Do special teams/kicking woes catch up to us this Sat?

Montgomery-Magic

Oct 17, 2017
Against Baylor I think our D wins the day once again, but I am worried our special team problems finally catch up to us. Honestly, i think we were LUCKY to beat TT. (But football gods' verdict we definitely had it coming considering last season tough breaks e.g. ******* KANSAS STATE, OSU, Iowa, not to mention the cancellation of SDSU this year which probably was a factor in losing to TCU d/t delayed tune-up.) Can anyone say some hopeful things about turning around special teams before Texas next week? We cannot keeping putting our D against the wall like this.

Tangents.

Who wants to bet the CMC has some special tight end packages on deck for the Texas game, and some sturdy short pass plays to counteract the blitz. I still have nightmares about last year when their NFL D line ran through us like a wet paper towel.

I would pay good money to learn the real story behind that K-State conspiracy.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Define “catch up”? CMC has talked about how ISU doesn’t have any margin for error. Well, against Baylor’s horrible defense, st Jack Trice, we do,

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Could.

I think tomorrow's going to be a weird game. I'm not so sure Baylor's defense is going to give up the points like they have.

DhaCheann

Mar 31, 2012
Denver, CO
Against Baylor I think our D wins the day once again, but I am worried our special team problems finally catch up to us. Honestly, i think we were LUCKY to beat TT. (But football gods' verdict we definitely had it coming considering last season tough breaks e.g. ******* KANSAS STATE, OSU, Iowa, not to mention the cancellation of SDSU this year which probably was a factor in losing to TCU d/t delayed tune-up.) Can anyone say some hopeful things about turning around special teams before Texas next week? We cannot keeping putting our D against the wall like this.

Tangents.

Who wants to bet the CMC has some special tight end packages on deck for the Texas game, and some sturdy short pass plays to counteract the blitz. I still have nightmares about last year when their NFL D line ran through us like a wet paper towel.

I would pay good money to learn the real story behind that K-State conspiracy.

Take this bad juju somewhere else

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Assalley bounced back last week and we didn't see any bad kickoffs from Francis. The return game was fine. But we need Dunn to step up and be more consistent or that will bite us sooner or later.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

Isu4meandyou

Nov 18, 2017
I have to say I'm worried we're probably going to leave some points out there today. Due to special teams, I could see a missed field-goal possibly a bad punt or two costing us some points. So I think we're only going to win about 44 to 10.

• Friendly
Reactions: khardbored

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
28e7830a8f11ea33eb32bff24ec6eb985f3f23b3d7624abd781a0e1e11aafd75.jpg

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Most of the special teams issues have been with blocking, and that should be correctable. BU did block and return a punt against KSU, so they are capable. Dunn has not been great, but he certainly has not been like he was in the first game of the year. He was actually very good against WVU, with a 60+ yard punt and dropped a couple out of bounds inside the 20.

KSU ran for 9.1 YPC against Baylor last week. The ISU OL is still not where it needs to be, but DM is going to have some opportunities for big runs today. Just need to grind out a win.

Montgomery-Magic

Oct 17, 2017
Most of the special teams issues have been with blocking, and that should be correctable. BU did block and return a punt against KSU, so they are capable. Dunn has not been great, but he certainly has not been like he was in the first game of the year. He was actually very good against WVU, with a 60+ yard punt and dropped a couple out of bounds inside the 20.

KSU ran for 9.1 YPC against Baylor last week. The ISU OL is still not where it needs to be, but DM is going to have some opportunities for big runs today. Just need to grind out a win.

I thought last week he shanked one. But TT was scary. What I’m actually concerned about is getting special teams up to big 12 standards by next week when we might need to be able to hit a 40 yard field goal and actually punt well In a tight spot

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This has me concerned every time we step on the field, but luckily it hasn't really cost us a game yet.

I just want to see some positives and improvement each and every game from our special teams. That's it. I don't want to see anymore fair catches inside the 10 yd line for example. I want to see Dunn get a bit better each and every week. The blocking on both punts and FGs needs to improve obviously.

If we can just get to be average in special teams we should be fine. Right now we aren't even average yet IMO. It's been dreadful.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
This has me concerned every time we step on the field, but luckily it hasn't really cost us a game yet.

I just want to see some positives and improvement each and every game from our special teams. That's it. I don't want to see anymore fair catches inside the 10 yd line for example. I want to see Dunn get a bit better each and every week. The blocking on both punts and FGs needs to improve obviously.

If we can just get to be average in special teams we should be fine. Right now we aren't even average yet IMO. It's been dreadful.

We have been so good on special teams that we have not even thought about it for quite a while. We should have seen this coming, new punter, new kicker, new special teams coach too I think. kind of feel the same why about the OL. They are coming around, but having a new, inexperienced coach there probably has not helped the situation, especially at the beginning of the year, when they were just awful.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron