Dog Showing Aggression to Certain People

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
My dog gets very excited when people come to the door, or he's about to go out the door. When we can control it we don't let the person enter until he calms down (or don't let him go out until he calms down), rewarding him with treats when he sits by us waiting.

I'm not sure whether that would work with aggressive behavior. I know in my case his reward is meeting the person coming in, and so delaying that until he shows the right behavior works. I'm not sure that an aggressive dog will see someone entering their territory as a reward. Best of luck, hope you are able to work with her and keep her in your home!

timdcy

Nov 27, 2006
The Gore Range

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
We adopted one of the Eastern Iowa Shih Tzu's last winter. Clearly not a dangerous type of dog, but it took about 6 months of patience and understanding before she really got back to acting like a normal dog. I think we were pretty lucky, as she was just really shy, timid and nervous. We also have two other little dogs that I think helped her transition. I know that your size of dog is a completely different animal, but do as much as you can to learn her behaviors and how to help her acclimate. A lot of times it's not aggression so much as fear.

Reactions: cycloneshort

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
First thing I thought. A neighbor has a rescue dog who is almost 15 years old now. They've had her for 10+ years. Aside from the owner, I am the only other man who can get near her. She isn't aggressive towards men, she simply runs away and hides whenever one shows up. She also runs away whenever she hears an F-bomb dropped, regardless of who says it. Sad, but she's an awesome dog.
My sister had a rescue that was similar. It started hanging around their house and it was skin and bones. She decided she couldn't watch this dog starve to death so she started putting food out. This dog was scared of everybody but my sister and her husband. He then warmed up to my mom and dad. Everyone else he was afraid of. As years went by he became less scared but still always had his tail tucked between his legs. Whoever had that dog before must have really done a number on it. Don't know why, it was a really nice looking dog with a real great personality.

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
I'd like to know the circumstances of the Pit-Bull deaths.

Is it the dogs fault that its aggressive when the owner keeps it chained up outside to a tree 24/7 and doesn't show it any affection.. at all?

Is it the dogs fault it was raised in a puppy mill to be sold off for fighting?

Definitely a fair question, but it's pretty overwhelming evidence that the odds are higher.

My phone is 95% pictures of my dogs, couldn't love them more. I just don't think a pitbull would be worth the risk with a child at home (for me).

Last edited:

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Definitely a fair question, but it's pretty overwhelming evidence that the odds are higher.

My phone is 95% pictures of my dogs, couldn't love them more. I just don't think it a pitbull would be worth the risk with a child at home (for me).

And that's fair as well, but I think most of bad rap they get comes from the fighting.

People hear "Pit-Bull" and INSTANTLY think that it is a meat eating, killer, which is not at all true.

L

LincolnWay187

**** pit bulls. I know they can be friendly and definitely love their owners but they are guard dogs at heart. My friend adopted one and was playfully nipping at me while we ran...insanely sharp teeth. The comedian bill burr gave his adopted pitt awaywhen he had a daughter and he loved that dog..it was doing the same thing as yours and he has always said he made the right decision. The new owner brought over the dog to visit bill and it sat there growling by the infant.

• Disagree
Reactions: CY88CE11
L

LincolnWay187

Liability? I'd trump that with responsibility especially with a dog that has started to show aggression. If someone ends up getting hurt by this dog, and it's a breed strong enough to hurt someone, it won't really be a totally unforeseeable "accident."

I returned a rescue after he took a snapping bite at some kids out of the blue. He's was only a 25 pound basenji but I was not going to take any chance that he would scar some little kid. He was an adult dog and I wasn't going to mess/train trying to change him. He had been listed and evaluated as super friendly and non aggressive. They relisted him as having a "unique" personality and that he snaps/bites, my read = "unpredictable". Kinda disappointing to find that a lot of the rescues, even when fostered for a while, are not honest with the dogs traits. The two previous basenjis were the gentlest dogs ever and a child could probably have pulled theirs tails off without them snapping back.
I went to high school with a girl who was mangled by a dog. 99 percent of dogs are great but people.sometimes forget what kind of damage a dog can really do

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

timdcy

Nov 27, 2006
The Gore Range

What is a Pit Bull?: It is commonly accepted that “pit bull” is not a breed but a loosely defined and general category. Definition of this category varies depending upon the source. Any blocky headed dog, or any mix of breeds that is between 35 and 100 pounds and upwards of 30 individual dog breeds may currently fall in this broad category through the use of visual breed identification.

How are pit bulls identified?: Visual breed identification, or the extremely scientific (insert sarcasm) process of tilting your head 30 degrees to the right or left and guessing based on a few, basic traits and the inability to automatically identify the dog as something else, is how pit bulls are identified.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/steffen-baldwin/the-lies-damn-lies-and-st_b_8112394.html

Reactions: ZB4CY

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
When I read the OP I never in a million years would have guessed this thread would devolve into a Pit Bull demonizing/Pit Bull apologist thread.

I am not calling either camp those terms, but more the way they are characterized by the other camp.

• Funny
Reactions: Cycsk

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I went to high school with a girl who was mangled by a dog. 99 percent of dogs are great but people.sometimes forget what kind of damage a dog can really do

This.

Pretty much cemented by an experience as a little kid. Was riding in my dad's truck delivering fuel to farms. This one farmyard had a big dog running all over aggressively barking. My dad told me to stay in the truck. Farmer dude says the dog is fine. Dad repeats stay in the truck. Dad told me latter that this dog had badly mauled the farmer's grandson. This was maybe 1960 or so. My dad told me any dog he owned that mauled anyone won't have seen the sunset.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The whole breed thing gets pretty stupid. The neighbors newly adopted rescue basset hound growled at me yesterday. This didn't exactly set my hair on edge. Later, while walking the neighborhood, I met another neighbor walking his pit. Now if that dog had growled at me it would have set my hair on edge. It's like the difference between a BB gun and a 45. Both are guns and can go off but I am not that scared of BB guns.