Dowling Catholic's Ryan Boyle commits to the Hawks

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
WE never offered. Not that we weren't going to, but Mangino wanted to see the kid throw in person before making a decision.

Right. Good for Boyle, I hope he has a great career but Mangino isn't offering just because he's from Iowa. I hate not getting the Paulsens though.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
You seem pretty locked into Iowa kids. Have you heard anything about the FR QB at Norwalk. Got a buddy that tells me he is a D1 kid. Same guy told me about Boyle after his FR year and said he was a D1 player.

Deano, the kid from Norwalk is very good. Probably to early to tell if he's D1 good but he had a very productive year for a freshman. He's got nice size, already about 6'3 I think and had nice arm strength for a freshman. It's going to be fun watching him develop.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Well it is true. Can't blame the kid. Had ISU offered earlier good chance he would have picked ISU. Kid wants a spot and this was his first major offer.

True, I can't blame the kid, and I think he's going to be a good one. Just hope he doesn't come back to bite us like David Johnson. I really hope we can land Burrow, He looks like he's got similar skills to Boyle with a little better size.

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
As I remember we (Mangino) wanted to see him throw at one of our camps before we offered and that makes perfect sense to me. No automatic offers just because we wanted a Dowling kid on the roster.

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
Kid threw for 1800+ yds, 21 TDs (to 3 Ints) and also rushed for 1300+ yds and 24 TDs.

I know we have a glut of QBs (none that seem that good IMHO) so I'm curious if we stay in touch.

iowaboy

Apr 4, 2008
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Name the last QB that Iowa has manufactured. They decide on a QB, play him for 4 years all the time and NEVER develop anything else. Then we wonder why Iowa sucks. Boyle while talented will never see his talents polished at Iowa. he will get comfortable with the bench and water cooler situation however. Ferentz doesn't develop skill position players. He develops lineman......

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Kid threw for 1800+ yds, 21 TDs (to 3 Ints) and also rushed for 1300+ yds and 24 TDs.

I know we have a glut of QBs (none that seem that good IMHO) so I'm curious if we stay in touch.

I'm bummed he committed early as I at least was hoping he'd go to our camp so Mangino could decide on him. He's more than a drop back qb so will be interesting if Iowa changes their offense to use his running ability. At least now maybe we can really zero in on Burrow and get him. Not saying the Texas qb coming in won't be good, he's a speedster, but not many passing highlights in his video so we'll see.

HawkGuy

Sep 1, 2012
Sam Richardson
Grant Rohach
Trevor Hodge
Joel Lanning
DLC

Not sure Boyle was needed. Plus I am sure Mangenius will find the type of QB HE wants.

If Mangino doesn't have the type of QB HE wants then how is Iowa State going to be some sort of offensive juggernaut like I keep reading and hearing from Cyclone fans? Maybe ISU does end up scoring 40 points per game but their defense will give up 60.

HawkGuy

Sep 1, 2012
I don't think he ends up at QB. Most likely a LB or Safety.

I think you're right. And that would be just fine. Iowa has done this with a lot of players. Marvin McNutt comes to mind. Iowa offered Boyle because he's an athlete. Gives them options with him.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I think you're right. And that would be just fine. Iowa has done this with a lot of players. Marvin McNutt comes to mind. Iowa offered Boyle because he's an athlete. Gives them options with him.

Jmo but I think if Iowa tries to move Boyle to another position he'll be gone. He's not a speedster so wide receiver is questionable. He'd have to put on a lot of weight to be a linebacker. Safety possibly, but again not super speed and I don't think he's played any defense in high school. He's a qb and imo that's where he'll play someplace, we'll see.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If Mangino doesn't have the type of QB HE wants then how is Iowa State going to be some sort of offensive juggernaut like I keep reading and hearing from Cyclone fans? Maybe ISU does end up scoring 40 points per game but their defense will give up 60.

I guess that this is a little difficult for you to grasp, but having coached various styles of quarterbacks, Mark Mangino is a good enough coach that he adjust his schemes and styles to the strengths of the quarterbacks he has.

But then, some people are just dim--and it has nothing to do with whether they are Cyclone or Hawkeye fans.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
If you have 5 Qbs you have no Qbs isn't that the old adage.

rickyrudd

Oct 10, 2010
Name the last QB that Iowa has manufactured. They decide on a QB, play him for 4 years all the time and NEVER develop anything else. Then we wonder why Iowa sucks. Boyle while talented will never see his talents polished at Iowa. he will get comfortable with the bench and water cooler situation however. Ferentz doesn't develop skill position players. He develops lineman......

Iowa has had 1 losing season in the last 12 years.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron