Dog Showing Aggression to Certain People

timdcy

Nov 27, 2006
The Gore Range
The whole breed thing gets pretty stupid. The neighbors newly adopted rescue basset hound growled at me yesterday. This didn't exactly set my hair on edge. Later, while walking the neighborhood, I met another neighbor walking his pit. Now if that dog had growled at me it would have set my hair on edge. It's like the difference between a BB gun and a 45. Both are guns and can go off but I am not that scared of BB guns.

That's a fair way to put it.

The last time I was back in Iowa I went to my sisters farmhouse where her in-laws border collie-mix bit me in the back of the leg (drawing blood). This was after I had let it sniff me, and reached out my hand to try and pet it. Using some of the logic I've seen in this thread, I guess I should support a breed ban on all collies.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
@GM4ISU, you are really going to dislike that post? The relationship between Human Beings and Dogs is much more complex than saying they are just animals. There is a real, symbiotic relationship that over 10s of thousands of years, has developed to what it is today.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
People still apologize for this breed when faced with clear facts.

Pit Bulls are not fit for decent society. They have an obvious propensity for violence.

Ban them.

Where is the stats on dog attacks. Pitt Bulls will have more kills because the bite force is between 250 and 300 lbs.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Where is the stats on dog attacks. Pitt Bulls will have more kills because the bite force is between 250 and 300 lbs.

That is what worries me. A little, white fluffly dog bit me on the hand as I was putting it up in an effort to stop jumping on me. It drew blood but it was no big deal. It was a little dog that couldn't do jack to me.

While walking home last year, a guy was walking his huge dog down the street and it was nipping at me. I was very nervous. There isn't much I could have done to stop the dog from ripping me apart.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
1406606669132.png

fenton06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2011
Ankeny, IA
Bunch of twats in here.

All dogs attack, some hurt more than others. Chihuahuas get a pass for being super aggressive little ***** only because they can't really inflict serious damage. Pit bulls were bred to fight, yes, and that's why their bite is so strong. They also happen to be abused at disproportional rates and are portrayed as monsters, even though ****** owners are the problem.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
OP, as already stated, it's likely that your dog was abused by a male early in life. This can be trained out if it, but it will take time and patience. There's a wealth of great advice in here already to help with that.

There's no such thing as a bad kid, only bad parents. The same applies to pets.

Reactions: SpokaneCY
L

LincolnWay187

Lol, 254 total deaths over 12 years. Man, that's pretty dangerous!

How many tens of thousands of pit bulls are out there again?
Seems high to me. Would not be a pleasant way to die. Also factor in people who survived and torn to shreds, lost eyes, etc. The girl I went to high school, a dog got a hold of her face...

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Seems high to me. Would not be a pleasant way to die. Also factor in people who survived and torn to shreds, lost eyes, etc. The girl I went to high school, a dog got a hold of her face...
~20 deaths a year seems high?

Of all things that inadvertently kill people on this planet, we are concerned about banning a dog? Seriously now.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
People still apologize for this breed when faced with clear facts.

Pit Bulls are not fit for decent society. They have an obvious propensity for violence.

Ban them.
I could argue the same about other dog breeds as well. German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Dobermans, Mastiffs. Dogs bred to guard. That doesn't mean we should get rid of them.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
The whole breed thing gets pretty stupid. The neighbors newly adopted rescue basset hound growled at me yesterday. This didn't exactly set my hair on edge. Later, while walking the neighborhood, I met another neighbor walking his pit. Now if that dog had growled at me it would have set my hair on edge. It's like the difference between a BB gun and a 45. Both are guns and can go off but I am not that scared of BB guns.
I get this. It's no different from people: if some little manlet gets in your face about something stupid, no big deal. If a 6'7", 260LB gym rat gets in your face, you might get nervous. Size matters, and that applies to dogs just the same (not just pitbulls, either).