Dowling Catholic's Ryan Boyle commits to the Hawks

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
Not even trying to be a troll Hawk. I am a Hawk fan, but am curious if you guys think you will pursue him if you see a few of your targets fall through? Also, wondering what some of you think of the kid on a football level beyond bonfires. Have many here seen him play? Great videos imo but they are what they are....highlight videos

Gritty. Tough. Accurate. Reminds me of your current starting QB, only faster and more of a dual threat. He will be a fine QB.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
If only there were an internet site devoted to conversations about EIU football! Please take your conversation there.

To be fair, we kind fo brought this on ourselves by going with the "who has Iowa every developed as a QB" argument when we haven't had a good QB in roughly 12 years.

tgraham1984

Apr 1, 2014
To be fair, we kind fo brought this on ourselves by going with the "who has Iowa every developed as a QB" argument when we haven't had a good QB in roughly 12 years.

This is an interesting discussion tho to be honest. I disagree with whoever said Iowa couldn't develope QB's, but I disagree with whoever said ISU couldn't as well. What is the definition of couldn't develop???? NFL???

From my memory I always thought Meyers, Arnaud (minus Iowa games), Wallace were pretty solid to good QB's. I think the Roach kid is going to be really solid as well.

Iowa has had Banks (maxwell, obrien), Tate, Stanzi, Chandler where all pretty good college players recruited QB's out of HS. Yes I know Banks, Chandler, and Wallace were JUCO

We have to remember that none of these kids Minus Tate and maybe Arnaud(?) were very highlyYes I know Banks, Chandler, and Wallace were JUCO

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Not even trying to be a troll Hawk. I am a Hawk fan, but am curious if you guys think you will pursue him if you see a few of your targets fall through? Also, wondering what some of you think of the kid on a football level beyond bonfires. Have many here seen him play? Great videos imo but they are what they are....highlight videos

I first found out about him while at the Sage Rosenfels-Kyle Orton camp back in 2011, and remember watching him throw very well. Only got to watch him play in a game once, which was last season and he threw very well again, and showed that he's a pretty good scrambling quarterback as well. If he does see the field at Iowa, I can see him doing pretty well. I would take him here at Iowa State in a heartbeat.

jblock

Dec 2, 2013
I've seen Boyle play several times over past few years. He has bulked up a lot over last year plus. Very accurate passer. One knock on him was small hands but he seems to handle the ball well both throwing and running. He has ran the ball 20+ times in several games with few turnovers. 4.6 may not be accurate but pad speed is good.Sees the field very well. Can't see him making the switch to safety. Similar to Luke Knott, maybe. Could see him at LB or possession receiver if QB thing doesn't work out.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006

Watched his two play-off games at the Uni-dome and probably the best qb performance I've seen from an Iowa high schooler, even more impressive as a junior. He ran all over Valley, then passed and ran all over Xavier, who had given up an average of about 3 points a game this year. Boyle and Dowling put up 40 on them in the first 3 quarters. He can make all the throws, including the Brett Farve backhander, and has the confidence and poise you want in a qb. If we don't get the Burrow kid, which may be a longshot, I sure hope we keep recruiting Boyle as he would seem to fit our system better, at least the system we've had. But then Iowa might like him so much they change some things to take advantage of his running and zone read ability.

TigerCyJM

May 3, 2012
Polk County, IA
The kid is a monster but IMO he is a linebacker for EIU. Straub from Ames (who we should've offered) impressed me much more with his passing against the valley defense than boyle did. Boyle was a spectacular runner that day though.

Last edited:

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
The kid is a monster but IMO he is a linebacker for EIU. Straub from Ames (who we should've offered) impressed me much more with his passing against the valley defense than boyle did. Boyle was a spectacular runner that day though.

Boyle was interviewed last night and said he's put on 20 lbs since football season, so he's not far from lb size now. And after watching the Valley play-off game I agree, Boyle was spectacular on the ground but didn't pass much (but he didn't need to). But did you see the Xavier game? That erased all doubt imo as to whether Boyle has a d-1 arm. He was about as spectacular passing against Xavier as he was running against Valley. Time will tell but I think he will stay at qb and be a good one.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Boyle was interviewed last night and said he's put on 20 lbs since football season, so he's not far from lb size now. And after watching the Valley play-off game I agree, Boyle was spectacular on the ground but didn't pass much (but he didn't need to). But did you see the Xavier game? That erased all doubt imo as to whether Boyle has a d-1 arm. He was about as spectacular passing against Xavier as he was running against Valley. Time will tell but I think he will stay at qb and be a good one.

Yes, accounted for 6 TD's in 3 quarters against Xavier. They had given up like 2-3 TD's all year. He is definitely a D1 QB.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

This. The kid can definitely torch defenses on the ground and he definitely didn't need to throw against Valley. But he's got the arm. You don't throw for 1,800 yards and complete just over 63% of your passes as a chump.

Here are Boyle's numbers from games in which he attempted 10 or more passes (he had three games with fewer than 10 attempts).

Comp: 106
Attempts: 167
Comp%: 64.3%
Yards: 1,641
YPC: 15.5
YPA: 9.83
TD: 18
INT: 3

Of those 11 games, only three (Hoover, Ankeny, and Mason City) were against poor competition. The other games consisted of SEP (2x), Valley (2x), Urbandale, Xavier, Centennial and Waukee. That's pretty stout competition to be putting up numbers like that against.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Every time I see someone knocking the Iowa program I cringe. Let me know when we are anywhere near that successful and not finishing under .500 on an annual basis.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron