Dowling Catholic's Ryan Boyle commits to the Hawks

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
WE never offered. Not that we weren't going to, but Mangino wanted to see the kid throw in person before making a decision.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
WE never offered. Not that we weren't going to, but Mangino wanted to see the kid throw in person before making a decision.

But but since Iowa offered, he must be good. He will be the next "diamond in the rough". I have read a lot of places this could cause Iowa to lose Beneventi, the "gem" of their class so far, so was it worth the offer. For ISU give me Joe Burrow - Yahoo! Sports over any quarterback in the 2015 class.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
But but since Iowa offered, he must be good. He will be the next "diamond in the rough". I have read a lot of places this could cause Iowa to lose Beneventi, the "gem" of their class so far, so was it worth the offer. For ISU give me Joe Burrow - Yahoo! Sports over any quarterback in the 2015 class.

That is just stupid. If the kid is afraid of competition, I wouldn't exactly call him the gem of the class. If he leaves Iowa because they got another QB to committ, I'd say let him go.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
That is just stupid. If the kid is afraid of competition, I wouldn't exactly call him the gem of the class. If he leaves Iowa because they got another QB to committ, I'd say let him go.

Unless he was told he would be the only quarterback in the class.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Sam Richardson
Grant Rohach
Trevor Hodge
Joel Lanning
DLC

Not sure Boyle was needed. Plus I am sure Mangenius will find the type of QB HE wants.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Sam Richardson
Grant Rohach
Trevor Hodge
Joel Lanning
DLC

Not sure Boyle was needed. Plus I am sure Mangenius will find the type of QB HE wants.

Exactly, less about Boyle, more about ISU already having 5 QBs jr year or younger).

ThurgoodMarshal

Jul 18, 2011
Ankeny, IA
We have more than enough QBs so....

images

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
LOL, keep telling yourself that. Here are just a few of these Iowa kids under KF that have "few big offers" who go on to make an NFL roster: Robert Gallery, Dallas Clark, Pat Angerer, Mitch King, Matt Kroul, Brandon Myers, Allen Reisner, Tyler Sash, Julian Vandervelde, Marshall Yanda.

How about other Iowa kids who have "few big offers" that become multi year starters: Brandon Schreff, James Morris, Dominic Alvis, Conner Boffeli, Brett Van Sloten, plus more I'm sure I'm forgetting at the moment.

With that track record, Iowa isn't getting "lucky" and finding "diamonds in the rough". The Iowa coaching staff does a remarkably good job of evaluating and then developing talent in it's own back yard. Keep telling yourself that ISU isn't missing out on anything when these Iowa kids go to Iowa.....

I think he was addressing the lack of big offers in the current crop of HS athletes in Iowa. Not the University of Iowa.

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
Missing out on the Paulsen's or Newborg hurts more than Boyle. Even though Boyle video that I've seen looks pretty decent. Hes not very tall though.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Missing out on the Paulsen's or Newborg hurts more than Boyle. Even though Boyle video that I've seen looks pretty decent. Hes not very tall though.

I would take the Paulsen twins but thats about it. Although its apparent this staff is going JUCO over high school.

deanvogs

Oct 25, 2009

You seem pretty locked into Iowa kids. Have you heard anything about the FR QB at Norwalk. Got a buddy that tells me he is a D1 kid. Same guy told me about Boyle after his FR year and said he was a D1 player.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Whatever. I just pulled the first card out of my "common excuses why a recruit chose IoLa" bag.

Well it is true. Can't blame the kid. Had ISU offered earlier good chance he would have picked ISU. Kid wants a spot and this was his first major offer.