Dow down 3,000 points in the last week

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
After dealing with factories and transportation companies for several weeks trying to ship out of China or should I say their inability to do so, decided to move some stock to cash early last week.

.Q1 earnings will be bad for lots of companies, maybe even in Q2. Especially the transportation and retail sector.

When the ports of LA/Long Beach (largest ports in the US) close for multiple days in a week due to lack of shipments in or out (something they never have done except for holiday or labor issues) not a good sign.

L

LincolnWay187

My wild ass guess..we are headed for 15 percent or more losses. The market is only where we were in November..

• Agree
Reactions: Clonefan2022

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Bye bye 401k for now
Unless you are retiring soon this isn't bad at all. No, moving under an overpass, in a warmer climate, is not retiring.

I liquidated a bunch of Apple. When to get back in will be interesting.

Last edited:

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
FWIW, our companies will be 18% off due to the virus for Q1. First three weeks of Q1 showed growth.

Getting it all flushed so Q2 is on track.

keeping staff and pay increases tho.

Month of May will be the reckoning, we know a lot more and make decisions.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Unless you are retiring soon this isn't bad at all. No, moving under an overpass, in a warmer climate, is not retiring.

I liquidated a bunch of Apple. When to get back in will be interesting.

Yeah....it is interesting how my perspective has changed over the yrs. I used to think I was so smart.

I'm probably a bit longer in the tooth than many on the thread. I've subjected my aggressive investing in my 401k to the dot.com bubble, 09/11, 2008, etc. etc.

There is no doubt that taking these body punches does tend to make a person a bit more reserved over time and that is despite experiencing (time and time again) first-hand reality that those losses not only came back...but eventually roared past the previous highs.

My reality is I've saved/invested aggressively....very aggressive with the target of early retirement (which for me means quitting my corporate job within the next 2 yrs and transitioning to doing what I desire to do (which will likely be not as lucrative. Because of this, my current retirement savings amt is especially important to me....and makes me nervous much more so than in the past 20 yrs of investing.

<edit> I just realized I probably didn't contribute anything of value with this comment to the thread, other than selfishly just brain dumping. Sorry.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
After dealing with factories and transportation companies for several weeks trying to ship out of China or should I say their inability to do so, decided to move some stock to cash early last week.

.Q1 earnings will be bad for lots of companies, maybe even in Q2. Especially the transportation and retail sector.

When the ports of LA/Long Beach (largest ports in the US) close for multiple days in a week due to lack of shipments in or out (something they never have done except for holiday or labor issues) not a good sign.

My toy factories back online two days ago. Little more than double typical CNY holiday.

Gonna be a really busy March.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Yeah....it is interesting how my perspective has changed over the yrs. I used to think I was so smart.

I'm probably a bit longer in the tooth than many on the thread. I've subjected my aggressive investing in my 401k to the dot.com bubble, 09/11, 2008, etc. etc.

There is no doubt that taking these body punches does tend to make a person a bit more reserved over time and that is despite experiencing (time and time again) first-hand reality that those losses not only came back...but eventually roared past the previous highs.

My reality is I've saved/invested aggressively....very aggressive with the target of early retirement (which for me means quitting my corporate job within the next 2 yrs and transitioning to doing what I desire to do (which will likely be not as lucrative. Because of this, my current retirement savings amt is especially important to me....and makes me nervous much more so than in the past 20 yrs of investing.

<edit> I just realized I probably didn't contribute anything of value with this comment to the thread, other than selfishly just brain dumping. Sorry.

If I was retiring in 2 years I would be stressed out. Does that help? :)

• Useful
Reactions: NENick

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
My toy factories back online two days ago. Little more than double typical CNY holiday.

Gonna be a really busy March.
Glad they are back They getting raw materials for production beyond March.. Vendors I spoke to saying that will be there next big issue.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
When I'm 2 years from retirement, I hope I have enough sense to be very conservative. I'm at least 10 years from retirement and feel like I'm being pretty aggressive with a 70/30 mix

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
  • Informative
Reactions: CascadeClone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Glad they are back They getting raw materials for production beyond March.. Vendors I spoke to saying that will be there next big issue.

There was already a big log jam of people trying to get projects done early out of fear of trade war coming to this industry for first time.

The trade war fears are on top of typical CNY delay which is now on top of almost a month extra of virus shut down.

NateTheBoss

Nov 21, 2013
I'm within 5 years of retirement and wasn't feeling stressed until 30 minutes ago when I started reading this thread. :(
Even bear markets recover in about 4 years. You will be fine. On the bright side you can get some pretty good discounts if it keeps tanking.

• Friendly
Reactions: NENick

80sClone

Dec 29, 2014
People. Remain calm. This isn't Animal House. Think about your money timeline and life expectancy. If you are retired or a few years away from retiring you still need money in equities to offset the cost of inflation and taxation. This should be money you dont plan to need for 7 or more years. Let the market downturns work through and focus on TIME and dividend reinvestment and not on the ESPN of financial reporting which is CNBC and carnival Barker Jim Cramer.

Help Support Us

Become a patron