• "To This Stupid ****ing Song"

Votes: 164 74.5%

• Total voters

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Iowa State University is located in Ames, IA where Nick Nolte once lived, who was in Tropic Thunder with Tom Cruise, who was in a few good men with Kevin Bacon. Done

cycoOJfan89

Oct 20, 2009
Ames/Cedar Rapids
Settle an argument between a friend of mine and I.

He claims the words to the "don't know the words" song go "Don't know the words, don't know the words, don't know the words and I don't care"

I claim that the words go "Don't know the words, don't know the words, don't know the words to this stupid ****ing song!"

Which one is it?

your friend = fail

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
"I don't care"

The other one is classless and rude.

I haven't read the rest of the thread but you're going to get hammered for this opinion. I share it with you. It bothers me to the point that I hope the band stops playing the song and they stand absolutely no chance of getting any money from me with their stupid calls until they do.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I haven't read the rest of the thread but you're going to get hammered for this opinion. I share it with you. It bothers me to the point that I hope the band stops playing the song and they stand absolutely no chance of getting any money from me with their stupid calls until they do.

Your pettiness bugs me way more than any immaturity would.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Your pettiness bugs me way more than any immaturity would.

If pettiness includes refusing to support something that I find to be embarrassing for the university, sign me up.

By the way, I graduated within the last 5 years so it's not like I'm some old coot. Just a young coot.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
If pettiness includes refusing to support something that I find to be embarrassing for the university, sign me up.

By the way, I graduated within the last 5 years so it's not like I'm some old coot. Just a young coot.

I took it as "I am in a position to financially help the band program at Iowa State. The one thing that is stopping me from doing this is that they are indirectly responsible for something I find embarassing, but they have no real control over." So yes, petty.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
They don't have control over whether they play the song or not? Sweet mother, get me one of those instruments that plays songs on it's own, it will make the whole process that much easier. Of course you do have those embarrassing moments where it just starts going and you can't turn it off in public.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
They don't have control over whether they play the song or not? Sweet mother, get me one of those instruments that plays songs on it's own, it will make the whole process that much easier. Of course you do have those embarrassing moments where it just starts going and you can't turn it off in public.

It's not their fault somebody made lyrics to the song, which I don't think is worth near the outrage some people are showing here. It's been in that routine for a long time. It's not like the university has done anything to try to cut it off and I don't see you taunting them with money until they do what you think they should.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I have emailed both the university and the band on this matter and the university is reluctant to meddle with the band (which is a good thing). It's not my fault if my dog takes a dump in my neighbor's yard either, but it's my responsibility to clean up the mess.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I have emailed both the university and the band on this matter and the university is reluctant to meddle with the band (which is a good thing). It's not my fault if my dog takes a dump in my neighbor's yard either, but it's my responsibility to clean up the mess.

Whatever. If that song is the biggest embarassment this university has, they are doing pretty damn well.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
It's Option 1 for those of us that know what Hilton Magic means. Those of you that helped ruin it created Option 2.

This I take umbrage with. My father was at ISU in the 70's and it was "Stupid effing" then. He was there for the beginning of Hilton Magic. I personally have sat faithfully through the good and the bad years. I was there for every single NCAA berth that ISU has had. I made him miss the free throw, along with the 15,000 other people who screamed. I still cheered when our point guard was Paris Corner...

To claim that singing one version of the song or another means we don't have a clue what Hilton Magic means is straight up ********.

I have spellcheck.

mbbone

Jan 4, 2010
there actually aren't any words to the song other than "Go, Go, Go, Go Go Go" right in the middle, which isn't nearly as much fun as the alternate lyrics. Athletics has been leaning on the band to get rid of the song altogether for a few years now, but so far they haven't done it because no one can come up with a song to replace it with in pregame. For some reason "Rise Sons of Iowa State" our third fight song that never gets played, isn't an option. It sounds a lot like "For I, For S, Forever", so maybe that's why. In the meantime no one in the band is to sing any words to the song, and we're supposed to tell our friends not to, like that'll work.

In regards to the alternate lyrics, I'd say it depends on who you're standing next to. When I was little, my parents told me the words were: "don't know the words to our school song". It was only when I got here that I heard anything different.

Last edited:

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
It's amazing how often topics fall into generational disputes (such as the Conan topic). Older folks, before you judge us, just remember how the generations before you over-reacted to stuff. "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" was scandalous and Elvis Presley was trying to impregnate every teenage girl in America by wiggling his hips on television.

There is one question I have about generational ethics. Two generations from now, when teachers will be leading their students in ritualistic cannibalism, will it be okay, because every generation did something to tick off the prior generation?

Actually, historically speaking, it's an ebb and flow thing. And the collapse of society mores usually results in really, really bad things happening, causing things to eventually swing back the other way.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
So is being a message board know-it-all but who is keeping track?

And it's a stupid ******* song. :biggrin:

If it isn't classless and rude, then why can't you use that word on this board without it turning into *'s?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Whatever. If that song is the biggest embarassment this university has, they are doing pretty damn well.

:yes: I'll never understand the level of offense that people assign to a stupid 4 letter word. It's a joke. So what? Embarrassing was ISU fans yelling racial epithets at Iowa's black QB in the early 80's. Not saying the "f word".

Phaedrus said:
There is one question I have about generational ethics. Two generations from now, when teachers will be leading their students in ritualistic cannibalism, will it be okay, because every generation did something to tick off the prior generation?

Because saying "****" and eating people are really on the same level. And I'm the one with poor logic.