CO State

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
While you never want to lose a coach, especially one that has only been there for 1 year, I don't get the fans/media acting like this is devastating to Drake.

He walked into a team that had 5 seniors and 2 juniors and led them to a .500 record in a bad MVC. They weren't particularly good at anything and almost assuredly were going to lose 20+ games over the next 2 years.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins and DSMCy

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
While you never want to lose a coach, especially one that has only been there for 1 year, I don't get the fans/media acting like this is devastating to Drake.

He walked into a team that had 5 seniors and 2 juniors and led them to a .500 record in a bad MVC. They weren't particularly good at anything and almost assuredly were going to lose 20+ games over the next 2 years.

While I doubt there are enough drake fans to give a ****, you can’t win if you keep having to replace coaches.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines

But he was packing hundreds of fans in the Knapp Center every night!

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
While I doubt there are enough drake fans to give a ****, you can’t win if you keep having to replace coaches.

No question. Not an ideal situation, but next year was a complete rebuild anyway.

Jan 9, 2012
Simply as a reference for those talking about the attendance at Drake, they averaged 3195 people for their home games this season. By comparison UNI average 4090 and Loyola (team headed to the Round of 8) was dead last in the Valley at 2405 people. Bradley led the MVC in attendance at 5699. While Drakes crowds seems small compared to what we are used to at ISU, they are on par with the other teams in their league. Everything is relative.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Understand why Drake is upset, but the guy is doing what's in his best interest. No different than regular folks who switch jobs.

Regular folks who are literally the face of their organization. Where everything is built around them. You can recognize that what happened was understandable while also recognizing that he just took a dump on their program.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Bad for Drake. Good for Niko. I actually thought Drake's bigger risk was losing their women's coach Baranzyck (spelling). She has actually done a good job over a few yrs.

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015

This is interesting. I wonder how much interest there’d be from Drake because I think they could definitely get him if they wanted. He’s really recruited Iowa hard in his time at UND which is something that Drake hasn’t really done as much as one might expect.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Just a note....Messiah Jones has re-opened his recruitment. Not sure if he is still considering Drake at all. He only had mid major offers, but had a very good season for Simeon with THT. He is a 6-5 power forward, but would probably play as more of a wing in college. High energy player. Wonder if Prohm would consider him? Might be a good combination to have with THT....not sure ISU has ever had high school teammates before.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Since the Sweet 16 run, he has made the tournament 2 times in 8 years. He's getting paid the same amount as the bottom 3 coaches in the league combined. Attendance is declining.

2018: 4090
2017: 4535
2016: 5378

He once was a hot coach. If he got hired by ISU right now I'd be absolutely livid.
Well yea, but I'm just not sure UNI can do much better.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Since the Sweet 16 run, he has made the tournament 2 times in 8 years. He's getting paid the same amount as the bottom 3 coaches in the league combined. Attendance is declining.

2018: 4090
2017: 4535
2016: 5378

He once was a hot coach. If he got hired by ISU right now I'd be absolutely livid.

He's been thrown a lifeline in AJ Green. A kid that good in the Valley should carry a team a long ways.

• Agree
Reactions: Tornado man

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Well yea, but I'm just not sure UNI can do much better.

Maybe not, but the university is broke and those athletic programs are not making anywhere near enough money or creating enough exposure to justify paying him anywhere near that much.

We're talking about a school that just last summer proposed having Iowa and ISU subsidize their athletic programs.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Do to being broke UNI is exempt from state budget cuts, leaving it all for ISU and Iowa to take on, but they still pay an MVC basketball coach a million per year? Something feels off about that.

After a quick Google search it looks like they gave him a 2 year extension last spring (after going 14-16) bringing him back up to a full 10 years on this contract. He doesn't even have to win at a lowish mid major level to get damn near seven figures per year for seemingly as long as he wants. **** me, Ben Jacobsen has the best job in college basketball.

Just like every college coach that makes decent money everywhere, it's all privately funded and no tax dollars are paying Ben Jacobson, just like Campbell, Prohm, Ferentz and Lady Glasses.

Comparing UNIs academic mission to those of Iowa State and Iowa is like comparing apples and Oldsmobiles. Iowa State and Iowa are doctorate leveln national R1 institutions that pull in great numbers of out of state students as well as great numbers of grants and research dollars. UNI is a regional institution that hangs its hat on its teaching and accounting programs while having a student body that is 94% Iowan. UNI has no way to make up the dollars that would have been lost without raising tution on Iowans. If you believe that Iowa dollars should follow Iowa students, you should believe in UNI being as well funded as possible.

*steps down off soapbox*

• Agree
Reactions: hurdleisu24

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Maybe not, but the university is broke and those athletic programs are not making anywhere near enough money or creating enough exposure to justify paying him anywhere near that much.

We're talking about a school that just last summer proposed having Iowa and ISU subsidize their athletic programs.

UNI did not propose that. It was a crack pot state senator from Western Iowa that has nothing to do with UNI. UNI came out strongly against it the moment it was brought up. UNI does not expect Iowa State and Iowa to subsidize our athletic programs.

Again, wholely different missions and different levels.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Just like every college coach that makes decent money everywhere, it's all privately funded and no tax dollars are paying Ben Jacobson, just like Campbell, Prohm, Ferentz and Lady Glasses.

Comparing UNIs academic mission to those of Iowa State and Iowa is like comparing apples and Oldsmobiles. Iowa State and Iowa are doctorate leveln national R1 institutions that pull in great numbers of out of state students as well as great numbers of grants and research dollars. UNI is a regional institution that hangs its hat on its teaching and accounting programs while having a student body that is 94% Iowan. UNI has no way to make up the dollars that would have been lost without raising tution on Iowans. If you believe that Iowa dollars should follow Iowa students, you should believe in UNI being as well funded as possible.

*steps down off soapbox*

Reads as an excuse for the UNI administration doing a poor job with a cute bow attached to at the end to deflect from reality.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Reads as an excuse for the UNI administration doing a poor job with a cute bow attached to at the end to deflect from reality.

You're assuming UNI and other like institutions can just flip a switch and change their entire mission as an institution. UNI was set forth by the legislature and BOR as a regional, master's level institution, or 'Normal School', that is there to offer education to people that want to go into more skilled and professional trades that don't necessarily require advanced degrees and extended schooling, i.e. Teachers and Accountants. UNI does not have the infastructure or funding to offer engineering, agricultural, medical, law degrees, etc. Nor should that be their mission. That's what the state's flagship universities are for. UNI does a damn good job of fulfilling its mission with a fraction of the budget put into the other two universities.

If UNI were to cease to exist or be defunded, where do those students go? The other factor is that over 80% of UNI grads stay in state. This state struggles to keep college educated people within its borders as it is.

Reactions: NWICY

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
You're assuming UNI and other like institutions can just flip a switch and change their entire mission as an institution. UNI was set forth by the legislature and BOR as a regional, master's level institution, or 'Normal School', that is there to offer education to people that want to go into more skilled and professional trades that don't necessarily require advanced degrees and extended schooling, i.e. Teachers and Accountants. UNI does not have the infastructure or funding to offer engineering, agricultural, medical, law degrees, etc. Nor should that be their mission. That's what the state's flagship universities are for. UNI does a damn good job of fulfilling its mission with a fraction of the budget put into the other two universities.

If UNI were to cease to exist or be defunded, where do those students go? The other factor is that over 80% of UNI grads stay in state. This state struggles to keep college educated people within its borders as it is.

Simpson, Central, Coe, Wartburg, Upper Iowa, BVU, Loras, Luther, Dubuque

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron